UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Hi, I have a Bichon so not sure how different your pup's coat will be. I took Poppy for her first groom at 4 months old. My groomer loves to have them for their first groom, even if they don't need much off at that age it gets them used to being handled, the surroundings, noise of a salon, etc.

·
Registered
503 Posts
In agreement with new westie owner and dirtyGertie, the earlier the better to get your pup used to being handled.

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
Take her as soon as she is cleared by the vets to go out - she can have a brush and possibly a bath and get used to being in there.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Aw that's brill angiecooper :) continue to brush her at home twice a week with a slicker brush and take her in if you feel any knots or every 2/3 months.

·
Registered
7,716 Posts
Anything I would need to do on a regular basis I start from the word go. As soon as the puppy is settled I would use a soft brush, I haven't known a puppy really need a full groom their fur tends to be soft, but I haven't owned many breeds.

I would start as soon as possible so the puppy finds the experience fun, soothing and comfortable, with lots of praise and treats.

Whoops sorry you actually meant when to take a puppy to a groomer. I wouldn't have a clue

·
Registered
913 Posts
First groom can be as soon as all vaccinations have been done plus 1 wk. Its really just about getting pup used to sights and sounds of the groomers. This service will be free or a very small fee. The next puppy session will include more ie bath, dry and light grooming again getting them used to a life time of grooming, especially those breeds that will require lots of grooming. Around 8 - 12 mths most pups will be needing a full groom, but hopefully by this time the puppy grooming sessions will have given them an idea of how they are expected to behave when in the groomers. Just leaving them until they look really shaggy can create a less positive experience for the young pup as they'll be thrown in right at the deep end and if they were freaked by their experience it may well just set them off on the wrong foot for future grooming sessions.

·
Registered
503 Posts
First groom can be as soon as all vaccinations have been done plus 1 wk. Its really just about getting pup used to sights and sounds of the groomers. This service will be free or a very small fee. The next puppy session will include more ie bath, dry and light grooming again getting them used to a life time of grooming, especially those breeds that will require lots of grooming. Around 8 - 12 mths most pups will be needing a full groom, but hopefully by this time the puppy grooming sessions will have given them an idea of how they are expected to behave when in the groomers. Just leaving them until they look really shaggy can create a less positive experience for the young pup as they'll be thrown in right at the deep end and if they were freaked by their experience it may well just set them off on the wrong foot for future grooming sessions.
Not all groomers offer a pup's first visit for free. I don't because I spend as much time, one-one-one, with the pup as I would an adult dog, taking things slowly and making the experience as calm and as positive as possible. Every groomer is different so it's good to ask your groomer lots of questions.

8-12 months is the latest for their first full groom, and this generally depends on the breed. If you want a schnauzer or a westie hand stripping, for example, this needs to start from as young as when they've just had their injections.

You are absolutely right that if an owner leaves a pup until they're almost one to go to the groomers, it really is chucking them in at the deep end and what often happens is, they hate going to be groomed for a very long time, and the owners will then start to find it difficult to brush them at home too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.