UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simba seems to be treating his food like poop. Whenever he has finished eating he scrapes the floor as if he is trying to cover it. He also does this with his water. What is he trying to tell us? :confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. It was driving me mad. I kept going over to see what an earth he was trying to scrape. :)

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
My cats only do this to food they dont like!
Yes, same here!:D There is a theory that in the wild cats would bury food that had gone "off" or was unpalatable in some way, so predators, or even other cats, would not smell it on the wind and be attracted to the cat's territory.

Occasionally one of my cats will "bury" an empty dish after he has scoffed all the food! :D Perhaps this is what the OP's cat is doing, to his empty dishes.:)

A cat "burying" his water bowl is a new one on me though:confused:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, same here!:D There is a theory that in the wild cats would bury food that had gone "off" or was unpalatable in some way, so predators, or even other cats, would not smell it on the wind and be attracted to the cat's territory.

Occasionally one of my cats will "bury" an empty dish after he has scoffed all the food! :D Perhaps this is what the OP's cat is doing, to his empty dishes.:)

A cat "burying" his water bowl is a new one on me though:confused:
Yes he always does it after he has finished the food. So he likes it. I had a cat once who used to dig in it's water bowl. And there's me thinking cats didn't like to play with water lol

·
Registered
632 Posts
I have to feed my girl Rosie up on the table as she likes to take her time over her food and the other two gobblers eat theirs super fast then bully her away..

She's always scraped to bury her food and obviously the other two cats behaviour will drive this also. The only thing you have to watch out for is leaving things near their food that you don't want to end up in their food!

I'm always leaving tea towels or my scarves etc on the table. Only to come back and find that Rosie has scraped it over and into her food!

·
Registered
551 Posts
My cat Zu does this, she's always "burying" things. Including her water bowl and empty food bowls. Erebus does it too with his water bowl but not his food bowl.
I did catch Zu trying to burying a patch of Erebus's sick the other day. She obviously didn't like the smell. Shame you can't bury things with laminate flooring.

(Erebus was sick because he drank too much too quickly, he's not poorly fortunately in case anyone was worried)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I wish #1 cat, Bola, would do it, he might even manage to scrape all the food he's *nosed* onto the floor back onto his plate :rolleyes: :lol:

Ian

·
Registered
242 Posts
When I give g man a treat of ham or chicken he will throw about the kitchen and pounce on it.... Then eat it! :eek:ut: loopy puss

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ha. I'm so glad my kitty isn't the only one. I honestly thought he thought his food was poop. lol :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.