Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

What are these things attached to my male giant spiny stick insect?

Discussion in 'Insects , Snails and other exotic pets' started by LH15aak, Jan 14, 2019.

1. LH15aak

LH15aak PetForums Newbie

The other day I noticed a small, round, red looking object in the bottom of my sticks viv but didn't think anything of it as perhaps thought it had just fallen off the bramble as it kind of looked like a dehydrated berry of some sort but then today I noticed a small, white (milky-ish), round object hanging from the rear of my male stick insect. Managed to knock it off with some tweezers and collected it. I have attached pictures of both objects, does anyone know what they are or what it means for my stick insect???
    Thanks!

IMG_20190114_100813.jpg IMG_20190114_100843.jpg IMG_20190114_100855.jpg

2. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Hmmm, never seen anything like that before. I'm wondering if it could be something to do with spermatozoa. Do you have any females?

3. LH15aak

LH15aak PetForums Newbie

Yes there is one fully matured female in the tank along with another mature male and a young female and young male!

4. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Just for clarification (because there are many spiny/spiky/thorny sounding sticks!), are you referring to Eurycantha calcarata?

5. LH15aak

LH15aak PetForums Newbie

They are Extatosoma tiaratum (giant prickly stick insects)

6. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

Ah, you said giant spiny in the title, which is why I wanted to make sure! My tiaratums are still only very small and i've never seen anything like whats in your photos, even from my other adult species. Interesting what they could be though.

7. LH15aak

LH15aak PetForums Newbie

Ah sorry that's my mistake! He seems fine otherwise so I think I'll just keep an eye on him and the others

8. Acrophylla

Acrophylla PetForums Member

The white thing is called a spermatophore. There's an illustration of it in the book called "Keeping Stick Insects" by Dorothy Floyd and an explanation about it. In summary, the spermatophore is a bag of sperm that the male produces. It briefly hangs outside the end of his body before he transfers it to the tip of female for fertilisation. So next time you see him with one, leave it alone, and he will transfer it to the female. I recommend that book, you can buy it on ebay.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice