UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 136 Posts

·
Bugsy & Bee, and old Mr. Charlie
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought it might be nice to chat about books! I have noticed a few bits and pieces about books in other threads and as someone who reads every single day and is always after recommendations it’s always good to have places to come and chat about reads and books people love.

Apologies if there is already a thread like this - I couldn’t find one.

So, I have just started The Midnight Library by Matt Haig. It’s early to give any thoughts but I can tell it’s going to be a thought-provoking one for sure.

·
Human mother to Oscar
12,813 Posts
I used to be a prolific reader but the past couple of years I’ve struggled to concentrate enough to read “proper” books. For the longest time I couldn’t even read a “fluffy” book.

So my current favourite to read (full on fluffy books) are Lucy Diamond. I’m awaiting the Richard Osman book from the library, it’s meant to be great. Might be a long wait though, given lockdown!

I’ll keep my eye on this thread for recommendations :)

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I love reading it's always been my 'escape', since getting my dog I haven't been able to read so much, but last year (2019) I was determined to start again and I am reading a bit, not as much as I'd like but it's a good start, I'm currently reading Narrow margins, it's about a families adventures living on a narrow boat and it's really funny.

·
Swamprat
12,441 Posts
I recently finished "Winter Garden" by Kristen Hannah, historical fiction about the siege of Leningrad in WW2. Most WW2 novels are about the Holocaust and the fighting on the western side so it was interesting to me to read a novel from the Russian perspective.

In that same vein of reading something from a different perspective I also recently read "The Mountains Sing" by Nguyen Phan Que Mai (translated) about the Vietnam war, but again, not the American perspective, but the Vietnamese perspective. I found it extremely educational and it's beautifully written.

Currently reading "Remember Me" by Mario Escobar about the Spanish civil war and I'm having trouble getting in to it. IDK if it's just a bad translation or if the writing is just that bad or if I'm just over war books. I'm not particularly a war buff it's just coincidence that my last 2 books were war related.

On my night table is "The Book of Longings" by Sue Monk Kidd. I absolutely loved "The Secret Life of Bees" so I may have to put Remember Me down and read that instead.

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to be a prolific reader but the past couple of years I've struggled to concentrate enough to read "proper" books. For the longest time I couldn't even read a "fluffy" book.

So my current favourite to read (full on fluffy books) are Lucy Diamond. I'm awaiting the Richard Osman book from the library, it's meant to be great. Might be a long wait though, given lockdown!

I'll keep my eye on this thread for recommendations :)
Would audiobooks help you focus more maybe?

I don't read huge amounts of fluff, but two I read this year and enjoyed were Surprise Me by Sophie Kinsella and Beach Read by Emily Henry.

·
Look into my eyes....
17,612 Posts
I’ve recently finished Those Who are Loved by Victoria Hislop which I really enjoyed. Set in Greece during and after the last war and follows a family almost up to date. I had very little idea of Greek political history during this time so I learned a lot. Very readable book

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I got the midnight library for Christmas, along with several other books.
My sister gave me a load of books that she said can go to charity after so I'm currently reading one of them, "the stranger beside me" by Ann Rule.
Its about Ted Bundy the serial killer.

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Loving all this chat! I've not read many historical fictions, they're definitely something I want to start getting into @O2.0 @Siskin

I've got Lovely War by Julie Berry and Wolf by Wolf by Ryan Graudin on my shelf to read. The first is WW1 but focused on love stories told from the perspective of Greek gods. The second is an alternate history as if the Axis powers had won WW2.

·
Registered
14,957 Posts
I've just finished The Midnight Library which is being reviewed in my online book group. I enjoyed it but not sure I loved it. It felt like a lot was crammed in and the penultimate life left me uneasy.

@Siskin I have Those Who Are Loved to read. After reading more about the Durrell family and seeing bits of the adaptation on ITV - albeit adapted with artistic licence and visited the Ionian islands I wanted to find out more.

I recently enjoyed Kate Atkinson's Transcription, Elizabeth Jane Howard's Cazalet Chronicles (desperate to find another comparable series - I didn't think I'd like them at all but enjoyed The Long View) and Helen Dunmore's Exposure. All might be of interest to anyone seeking historical novels.

·
Anne two black and white boys and a Nortie Tortie
1,806 Posts
Just finished Haunted Kirkcaly by Gregor Stewart. Local ghost stories
Listening to Scarecrow by Matthew Reilly Fiction about U.S. Marines
Reading Thursday's Child by Noel Streatfield kid's booking relaxing for last thing at night.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I used to be a prolific reader but the past couple of years I've struggled to concentrate enough to read "proper" books. For the longest time I couldn't even read a "fluffy" book.

So my current favourite to read (full on fluffy books) are Lucy Diamond. I'm awaiting the Richard Osman book from the library, it's meant to be great. Might be a long wait though, given lockdown!

The Thursday murder club is excellent!

I've read many of Victoria Hislop's books - my favourite is The Island, perhaps because I've actually been to Spinalonga the former leper colony.

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Just finished Haunted Kirkcaly by Gregor Stewart. Local ghost stories
Listening to Scarecrow by Matthew Reilly Fiction about U.S. Marines
Reading Thursday's Child by Noel Streatfield kid's booking relaxing for last thing at night.
I've read Thursday Child, still got it I think, I enjoyed it, will have to see if I still have it and give it another read.

Reactions: cava14 una

·
Super Moderator
11,995 Posts
I enjoyed the Thursday Murder Club too
I was looking at that just this morning. But I've got a backlog of books to read (if/when the girls give me a chance :rolleyes: . I might start banishing hem to the bedroom for half an hour to get some reading in. :D )

Anyway, back on topic.

I have ,(as usual) two on the go ATM.

The Girl Who Fell From the Sky, by Simon Mawer. . . . 4/5ths the way through and still waiting for something to happen. :Bored.

It's about a female spy who's parachuted into France during WW2. Comes to something when you hope the protagonist's love interest betrays her and reports her to the Germans. Unfortunately, this far into the book, that's unlikely to happen as there's just not enough book left. . . Unless it's one of those ones that end on a cliffhanger and the story finishes just when it's getting interesting. :Muted

The second is much better. It's The Perfect Neighbours by Rachel Sargent. Hooked me from the get-go! I haven't yet worked out if it's a murder mystery or a thriller . . . Or both, but it starts with the protagonist in prison for murder, and flashbacks of the aftermath of a bloodbath. Then goes back in time for the build-up.

·
Registered
14,957 Posts

I have struggled so much too. My concentration is appalling this year. I've yet to find a book that grabs me - I love modern fiction, crime and if I have to go fluffy then Marian Keynes is about my limit but even she isn't holding my attention! Dammit!

·
Cosy Corner Collies
1,225 Posts
I am trying to get back to reading again after many years but am more interested in bio's and facts.
Am reading Noel Fitzpatrick's latest at present, very interesting and more meaningful if you have read his previous.
Also read the two books by Tom Marcus an ex MI5 agent. Very interesting but with some "anomalies" or bits redacted.

I also find it very difficult to concentrate as well as plots and details etc.

G

·
Oh good thread, I need new book suggestions. Over the past two weeks I've read 'We are all the same in the dark", "The Searcher" and "The recovery of Rose Gold". I enjoyed them all :)

·
829 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh I love Noel Fitzpatrick's books @Dave S I bought my mum a copy of the new one for Christmas, I'll have to borrow it!

@McKenzie I have The Searcher on my shelves, I love a good mystery thriller. I'll have to move it up the to read list!

1 - 20 of 136 Posts