Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What are you fussy about?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by ellenlouisepascoe, Sep 24, 2013.

1. ellenlouisepascoe

ellenlouisepascoe PetForums VIP

When it comes to your dogs?

I get called anal from my family as I don't like the dogs having their collars on when in the house, both for safety reasons and I don't want their neck fluff being all ruffled and dented from where the collars sit :eek:

I also turn down relatives giving them certain treats , or bits of "human food" from their plates, but that's mostly as pupster has an extremely sensitive stomach.

2. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

I insist that they must be well groomed.

Particularly Oscar whose coat is long and thick and can quickly look unkept if we don't keep on top of it.

3. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

I too don't like the collar thing.

Bear my cat doesn't even wear a collar! He did when I got him but it muffed up his hair, hes microchipped anyways.

Io only wears a collar for training purposes with the lead.

Again, I don't want people giving her treats unless they're ones I have given them to give to her, don't want her body pumped full of rubbish.

4. eiretzu

eiretzu PetForums Member

Our dog must be well groomed also or else he would get matted. Nobody is allowed to feed him from plates or else that would lead to begging.

Also get a bit annoyed with non-doggy visitors who allow him to jump up for attention and then give it to him will have to be more firm with them :mad:

5. ellenlouisepascoe

I groom Taz almost every day and he still looks like a scruff lol!!

I also, don't like it when people come into our home and act annoyed that the dog is here, or that they get dog hair on them.

My dog lives here! Not you!

6. sharloid

sharloid PetForums VIP

There are certain things I always do, like taking their collars off in the house but I wouldn't call it fussy. :p

7. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I am fussy about diet and I am fussy about manners around the house - no begging or sitting and staring whilst we eat, no snatching for tit bits, no barging each other out of the way for fuss / through the door etc etc.

No collars on in the house when they are to be left alone.

I get really :mad2::mad2: by hubby mucking up my training efforts.

8. tinaK

tinaK PetForums VIP

Very fussy about people giving them treats without asking. No collars on when left/overnight

9. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

People using the commands and not following through with them. my dad constantly says 'you stay in here' 'stay here' and then when jasper moves he doesn't bother and he never releases him, so now Jasper doesn't listen to stay and now has a crappy wait since my dad is now saying 'you wait here' :mad::.

i also get annoyed when people use nonsense words 'ayeyay' or 'oi!' to stop the boys from doing something . or when i tell them not to pull jasper's feet up to their laps and they just say 'i'm giving him a cuddle' :mad2:

so I constantly keep telling people to stop doing those, i must sound like a right nag but they really annoy me.

10. LolaBoo

LolaBoo PetForums VIP

No collars on at night
    No one giving them treats without asking myself or OH first
    People stroking them without asking first :(
    Got to be groomed although when lola is near haircut day no matter how much i brush her she still looks a scruff

11. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

What annoys me most is family members attempts at correcting them. Usually it involves them saying "GO AWAY! no, I said go away! lie down! go on, go and lie down! on your bed!!". Basically rambling and not giving the dog clear instructions, then they wonder why the don't respond. :rolleyes: This is usually followed by "urgh, he/she is so dumb why don't they listen?". I would bother to explain but it would fall on deaf ears and be pretty pointless.

12. Grace Bob

Grace Bob PetForums Senior

No collar on at night as it tingle alot as Bob does a lot of moving about
    Got to be groomed every day

13. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

There are lost of things i'm 'fussy' about as i'm that type of person!

I dont like:
    *Collars on in the house
    *People feeding my dogs treats without checking or asking partly because it encourages them to beg from people, and there are certain things I dont allow them to eat.
    *People touching my dogs without asking

I could go on and on without specific parameters!

14. ellenlouisepascoe

None dog people just don't understand!

I am also a bit weird with their dog bowls, they have to have "Their" bowl or my head goes boom.

Blade's is blue Taz's is green and never the two shall swap! ( unless the OH feeds them :shocked: )

15. Skinnywhippet

Skinnywhippet PetForums Member

Ummm....everything :D Really bad case of First Dog Syndrome here! It mainly cuts in when someone else is taking care of my girl, either paid dog walker or kind friend / family member. The latter i find really tricky because i know it's not really fair to swamp them with rules but on the other hand...aaaargh my head will explode if things aren't done right :frown2:

For starters:
    Lead walks for no more than 90 mins a day, ideally less. Prefer her to be on grass not road if there's a choice (she's 8 months and does intermittently get a slight limp if she's done too much)
    The right food, at the right times of day - and that means lunch still at the moment
    Making sure she remembers to drink
    Potty trips at 8, 12, 5 and 10 so as not to put a strain on her potty training
    Some quiet time during the day...she doesn't know when she's tired but does get worn out, and then starts behaving badly and / or her gets anxious and super needy
    Collar off overnight - i do leave it on in the house but she's usually supervised
    Random treats and chews make me really nervous, i just see a blockage / upset tummy on the horizon
    Discouraging unnecessary barking, either for food / play or at strangers to get attention. That one's a right pain, as is the "not jumping up" bit - yes you don't mind but next time it'll be a little kid and they won't like a huge long leg and sharp claw in their face :mad2:
    Not allowing her to chew things other than her toys - again i get the "oh i don't mind, it's old", but the thing is, you either tell her "No" straight away and it's fine, or let her do it forever cos she won't stop after the first time. That's how my MIL's lawn ended up looking like a Polo pitch, she was allowed to pull up grass to play with "just this once".... :)

16. Labrador Laura

Labrador Laura PetForums VIP

No collars in the house
    No human food - this one really bugs me as OH doesnt listen to it and always gives them left overs :mad:
    No begging or even looking at us when eating, can't stant begging for food!

And also fussy about the dogs having their own things and no sharing lol like their beds they have set beds as Mylo does get that real male smell so I don't want that on zabs bed.

17. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Er ..... Nothing?

I'm racking my brains trying to think. No dogs in the bedroom I think is the only one.

I used to say no human food, but that was because my old GD was allergic to wheat gluten so we just got in the habit of not feeding dogs scraps. But as I'm trying to get weight on Bess she gets any leftovers within reason, that she'll eat!

I'm pretty laid back about everything else.

18. Frollie

Frollie PetForums Senior

I'm really insistent about not letting Ollie run outside to greet people when they get home. It's more a safety issue than anything. He usually doesn't stray amd we don't live on a busy road but there are lots of dogs around here and all it would take is a bit of overexcitement and an ill timed car... But I generally struggle to get people to listen to me.

I also try to make sure his plates are washed as soon as he's finished eating because I don't want germs to build up.

I also have to continuously tell people not to hand feed him stuff even if they insist he 'looks hungry'.

Worst of all is when we have child visitors and I have to keep explaining it's not okay for the kids to follow him round the house trying to 'hug' him. Last time Ollie got so fed up he sought refuge at the back of the garden under the trampoline and got so matted with leaves etc that it took over an hour to get it all out. :(

19. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

That's not anal at all. I am so the same, each dog has their own bowl. Unfortunately for me my husband does not understand that the two identical stainless steel dogs bowls with paw prints on are always used for water in the kitchen. The plain stainless steel dog bowl is Jovi's food bowl. Many times I have two water bowls, side by side in their usual place in the kitchen but they do not match. Really annoys me. I thought having identical bowls would make life easier but obviously not. Have had Jovi for 10 years next month, although the house has changed the water bowls in the kitchen have been a constant.

20. BeauNoir

BeauNoir PetForums VIP

The only things are that they are not allowed on the sofa whilst anyone is eating, their collars have to be a certain way up, claws get clipped twice a week as I am neurotic about them, two closed doors/gates must always be between them and getting out onto the street.

Outside of the house I am fussy about how they are touched, I don't mind people touching them but Quinn is sensitive about his ears and Pixie can't deal with men touching her head, but is fine with women touching anywhere or men touching her back. Also the age of people as Quinn is a bit afraid of children. I have actually said to someone before 'you can stroke him but your daughter can't'. She looked most offended but hey, my dog, my rules.

The thing I get most fussy about is 'can you put the dogs in the other room'. No, I can't. I make it clear to everyone who is coming over that we have dogs and a cat and if they are allergic/scared/weird, etc, then we can meet at a cafe.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice