What age to retire?

Discussion in 'Dog Agility and Flyball' started by Ponymad21, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Ponymad21

Ponymad21 PetForums Junior

He is 8 years old now, we only do agility as a bit of fun, mainly jumps as it is what we both enjoy most, when does he need to retire? He is in good physical and mental health at the moment

2. Oenoke

Oenoke PetForums VIP

It really depends on the dog, what breed is he? My first agility dog was 9 years old, he just wasn't enjoying it anymore, my next was just nearly 8 years old, she had eyesight problems and was crashing jumps , so I retired her for her own safety. Skye is 9.75 years old now and she isn't as fast as she was, but she still loves it and is jumping fine, so I will keep competing her while she is still happy. I have known quite a few dogs that haven't retired until they are 12 years old.

3. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

My collies are both 9 and I 'retired' them earlier this year even though we only did it for fun too. My bitch was refusing jumps and several physiotherapist and canine massage visits later has revealed she has pain in her neck that is transferring to her back, so no more agility for her. My other collie was also starting to become lame after an agility lesson so I stopped it for him too.

4. Ponymad21

He is a jack russell cross min pin, he adores jumping, just cant be bothered with tunnels, never has been, he still jumps fine and we were even complemented on his jumping and speed doing hurdles at all about dogs show yesterday and he did the agility course better than some of the younger dogs

5. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

A friend of mine is still working her collie/JRT cross at top level. The dog is 10 years old and is an agility champion.

It very much depends on the dog but if they are fit and healthy and still enjoy working then, providing you are sensible, I can see no reason not to continue.

6. speug

speug PetForums VIP

We have a 13 yr old GSP who trains with us. She's never competed as her owner just does it for fun but she's still enjoying her lessons. She moved down to jumping medium a couple of years ago and if she shows any signs that it's too much she can try small but at the moment she still likes having a go so no plans to stop

7. Ponymad21

We only do it for fun as well, he has injured his left hind but the week I noticed he was lame we hadn't done any agility for a few weeks before that as he had been going to work with my dad a lot, so he is obviously on rest, he doesn't limp all the time just sometimes

8. Jillity

Jillity PetForums Newbie

My ten year old collie still loves agility and competes regularly. She has recently had a one of her regular check ups from the vet and I was told keep working her as long as she's able and enjoying herself and to choose the lower height option when it's available. Another vet advised me never to stop training an old dog but to scale the activities down to whatever the dog can manage. This includes obedience, rally and tricks as well as simple agility. She feels that it helps to ward off dementia and keeps dogs lively and active.