Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What are these denuded spots on head?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Flycaster, Feb 12, 2021.

1. Flycaster

Flycaster PetForums Junior

Luna is a 6 yo, indoor (also screened patio,) medium haired, Russian Blue mix. She is in very good health, not having ever experienced any issues. Over the years, on an occasional random basis, she gets these apparently denuded spots appearing on her head and ears (but not her body.) As far as I can tell, I have never seen her scratch herself in any manner that would cause these spots...the skin shows no signs of trauma, nor does she have bugs. She pays no attention to the spots when they occur, and they always go away without any ensuing problems. Any idea what is going on? There is a pic of the spots. Thanks.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

#1 Flycaster, Feb 12, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
  2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Those bald spots are unusual in that there are a number of them close to each other. I have seen Ringworm look similar, but as your girl is an indoor only cat it is fairly unlikely that she would have caught ringworm (a very contagious fungal infection). Unless she is in contact with a cat who does go outdoors. Ringworm is something that can clear up and then come back.

What has your vet said about the cause?

Other than that, I wonder if it is some kind of allergy. Though if so, I wouldn't expect it to go away of its own accord...And I would have expected you to notice her scratching for it to cause that much hair loss.

3. Flycaster

Flycaster PetForums Junior

Thanks for your reply. Luna has never been near or with another cat. Personally, I don't think it is ringworm. I have never taken her to a vet for this. As these spots have been coming and going (within a week, or less, gone) for all these years without her showing any signs of illness or discomfort, I'm going to leave things as they are...unless I find out the spots are something serious.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice