Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

What a night! We acquired a Golden Retriever and a parrot!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tigerneko, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

It's madness! Here are the tales!

The parrot:

It started when my mum went to my aunts house this afternoon.... she had seen a parrot flying around her garden & ended up setting up a dog crate with food outside & leaving the door open. She went out in the morning and the bird was in there, so she's had him for the last few days. She's informed the police & also contacted our local radio station to ask them to put out a message but otherwise she's kept him. However, she has bad lungs and can't keep him for long if he isn't claimed..... but my mum said we could :scared:

so that's that. We may be keeping him indefinitely until he's claimed. she's going to ask a friend who has an aivary if they want him first but i'd imagine they will have small birds so he probably won't be able to go in with them safely. She's going to take him to the vets to see if he is chipped. He doesn't have a ring, so we can't trace anyone that way.

She's had him for a good few days and only just reported him today since she didn't think to do it until my mum said, but police told her no parrots have been reported missing so I am wondering if he's abandoned. He looks in good shape and he doesn't appear to have been plucking - but I've only seen a small mobile phone picture.

I am a bit torn over this - I want to find that there's a distraught family searching for him out there somewhere..... but I also want another parrot :D so I will keep you all updated and would also be very grateful for any advice on keeping a 'found' animal..... does it ever officially become 'ours'? I mean, if we had him for 6 months and his desperate, loving owner came forward then we'd let him go back to them but I don't want to feel like i've got a 'stolen' parrot in the house :eek:

So anyway.... about that dog!!

The dog:
    I was in the pub with the OH when I just happened to be browsing Facebook on my phone, having just got over the shock of the parrot situation :rolleyes: when I read my mum's status, which was something along the lines of 'just waiting to have a 'found' golden retriever dropped off for the night'. So, me and the OH promptly downed our drinks and left for my house. My dad works as a policeman and had come across this beautiful GR wandering down the road on his own, so he stopped and collected him. Not wanting to keep the dog in the police kennels (known as doggy dungeons) over night, he rang my mum and said the dog was coming to our place. By the time me & the OH had got back, my dad was just driving away with the dog. They had brought him in and let him have a sniff in the garden & had a drink from Ruby's bowls inside but both the Retriever and Tiger had gone mad barking and snarling at each other through the conservatory door so we decided it wasn't a good idea to introduce them, or even try :(

so Mr Retriever went to stay at my OH's house instead :thumbup: we gave him a quick walk around the block & the OH gave him some food and water at his house and he settled down. My dad rang about an hour later to say that the dog's owner has been found and that he (my dad) was on his way to pick up the dog to reunite him with his owner.

So a happy ending for the doggy! We nearly had a blinkin houseful tonight!

2. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Will PM you - don't want to broadcast too much info on him :)

3. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

You bird brain.. :lol: ...... :lol: ......... :D

4. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

sounds like quite a night lol

5. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

Since I can't say too much on the bird, I will post some photos of the dog, he is home safely now & I managed to take a few rubbish pics, he wouldn't stay still bless him :D

he was very friendly & very well behaved - he knew 'sit' and 'down' (as in lie down) but pulled like nobody's business on the lead! I will miss him now that he's gone home but i'm happy for him cos the poor chap must have been confused :eek:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    excuse my legs :eek:

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

You know what they say, things usually come in threes, will be watching with interest to see what you are going to be finding next!!!:rolleyes::

7. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

oh no, whatever will it be next! Probably a horse or a Llama or something ridiculous :lol:

When my dad first started in the police he nearly came home with a Harris Hawk for the night :scared: :scared: but luckily it's owner reported it missing! That would've been an interesting night :lol:

8. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

My kids.. :lol: :lol:

9. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

10. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice