Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What age did your dog 'calm down'?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Amelia M Richards, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Amelia M Richards

So i know alot of calming down has to do with training (and I'm working on that)...but surely, presuming a dog is walked regularly and exposed to different situations regularly there must be a time said dog gets bored of certain things and 'calms down' right?
    My first dog was naturally calm..but my excitable Roxy acts like she has never seen a bird/dog/lampost/stick etc on every walk, three or more times a day..
    Did your dogs get to a certain age and just chill out a bit more?

Boxer123 likes this.
  2. rona

rona Still missing my boys

About 14 my last old boy :D

Sarah H, Twiggy, Squeeze and 2 others like this.
  3. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Sox is calmer but still gets excited when we go somewhere he likes or somewhere new. He is 5 there is definitely a marked difference between his behaviour and Lokis. Saying that he still gets silly.

Amelia M Richards likes this.
  4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

So glad you started this thread as i was thinking the very same thing only last week!

For my older dog (now 6.5) i think he was about 3.5 yrs. That's the age he became much less impulsive.

Tilly was 2 in may. She definitely hasnt calmed down! She has had a lot of training so she can settle down but she definitely still acts on impulse.

The reason i was thinking about this was last week some flies were buzzing about her head and she was snapping at them, then she jumped up at one on the window sill, even though she knows not to jump up at the window, in both situations she couldnt seem to help acting on her urges.

And i thought - some of that must be immaturity, because we have a cat that certainly has a prey drive, yet the cat (13yrs) is nowhere near as jumpy as tilly where flies are concerned - and i cant imagine tilly maintaining an interest in flies once she properly matures.
    I havent seen much evidence of her stopping to think about anything yet!

5. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

For me it's both breed and personality dependent but if I look at my most recent youngster - my young Black Lab - then it's been a gradual process. First level of steadiness comes around a year old but she still had little impulse control when the stakes were high. I tend to think the first noticible turning point came around 18 months of age (I don't really notice any difficult 'teenage stage' in mine) but by 2 years of age (she has just turned 2) there was definitely a stage when all the training came together and she moved into listening mode. She can still get excited of course - usually with visitors - and she has an amazing drive to retrieve which can take her rather high - but the rough play has pretty much stopped and she can happily sit patiently when others have a go at Agility or if a dog is running loose. So for me 2 years of age is a lovely stage ... though from experience I know that 3 is even better :D

My Cavvies calm down and mature at a much earlier age - generally around a year to 18 months and they are pretty chilled with a good impulse control. They learn stops and distance control far earlier than my Labs.

J

margy, Sarah H, Picklelily and 2 others like this.
  6. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Dillon was about 4, but could still be an idiot right up to, when we had to say Good Bye to him.

Amelia M Richards and tabelmabel like this.
  8. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I think you know you've got the livelier breed :D

J

tabelmabel likes this.
  9. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Not sure my lot ever got that excited to begin with! Any calmer and Id have to poke them to check they are still breathing!LOL:D

10. Tyton

Tyton PetForums VIP

Kahn (newfie) has always been calm. he plays and bounces about, but is also quite steady
    Beau (newfie) was awful til about 3.5 yr, then he started to get his sensible head on - he still bounces and gazelle leaps with excitement but can also hold it together and act like a grown up too.
    Sam (TM) is just turned three and still an obnoxious teenager, won't listen, throws tantrums if doesn't get his own way, sulks.

All three have had (lots!) of similar training, It's just a matter of persistence and patience I think.......

11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Toffee is 8 and slightly slower than she was but pretty much as loony.

12. danielled

danielled Guest

Buddy will be 7 this year and he’s still a complete loon.

13. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Nooka started to calm down at about 2 and definitely calmed down by about 3. Fly is still a loony at 5 years old. Not really sure about Puzzle, he's not particularly nutty now at 2 but has his moments! I teach my dogs to chill out so if they are being particularly silly it usually means they need something like the loo.

14. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

Danny is nearly 10, and when he has a calm day we panic that something is wrong :Hilarious
    Bradley turned 7 last month and still acts like a baby elephant.
    I hope they're always the same :).

Freddie is 13.5 years old, and has only slightly changed because of illness.

15. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Elliot is 3. Hrs calm in the sense that he settles really well in the house, has good impulse control etc. But being out in the world is still the best thing ever and he still acts like a lunatic! But at least he’s a lunatic with ears! :D

I can’t really remember with McKenzie but she’s always been much more sensible. I think around 18 months she was pretty blasé about things.

16. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Benji kinda gradually calmed down between ages 2-3. He's still excitable about certain things, he runs round like a loon when he's playing and he goes nuts when family members come to visit like he hasn't seen them in years, but overall he is noticeably more mature and chilled out than when he was younger (he's 7 now).

Harley was around 12 months old when I got him (now around 6 years old) and I don't think he has changed much really, like Benji he is also excitable in certain situations, but on the whole is quite calm when out & about and always has been.

17. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Tango was still very puppy-like at 15, right up to a couple of weeks before she died. She got highly excited about walks every day, jumping up and grabbing the lead, nipping the backs of my legs and mouthing my hands. I did get quite irritated to be honest but miss her silliness so much now .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice