Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What are cockapoos like?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Honey Bunny Boo, Feb 15, 2021.

1. Honey Bunny Boo

Honey Bunny Boo PetForums Newbie

Hi,

just looking for opinions on cockapoos please...

I have the most amazing American spaniel and I’m hoping to breed her.

I have done some research and was planning on breeding her with a red toy poodle but I don’t know any cockapoo puppies / dogs so just wanted to find out how people who have got one finds them.

It won’t be until next year FYI.

Thank you

2. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

They are cross breeds so they can turn out like either parents, a mix of the two or something else entirely. I take it you mean an American cocker. If she is so amazing I take it you have shown her successfully, so why not put her to an american cocker instead of producing crossbreed puppies.

3. Honey Bunny Boo

I don’t need to show her to know she’s amazing. I think she’s amazing because of her temperament more than anything, she’s gentle, obedient and loving. Her nature and friendliness with other dogs and people is what I love about her. Of course I think she’s gorgeous too. I’m not interested in the showing side.

I was thinking about a cockapoo purely down to ease. It’s hard to find an American stud and the ones I do know live a long way away. I don’t know any cockapoos personally.

This is why I’m asking the question so I can make the best decision.

4. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Everyone thinks their dog is amazing ;)
    Showing (and sports, working etc) is more about an impartial third party (who knows what they are talking about) agreeing that your dog is amazing, and your dog proving itself in it's amazing amazingness and abilities.

Don't forget that health is a huge part of breeding too. Health issues from ranging from inconvenient to debilitating are rampant in many breeds, and it's not enough to just have a once over at the vet to say the dogs are ok. Genetic screenings for specific known traits as well as x-rays to check the more physical side of things should really be done, so you have the best potential of producing the healthiest, happiest animals you can. Producing the best you can also shouldn't really come down to convenience of location; a male that compliments your girl well should be sought out, rather than just picking any nice dog who can do the job.
    That's assuming everything goes well, she's a perfect candidate for breeding and you dont lose her or the puppies in the process.

Since it's not to further or improve your breed in any way, is there a particular reason you're wanting to breed her? :)

Sairy, LinznMilly, Lurcherlad and 5 others like this.
  5. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Most of the cockapoos I know are hyper & over excitable, & many owners don't provide adequate coat maintenance or mental stimulation; there are also a lot more turning up in rescue nowadays with resource guarding issues.

I only know of one that's actually a nice dog.

You may feel your dog is amazing, rest assured you are not unique in that opinion, we all love our dogs & feel they are 'the best', but that doesn't mean we should breed from them.

You will also have to health test your bitch, & ensure the stud is also fully health tested:

https://www.dogbreedhealth.com/american-cocker-spaniel/

Burrowzig, Sairy, LinznMilly and 4 others like this.
  6. pinklizzy

pinklizzy PetForums Senior

The fact that your dog is a lovely dog isn't, in my opinion, a good enough reason to breed from her, especially when you're considering a cross breed litter. Are you prepared to put her health at risk in order to do so? Do you have the money in reserve should she require a c-section? Would you be in the position to take back any of the litter that needed to be rehomed at any point?

Burrowzig, Sairy, LinznMilly and 3 others like this.
  7. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Well, conscientious breeding is not based upon ease. The idea is that you do the research and take your bitch to the best dog for her, in order to produce pups of quality and good temperament.

The best decision would be to seek advice from whoever bred your bitch as to whether she's good enough to be bred from and as to which dog you should use.

Mating her to a Poodle doesn't make sense at all.

8. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

It's also worth noting that American cockers are not typically used all too much in cockapoo breeding (in my experience in any case!).
    There's already going to be a fair whack of difference between English show cocker x poodles and working cocker x poodles, and a lot of the owners of the produced puppies dont even know what type their dog came from, so you could absolutely get a huge range of answers on "what are they like", since you've essentially got three different breeds on just the spaniel side of things to contend with!

9. Honey Bunny Boo

I know all about the showing world. Her mum and dad have been in the show ring, been to crufts etc. We were intending to take her to agility classes because she enjoys that but haven’t been able to due to lockdown.

I know about all the tests they need. I have looked after two birthing Americans and the puppies in the past. It’s a breed I know well. A cockapoo was just an idea. I’m trying to get as much info as possible and it’s looking like the best thing would be for her to stick to her own breed.

Yes, everyone does think they’re puppy / dog is amazing..... same as children. Everyone thinks their ducks are swans

10. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Why not contact your dog's breeder, if they were showing then presumably they will know plenty of other ACS owners & breeders.

Burrowzig, Sairy, Calvine and 5 others like this.
  11. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

I assume then that your bitch is Kennel Club Registered.

I would look for a K. C. Registered, appropriately tested stud, then you will be able to register your pups.

12. Honey Bunny Boo

Thanks for all your replies by the way!

Yes, it’s my family who own the dogs so I can ask them for the details easily and from these responses that seems like the only responsible decision.

13. Honey Bunny Boo

Yes she’s registered with the kennel club.

14. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Then, why use her to produce crossbred pups?

Lurcherlad, O2.0 and Jason25 like this.
  15. Honey Bunny Boo

Just an idea! I feel like I keep repeating myself. I thought if you had a kennel club registered healthy poodle and a kennel club healthy American then would they make a nice little dog..... answer seems to be not necessarily. That was the whole point for asking.

16. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

It's not that they wouldnt necessarily make nice dogs.
    But just... why?
    What's the point? There are already thousands of random ones out there, thousands more being bred just because.
    What's the long term goal for you? If not for showing, sports or bettering anything, just for the experience of it? To keep one for something? Bit of extra money? Because they are popular?

LinznMilly, Lurcherlad, O2.0 and 3 others like this.
  17. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

If your Cocker is really amazing, in temperament and structure, and is tested genetically sound, then if you must breed then why not do the ACS a favour and strive to breed the very best pure bred puppies that you can?

Anybody can breed a ‘Cockerpoo’. As is proven by the rubbish breeders currently churning them out.

Burrowzig, Sairy, LinznMilly and 6 others like this.
  18. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Every other dog owner is trying to produce poodle crosses, honestly very few are nice dogs that I'd actually want to have as a pet - and I've med LOADS. It's just a money making venture as there is nothing that a cockerpoo has that I couldn't find in either parent breed if I looked for a breeder breeding the temperament and looks I wanted. Poodles are super dogs, smart, funny, trainable, and don't shed. Why would I want to mix that with a cocker? And if you like the happy-go-lucky, friendly, dizzy cocker then why mix that with a poodle?
    American cockers are fairly rare in the UK so I'd be breeding a nice well bred AC not another bloomin' cockerpoo!!!

Also worth noting that breeding isn't seen as essential travel so you'd have to wait until lockdown is lifted to travel to a stud, and that would have to coincide with your bitches cycle.

Burrowzig, Sairy, LinznMilly and 6 others like this.
  19. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

This is not what we're trying to tell you.

You could put any two crossbreeds, even mongrels, together and they would have every chance of producing 'nice little dogs', but sadly, many 'nice little dogs' are now in Shelters and Pounds, desperately seeking homes, which many of them will never get.

The point we're trying to make is, if you're going to breed, do it responsibly. Do not mate your bitch to a dog of another breed. Seek advice and guidance from her breeder and produce sound, quality pups.

Breeding should NEVER be something you just play at.

20. Honey Bunny Boo

Yes, that’s all true. I’m wondering what I was thinking even considering it now tbh!

It won’t be until next year so hopefully lockdown will be over with by then. I’m just reading as much as I can and getting opinions / as much info as possible.

Thanks!

Burrowzig, Sarah H, Calvine and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice