Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what are the signs a phantom pregnancy

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by kendal, Jun 25, 2010.

1. kendal

kendal PetForums Senior

my brothers dog is a jack x(was sold as a jack but we can tell she is a cross) we think she has had pups before as he nipples are large and look similer to other dogs i know who have been bred from. they were told she was 2 but we think she is older, 8 or 10 weeks, she went into season the week after they got her. lovely we dog a little nervy but has come out of her shell lots since they got her.

anyway today my brother called my mum panicking because she had been whining all day, he had taken her out thinking she needed the toilet but nothing, then she shreded her bed (very unlike her she never chews anything or scratches anything) has pulled all the stuffing out of it and riped it to bits.
    my brother says resently her tummy has been feeling full when she hasnt eaten anything, and my mum thinks her nipples are swolen but not produseing milk.

she is drinking fine and eating well, but she is acting out of charicter. could this be a sign of a phantom pregnancy. none of my girls have had a season so i have no exspirience of a season or a phantom. i just want to reasure them. i think they are planning on leaving her a day and iff she is still acting strange then taking her to the vets. my brothers girlsfrind says she seems a wee bit more sookie.

2. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Hi i had 2 German sheperds the bitch had phantom (she was spayed ) she started nesting taking my oh socks kids teddies u name it she gathered them all into her bed she got lots bigger nipples did too was begining to think she wasnt spayed ( was rescue ) she had really upsetting time for few weeks but got her through it :)

3. kendal

kendal PetForums Senior

they havent said anything about her taking sock or anything like that to bed, but when we braught her over hear while my brother went to work, she started diging in the cats bed, again something she doesnt normaly do. i think its next month they were planning her to get her spayed next month.

4. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

Are they sure nothing has got to her? The whining for a wee and bed scratching are signs of labour. Very rare for a phantom to have a false labour as puppies stimulate the production of the hormone oxytocing which triggers labour.

Its not unheard of for a "phantom labour" but incredibly incredibly rare.

ETA ignore this lol. I must learn to read posts thoroughly. Yes, it sounds like a phantom. Reduce food and increase exercise will help her to get over it quickly.

However, did she ever meet a male even for 30seconds during her season?

#4 Tanya1989, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  5. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

How long ago did she have her season? Is it possible she was mated?

6. kendal

kendal PetForums Senior

she wasn't even around my girls during her season, we felt really bad as she had just moved home then went strait into a season. they live in a flat so she wasn't even in a garden alone.

i had a good feel at her tummy and feel nothing. i was feeling for anything as Inca once got a dummy teat stuck in her intestine, so i wanted to check their wasn't anything in her tummy.

thanks Tanya i will let them know.

7. kendal

kendal PetForums Senior

she started bleeding the week after they got her(it must have been mid to late april). she was around no male dogs from the point they got her, i know she was in a large group of dogs in the home they got her from but dont know how many were males, nutered or otherwise.

even her mums dog is only a 4 month old bitch puppy.

8. luvmydogs

luvmydogs PetForums VIP

Bless her it must be a phantom. Lots of exercise will help.

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

It sounds typical of a false pregnancy. If she gets very full of milk or very distressed the vets will give you something to help her. When I worked for a vet years ago they used to give hormone tablets to all bitches with false pregnancies but they seem to have stopped doing that now, not sure why. If she is being spayed once the false pregnancy clears up then at least she only has to suffer through it once. It shouldnt last too long.

10. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

poor thing...mavis had two phantoms after her only two seasons..it was very stressfull for her..she would try and dig under the house ..the second one we got tablets from the vet..but they made her faint..as they can cause a drop in blood pressure...after that we got her spade..hope she is back to herself soon x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice