UK Pet Forums Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts
I agree that some (alot) of home educators need to actually make kids over the age of 6 stop playing all the time and work more! :) I had been in school so I work and I have noticed that kids who have been in school tend to work more rather than parents who never put them in a school x

I don't think its fair to home school kids, School teaches you life skills that you just cannot get at home. I would have concerns about taking a child out of school due to bullying because bullies exist everywhere.What happens when the home schooled kid grows up, gets a job in a office and finds themselves sat next to the office bully?? Mum can't come to the rescue then. The answer is to equip your child with the skills to deal with the bully or they could end up being dominated all their lives.

I don't think its fair to home school kids, School teaches you life skills that you just cannot get at home. I would have concerns about taking a child out of school due to bullying because bullies exist everywhere.What happens when the home schooled kid grows up, gets a job in a office and finds themselves sat next to the office bully?? Mum can't come to the rescue then. The answer is to equip your child with the skills to deal with the bully or they could end up being dominated all their lives.
Well I hope if said home educated kid who is sat next to the office bully is getting money repeatedly stolen from them and getting bruises all over their body from said 'bully' then the office manager would dam well do something about it.

If a man walked up to you and called you racist names etc or even hit you, you could call the police- real life! in real life people get assault charges in school they get put in isolation....

Well I hope if said home educated kid who is sat next to the office bully is getting money repeatedly stolen from them and getting bruises all over their body from said 'bully' then the office manager would dam well do something about it.

If a man walked up to you and called you racist names etc or even hit you, you could call the police- real life! in real life people get assault charges in school they get put in isolation....
Work bullies are not the same as school bullies in terms of physical violence - it is however something that occurs in many workplaces, its more psychological bullying.

Effectiveness of reporting to superiors is complicated. Especially if its superiors doing the bullying. (it should not be tolerated, but the individual needs to be equipped to deal with it appropriately and through the correct channels)

I dont have kids so cant really comment on home schooling - I know a girl who was homeschooled during middle school, and she struggled more than most at secondry school (wrt other students and social skills), but is now a successful PhD student & scholar etc So cant say it effected her long term

my eldest son struggled all the way through school. he has severe dyslexia, aspergers, dyspraxia etc. and simply could not cope with people around him. he spent the majority of his time in his bedroom hiding away from life. from the age of 4 when he started school, i spent forever fighting to get help for him but no-one listened. finally at the age of 11 when he had just started high school everything fell completely apart. he used smash his bedroom and his possessions up in frustration and fear of going to school. he would lie in my arms sobbing, telling me how he wanted to die - believe me that cuts very deep when you hear your child say that. the attendance officer used to be at my door every single day trying to drag him to school - he never managed to get past me though. my son needed help desperately but no-one would give him that help. i home schooled him for 12 months but i refused to de-register him from school as i knew that by doing so he would never be able to go back. sitting at home did not give him the social skills that he desperately needed to get by in life. finally they found a placement in an inclusion school where there were only ever 4 pupils in a classroom. there was probably 25 kids in the whole of the school. he gradually spent longer and longer within the school until he reached the point where he could complete a whole day. that environment gave him valuable experience, and although he still struggles somewhat with being around people, i believe if i had home schooled him for the rest of his school days he would never have been able to do what he is doing now. he was bullied badly when he was younger and struggled just by being in school, but i do think that you need to be around groups of people in order to function better as an adult. this is just my opinion and my experience of it all, others may disagree

What I am about to say wouldn't be true for everyone who has been bullied at school, but for me, if you had been my mum and had forced me to stay at school, that would have been the worst thing you could have done. I was being bullied by both other children AND teachers. The stress was so bad for me that I became both physically and mentally ill. The bullying caused me to become schoolphobic and I had to be home schooled.
I have had bullying since leaving school, I seem to be an easy target, but I can deal with it a bit better now, I still dread seeing the bullies but it's not so bad now. Home schooling wouldn't be the right thing for all children being bullied, but it was for me, and it is right for some.

Education is the only time of you life where you are with a large group of people that only have age in common. It may not equip you very well for adult life. Far better to bring up a person to know they are loved and cared for, and if that means removing them from the reach of bullies, and that is within your gift, then go for it. Especially if the school won't help, or can not see a problem.

Perhaps the well-home-schooled child's confidence in itself will protect it from a bully in the workplace anyway, and the bully will turn to someone else.

Actuall ..why not put kid in Spanish school?
kids pick the language easily and Spanish schools are not toodemanding..not even the private ones...(many of my friends who live in Spain put kids in schools there)..
being picked on happen...(especially now being britsh might be a no-no..)..but I suppose mosltly around here..

I rather my kids went to Spanish school than being home educated even though I have qualifications...
I thought about it before..but they have to start making their way into the big world away from me...

In Gibraltar some people from certain sects prefer to home educated children..but when you go past primary school not so easy!

if your child has special needs and you see that it is not addressed correctly...then you must consider your options carefully...maybe some else there is good school?
for example some people bring kids to Gibraltar, we have special units and good special school...

some people just travel with kids: circus, fair..so they must go this route..usually they pull together making a mini-school ...:) at least kids mix with others

Personally I think there should be much tighter controls and constant checks - my sisters six children were supposedly "home schooled" in reality they were prevented from going to school so that the abuse and violence by their father would not become known.

So Spirited may have been making a light hearted comment but it can actually be true :nonod:

Personally I think there should be much tighter controls and constant checks - my sisters six children were supposedly "home schooled" in reality they were prevented from going to school so that the abuse and violence by their father would not become known.

So Spirited may have been making a light hearted comment but it can actually be true :nonod:
The LA do a yearly check but you do not 'have' to let them in legally, we do- we have nothing to hide but others refuse, most situations are clean but some are dodgy. It might change soon though- for the better imo as it would mean financial help for home educators- read the Badman Review - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia badman report into home education.

Most home ed parents hate this report but for more frequent visits and some guidelines being an absolute nessesary it would mean home educators would be allowed some financial help and access to resources etc my mum liked the report.

obviously what happened in your sisters case is awful but think how many kids who go to school are being abused and the teachers don't even notice or worse kids abused buy teachers , nursery nurses people who are supposedly there to keep them safe :(

it would be sad if it got to the point where parents were not even trusted with there own children , compulsory check for parents is a slippery slope in my opinion .
we shall be declining any visits offered . i have heard to many horror story's about social services and local authorities . its to much of a risk for me to let in a stranger who may not agree with home education and may not like my style of parenting who has the power to make our lives miserable , i am a good parent and i don't feel i should have to prove it :nonod:

think how many kids who go to school are being abused and the teachers don't even notice or worse kids abused buy teachers , nursery nurses people who are supposedly there to keep them safe
I think that's about as daft as thinking that a lot of parents abuse their children. It happens but it's hardly common. Why do you think that you as a parent should be exempt from checks when the vast majority of children who are abused are abused BY their parents or other family members? More common than abuse by teachers etc. IF it happens deal with it. Children can change school etc. Deal with it IF it happens and not in anticipation.

I can say "hand on heart" that the only person that ever abused my sons was their father and that through his mental illness. They were well supported by a fantastic group of teachers at their schools. That may well be more common than you think. It never gets in the news. Only bad schools and teachers hit the news.

How will you teach those subjects that you do not know and/or dislike? Will you be offering them to your children in a way that piques their interest?

My Older Monster never took any interest in history despite it being one of my loves. Attempts by me to engage him were met by eye-rolls. One of his secondary school teachers introduced him to history in a way that captivated him. My straight maths/science son did history - by choice - throughout secondary school and we have many a happy and lively debate, about "the causes of the Korean War" and such things.

We simply CANNOT be everything to our children. We need to let other people help to raise them, too.

How will you teach those subjects that you do not know and/or dislike?
Can't you can get the same teacher versions of text books that teachers get?

Loved the rest of your post btw. :)

Well tbh I gotta confess I dont know anything about it. Never met anyone that did it so to me it was just fodder to toss out since I never had any experience with why somebody would want to do it.

If it struck chords with someone Im sorry. Wasnt my intention. Didnt think about kids that were being abused at home as reasons to keep them hidden away. Sometimes my sense of humor backfires but I dont never mean it in a way to hurt anyone. :(

Well tbh I gotta confess I dont know anything about it. Never met anyone that did it so to me it was just fodder to toss out since I never had any experience with why somebody would want to do it.

If it struck chords with someone Im sorry. Wasnt my intention. Didnt think about kids that were being abused at home as reasons to keep them hidden away. Sometimes my sense of humor backfires but I dont never mean it in a way to hurt anyone. :(
No hurt or offence taken by me at all :) I was actually giving contra comment to those who were offended by what you said!

What I find baffling is that a) home schoolers do not have to allow any inspection to take place if they don't want to - that is immediate alarm bells for me and b) they do not even have to teach the national curriculum. I think the latter is even more scarey, choices are being made that will affect the childs life and career prospects

No hurt or offence taken by me at all :) I was actually giving contra comment to those who were offended by what you said!

What I find baffling is that a) home schoolers do not have to allow any inspection to take place if they don't want to - that is immediate alarm bells for me and b) they do not even have to teach the national curriculum. I think the latter is even more scarey, choices are being made that will affect the childs life and career prospects
Maybe the rules have changed since my time, but when I was home schooled we were told we had to have the inspection, no questions asked and my parents would have been in massive trouble if they had refused the inspection. In my opinion I think that is the way it should be, to prevent any trouble that might happen from children being abused at home.
I understand someone else saying that they are a good parent and don't need to prove it and they are scared of SS and all that, but the inspection doesn't last long, unless they are more thorougher these days, and if you have nothing to hide, then there is nothing to worry about. Also agreeing to the inspection gives you an automatic tick in their book, if you argue/refuse then that might make them more wary, more watchful for something wrong.

When the inspector came to my home she just looked at my diary that I kept that was filled in by myself, my tutors and my parents for everything I learnt that day. She was just making sure that I was getting a decent education and we were not sticking to one or two things that I wanted to do, that was her main job when she came, (as far as I was aware.)

I think it is wrong to be able to have free choice to decide what children learn and don't learn, I think they need the basics of all the important subjects (english, maths, sciences, one language, ICT etc), then you as the parent can decide how far into these main subjects they go, (i.e. just know the basics in maths to cope in everyday life, or do you expand to go into really complicated stuff) also you can decide what they learn for the other things - music, art, history, etc etc.

Can't you can get the same teacher versions of text books that teachers get?
(Thanks for your kind comment.)

You certainly can through distance education and you don't have to be remote, either but I'm not sure that we're talking about homeschooling using a standard curriculum and texts. I'd CERTAINLY make a distinction between distance ed. and most homeschooling.

Mc Kenzie said it better than I could

If only teaching was as easy as having the text book!

then you as the parent can decide how far into these main subjects they go, (i.e. just know the basics in maths to cope in everyday life, or do you expand to go into really complicated stuff)
I actually think that the children should be encouraged to learn as much as they can in these subjects, by their parents. How far they actually go will be determined by their interests and aptitudes not my willingness or otherwise to go into complicated stuff.

I don't feel parents have ANY right to impede their children's education either by their ignorance or by their opinion of how far a child should go.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.