Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What are you feeding your cats?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by fudgebubbles, Apr 16, 2011.

1. fudgebubbles

fudgebubbles PetForums Newbie

Hello :) we are not on here alot, my mum isnt good with login in so i do it for her :biggrin5:

My mum has two lovely cats fudge and bubbles, but they have been my mums fussiest cats, we were woundering what feed everyone fed there cats to get a general idea, ours are very active and dont scoff there food so we leave some down all the time. They have science plan tuna as a main meal, and as a treat they have james welbeloved, they will only eat fish flavours. every now and then they have wet whiskers pouch as a treat but they just lick off the jelly. Mum feels there feed is boring as they wont eat different flavours, what do any of you think?

Also i see mum puts cat milk down everyday, i think thats whiskers milk, is this ok for everyday use? i dont know my cats very well as they are mums, i have my rabbits :D just thought it would be nice to get some info from people to tell mum.

O yes and both our cats are outdoors and fudge is 2 years old and bubbles is 1 years old

Thank you :D

#1 fudgebubbles, Apr 16, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2011
  2. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

I don't think milk is good for everyday, especially if it's not watered down.

A lot of people here do not rate science nor whiskers very highly.

Personally I feed an all wet diet which is various brands Inc bozita, animonda carny, Grau and skills, all available online from zooplus. Petshops are usually very limited in my experience but zooplys is free shipping over £19 so I stock up!

3. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

As gloworm*mushroom says wet food is considered to be best by most on the forum.Have a read of the A-Z list of wet food compiled by our own food guru hobbs.http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-health-nutrition/112132-z-wet-food-cats.html I have included the A-Z list of dry for you as well for you to compare the various products available. http://www.petforums.co.uk/cat-health-nutrition/116753-z-dry-food-cats.html.If If you have any questions just come back and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I get my 2 sorted out via zooplus as well. Bozita and Smilla mainly.
    Thanks to the guys help here:D

5. K1nS

K1nS PetForums Senior

Tilly is just on dry food, go cat :) and she has a small amount of cat milk of an evening :)

6. flosskins

flosskins PetForums Senior

If you're looking for fishy food P@H do a good fish tin from their Purely range - ingedients look pretty good even though i'm not normally a fan of them, but when mine have had fussy periods these have gone down really well and they're not badly priced.

7. Vampyria

Vampyria PetForums VIP

8. kerfuffle

kerfuffle PetForums Senior

Whiskas cat milk should really just be used for the occasional treat, it can make the cat very fussy in regards to drinking water in the future. Same with fish flavour cat foods, you can end up with fussy cats due to the strong smell and flavour of fish, but I think it's a bit late for that now. I don't know if you can convert a fussy fish-fiend to a non-fussy one who'll eats any flavour. If your mum wants to try to reconvert them to eat other flavours, perhaps she can try gradually mixing fish flavour with other flavour food and see how they take it, sort of like how you introduce new foods, ie first day 90% fish flavour 10% other flavour, second day 80% fish flavour 20% other flavour, and so on. Hopefully the cats will slowly get weaned off fish flavour only and will eat other flavours of cat food.

I feed a rotation of wet Smilla, Bozita, Animonda Carny, Hi-Life (using up old "kitten" pouches I got from P@H) and raw mince and occasional small chunks/strips of raw meat when I'm cooking, plus a handful of Applaws dry overnight. Smilla does a fish range that is very affordable, but I tend to just get their pure tuna flavour because it's 80% red tuna and good for the occasional feed when the cat's bored of beef or poultry. He also gets Whiskas Temptation as part of "training" (coming when he's called, sitting when he's told, playing fetch, or when successfully killed a spider) and a bit of 50/50 watered-down cat milk once a week. Also gets the occasional tablespoon of plain yogurt when I remember (once a week or fortnight).

9. Snippet

Snippet PetForums VIP

Holly has Iams adult cat food down all the time. She has a pouch of wet food in the evenings. She had cortaflex in her wet food as her front legs are getting quite arthritic. Apart from that, she sometimes gets a bit of raw meat when I'm cooking which she really enjoys.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice