Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Dog Services' started by purrfectpetz, Jun 8, 2010.

1. purrfectpetz

purrfectpetz PetForums Newbie

Hi, just a quick question; if you were considering booking your dog in to stay with a home boarder for 7+ days, how much would you expect to pay?

Im just asking as I run a home boarding-doggy daycare service and have had 5 enquiries this week, yet when I reply with prices I hear nothing back!

Maybe Im charging too much...?

2. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I recently boarded Toby & for 7 days it costs me £154. It may seem expensive to some people initially but when you break it down & take in to consideration that he had compnay & attention for (almost) 24hrs a day then it was definitley well worth the price.
    Not sure what prices are like in Stafford but I'm in Herts & your prices are cheap considering what I've been quoted. Where I live, a 60min walk is usually around £10 with £4 for an extra dog

#2 Cleo38, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  3. purrfectpetz

Thanks, I recently reduced my prices due to getting lots of enquiries but no bookings :(

I even just had a lady phone about getting her 4 guinea pigs looked after and I quoted her £2.50 a day yet still no booking :confused:

sigh...

any advertising tips people, as Ive advertised online as much as possible and got some laminated, brightly coloured flyers printed up (on thin cardboard type stuff, not paper) and nothings worked too well.

4. puppymadness

puppymadness PetForums Senior

hi i dont think ur prices r too bad in fact wish id seen u ages ago as im in the w. midlands we are leaving bella at a 'host family' in the summer for £25 a day will cost us about £450. xx

5. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

How are you advertising? It's just that if I type into Google 'dog walking' or 'pet sitting' in Stafford I can't see your web site - am not sure how you go about rectifying this though!
    Are you tgetting anyone coming round to visit you at all? When I boarded Toby we arranged a visit followed by a 24hr stay over just to make sure he was ok with being there & that he got on with dog.
    Maybe you could do a bit of market research & stop & ask people what they think of your flyers & your prices.

6. London Dogwalker

London Dogwalker PetForums Senior

Advertise on yell.com, get your business on google maps if it isn't already, get someone to look at your website so that your site shows on page 1 of google when you type in 'pet boarding staffs' or similar, get your website on all of the free listing pages like qtype, free index etc.

Do you already advertise in vets and pet shops? :)

7. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

great tips :thumbup::thumbup:

Think like your clients - where would you look if you wanted to board your pets? Does your website show your home/business in the best light to make people feel they are getting a good quality service for the price etc.

To get well known and in quieter times could you offer any special promotions which could be put into local vets, groomers and pet shops etc? People like to feel like they are getting a good deal even if it isnt that much off!

have a serach online to see what your competitors are charging and offering - how does yours compare?

oh and be careful not to iunderprice, as then people think 'whats the catch?' and 'why is it so cheap'? etc

Good luck! :)

PS: dont forget dog training clubs - sometimes you can advertise in their local hall/meeting place, or even discuss with some local trainers about cross-promotion so their clients see your advert on their site and you could have a link to theirs on yours etc...

#7 katiefranke, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  8. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

Sorry just had a look at your site and a couple of other thoughts:

Back Garden piccie - please dont be offended as I hope my thoughts will be helpful - but the garden piccie doesnt really make it look very neat/tidy/professional? It kind of looks like there are weeds and something leaning against the fence and the fence to the back right might not be that secure? Obviously this is all just from a quick glance at a picture, but if you are going to have it on your home page, I would personally want to make sure it is a real selling point.

Pricing for boarding - just a thought, but the places I have looked at only ask for a 10% booking fee (I think yours was 20%?) and I was suprised that you ask for the full payment (less the deposit that was payable on booking) when clients drop off their dog, as the places I have looked at (and all the catteries I have used) are payable when you pick the dog/cat up.

I dont know if the above have any bearing, but might be worth considering.

Hope that is useful!

9. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

Hello,

Not a critisism but you have a couple of spelling mistakes on your website:

e.g. "We will look after your oet in our own home and treat them like royalty until your return - with walkies, fun treats and lots of play time."

I think you mean Pet instead of Oet :)

Also on your title, the picture of the cat is covering the word Services.

Just little things, but otherwise I think it looks good and your prices are good. I wish I lived nearer :thumbup:

10. purrfectpetz

Thanks for all the advice everyone - Ive updated the site and changed the desgn; hopefully it looks a bit sleeker?

I have also registered with google maps and adwords, and a few of the websites that have been mentioned on this thread by previous posters.

I think I may have one booking from yesterday...so we are getting there! :thumbup:

11. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Looks much better :thumbup: Hope it all goes well & you get lots of bookings!

12. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

I like the site but there are some things i would like to see

1 - pictures (although i guess you will be redoing those), and pics of you out walking etc
    I like to see pics of the things my dogs would be doing while at yours, so if you take them for a romp in the woods, then show the pics!

2 - testimonials.... really really like to read testimonials or links to review sites where people have rated your service.

3 - prices i think are reasonable, but i would also put a rate for a daily walk (payable monthly? 5 walks a week, and possibly a discount if they book 2 walks a day.

4 - you say on your site you will take the dog for a 50-60min walk, but people are paying for a full 60min walk... you need to rectify this. I would also clarify the meal thing... is that your food provided or the owners?

5 - doggy daycare... can you offer puppy creche? very very handy for someone with a new pup who works... again is there a discount if they come to you daily for a few weeks?

6 - you mention nothing about insurance... what if the dog takes poorly... are you covered?

7 - can you cater for all dietry requirements (so long as the owner provides food), e.g. raw or prescription diet?

8 - what if the dog is on regular medication, can you take care of that too?

sorry for all the little things, i'm not trying to be difficult, just that these are what i would be looking for :)

13. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

I charged £10 per day day care and £12 per 24 hours boarding and was very successful xxx

14. www.doglost.co.uk

www.doglost.co.uk PetForums Newbie

I cannot see the website -just a parking page

15. TORY

TORY PetForums Member

OMG...I'm in the West Midlands and I would not of charged that much...:eek6:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice