Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

what age do dogs stop growing

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by calol, Nov 3, 2012.

1. calol

calol PetForums Junior

Hi all. Been wondering what age do dogs stop growing? I suppose it depends on breed but ive heared so many different explanations. Iam not bothered by it. Just a thought. My two are now 11 months, the are crossbreeds but are quite big i think for their age. I new this though given what the parents were. Are they still classed as pups at 11 months? Heres latest pic anyway.
    View attachment etzio and skyla 11 months.bmp

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I class my flatcoat bitch as a pup still, she's 16 months old, I'd imagine she'd start to properly mature from 18 months to anywhere up to 3 years, but usually more around the 2 year mark. Tau took 3 years before I suddenly realised she'd matured, she remained a gangly teenager for a long time, and then seemed to change overnight. Her half sister was pretty much fully mature at about 18 months, so it will be interesting to see how Tau's daughter develops. They tend to stop growing upwards, and then take a while to fill out in my experience, hope that helps. :eek:

3. calol

calol PetForums Junior

thats a great help thanks. They seem to have growth spurts up a bit and out a bit:d wish i could stop growing out a lot of late. Lol.

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Kilo seemed to get to his maximum length and height by about 18 months, but at 2 years is still 'young and gangly' looking at times. He is definitely filling out and maturing and I would expect him to be done by 3 years of age.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice