Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What are the best treats??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by NathanbUK, Aug 3, 2009.

1. NathanbUK

NathanbUK PetForums Junior

Hi!!! So I got my little chihuahua just a day ago and we got some treats that claimed to be for puppies as young as 4 weeks and some 6 (she's roughly 10). The problem is neither of the treats seem to interest her which is a pain trying to train her. Even when the treats are broke up and moistened and she takes them it takes her a while to eat them. Does anyone know any treats that are great for puppies and would be easily eaten as an aid in training. Thankyou.

2. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

I make liver cake for Pippa which she loves but I also use hot dog sausages occasionally - cut into small pieces - plus carrots, ham and cheese.

Good luck with the training :D

3. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

Some people use pepperoni very tiny peices as its very smeely and gets there interest. Dont go mad though as not sure on salt content. Some people use plain chicken, raw carrot, mine liked small pieces of liver cake . Ask on here im sure theres a recipe and it freezes well to.

4. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

I remember when i bought my first bichon, she was fed chicken treats from Harrods , no less lol. Well, i didnt have a convienient harrods near me ( can you imagine a Harrods stop and shop lol) so small pieces of cut up chicken are good unfortunatly i find any strong smelling food comes out in my dogs skin which isnt nice at all so i tend to avoid these.

5. hobo99

hobo99 PetForums VIP

Hi, hot dog sausages are very good ,:) cut into very thin slices, or any sliced spam type meats( as you can do smaller bits) and if it has garlic in it even better as most dogs love it.:smilewinkgrin:

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I found smoked ham to be very good, and you can cut it up really small :)

x

7. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

jUST MAY GET BAD WIND.....HAVE TO HOLD YOUR NOSE.

8. Savahl

Savahl Guest

I make tuna cake and sardine cake for busters high value treat, buster has loved the stuff since he was a pup and it stinks so really gets his attention lol.

The rest of the time i use cut up hot dog sausage!

9. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Like the others i have used small bits of hotdog and pepperoni sausage. Cheese and chicken. Bella doesnt really like the puppy treats either!

Also Bella is on dry food so i sometimes just use a bit of that!
    :)

10. Emraa

Emraa PetForums Senior

Bella has sausage chopped up small - two sausages will last her a week and she goes mad for it!

11. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

cheese, ham, chicken, liver (not too much for a puppy) .... anything that has a strong smell ...

but because dogs are different u will have to try out different treats to see what ur puppy likes :)

12. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

With my german shorthaired pointer, we used cheese, frankfurters chopped up really small, and also we did liver for him. It did stink out the house for the most of 5 hours though...:p

13. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

I found with mu girls garlic sausage worked brilliant but the boys were happy with anything!! ( still are :D)

14. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Mine love cheese but I don't give them a lot of it :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice