Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What age for last dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Jul 12, 2009.

1. rona

rona Guest

I have a friend who is 66 years old, he got a new pup last year, but if the pup lives until 15, which is quite possible, he will be 80, if he is lucky.
    At what age do you think you will stop getting dogs, or will you continue and make arrangements incase something happens to you?

2. Stellabella

Stellabella PetForums Senior

My mum took on an adult Cavalier nearly two years ago, she's 78 this year (mum not the cav :eek: ). Roxy is nearly 5, but is very much part of the extended family so if anything happens to mum Roxy has a home here.

Mum was ill last year and came to stay for a while, and it was lovely to have them both, and Roxy definitely helped mum get better, gave her confidence and a reason to go on. In fact, if I took mum out, she would cling to me so tight that I felt unsteady myself, but if she had Roxy's lead she was steadier and more focussed. When she moved back home it was reassuring to know she had company, and having a dog to look after helps make sure she looks after herself.

I know mum meets a lot of elderly folks out walking their dogs and many of them have no family, or family living away, and it is sad to think that one day the dog will lose their companion, and even if they are taken in by family there is no bond there.

The elderly lady we bought our house off 10 years ago had a heinz 57 type dog and we tought they were both really old then! She died last year, and I thought it was so poignant that her dog died before the funeral. They were absolutely inseparable - I wonder if he just kept himself going to look after her?

It's such a hard thing to say 'well thats it, I'm too old to have a dog now', I just hope that when the time comes I have the marbles left to make the right decision.

In the meantime.... I'm having my 3rd next week!! :D:D :D

3. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

66 is certainly not too old. It is a great age to get a dog. Retired and lots of time for it. The problem will be when that dog dies, if he is still active he will want another and obviously wont stay active for another pups lifespan.

4. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

Two years ago my mams German Shepherd died and she swore she was not getting another dog (she was 77). However, after a lifetime of having dogs she couldn't stand not having one, but she didn't want a puppy so she got a rescue dog. She also got married again after 26 years of being a widow. So - the moral of the story is - you are only as old as you feel (she is 17 I swear!) I only hope I am as lively at her age :D

She also has a family of animal lovers so if anything happened to them, the dog wouldn't be out on the streets.

5. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

I know that in some cases a pet wether dog cat or budgie can give an elderly and very often lonely person so much pleasure and a reason to carry on.
    I would want them to continue to have a pet for although it is so heartbreaking to lose a pet after many years of companionship and love that sadness after a while does not compare to all the joy and hapiness that animal gave when they where alive.
    A lot of elderly and even terminally ill people feel that to take on another pet would not be fair as what would happen should they have to go into a home/hospice or worse die b4 their pet.
    It is a sad fact that many people deny themselves that last pleasure simply because they are worried about what if.
    This is why I feel the Cinnamon trust doeas a fantastic job, it allows peole to remain with their pet for as long as pos providing community support so as to help with the care of the pet and the pet remains with the owner.
    Campagning for retirement homes to allow owners to reside with their pet often bringing more joy to other residents.
    Also if the worst was to happen, providing a loving home for the remainder of the pets days with a foster carer or at one of the suberb sanctuaries.
    All this is done by donations and fundraising, the owners do not have to pay a penny unless they wanted to.
    Oh and ps they are always on the look out for more volunteers and fosterers;
    The Cinnamon Trust - The National Charity for the elderly and their pets
    ;)

6. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

I dont know i guess it depends on the person my nans in her 70's and they still have a min poodle i dont think they would get another but then shes home all day by herself so i think she likes someone to talk to.

i think we will always have animals in our home as both me and oh love having them around.

7. Deerhounder

Deerhounder PetForums Senior

Dogs or other pets are especially important to the elderly.

The Animal Refuge I used to work for has a program called "Seniors for Seniors".
    Older dogs and cats are matched with older people. If the pets have ongoing medical problems as some older animals do, vet care is subsidised by Vets involved in the program.

Many people who feel they are too old to take on another puppy or kitten can still have the companionship of a pet. Older animals who might never have found a forever home because of their age are given a second chance. It's a win-win situation for everyone.

There is an old gentleman who takes his short daily walk past our house regularly. He is 97. When his was in his early eighties he lost his elderly dog and everyone advised him not to get another. Such a pity he took the advice. He is a great dog lover and gets his doggy fix from the dogs he meets on his walks but he has missed out on a canine companion for the last 15 years just because everyone said he was too old.

8. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I don't think its anything to do with age as long as you can give the puppy everything it needs. People know their own health and I could drop dead tomorrow just like a healthy 75 year old could. I think if you know you have a few health problems a slightly older dog would be more suitable, but it depends.

My cousin and her hubby took on a labrador puppy at 5 months, his 88 (yes, EIGHTY EIGHT) year old owner bought him for about £800 and then past away when he was just over 4 months old. They got him for about £150 and they are really struggling with him, but I think that is because he is just a puppy lol! I don't know why this guy got a puppy at 88 years old, he was an ex policeman and always had dogs apparently, but knew he wasn't in the best of health. I know older people can still be fit and healthy but a labrador leaping up all the time can't be managed as well I don't think...

#8 GoldenShadow, Jul 13, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice