UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waffles was admitted on Monday afternoon to receive his anti-biotics and anti-nausea by injection. His first ultrasound was 4th May which showed a mass on his liver adjacent to his gall bladder. Today he has had a follow up scan (so 7 weeks later) and there is a further mass on the liver and a very obvious tumor. This rules out IBD and cancer / lymphoma is now the likely cause of his issues. The vet has said he won't pull through this. I'm heartbroken, but deep down I knew.

·
Cat Chat Friend
20,510 Posts
Oh I am so very sad and sorry to hear this. It did cross my mind a few days ago as you were having a similar experience to me and my old cat who had suspected pancreatitis but it turned out to be intestinal cancer.
We did put him through investigation and an op but with hindsight I wish we hadn’t as it made little difference to his long term prospects.
Be comforted that you have done everything possible for him - he will have known your love and care and after their basic needs are met this is all a cat ever wants from life.
I don’t know how much time you have left with him but give him everything he wants and spoil him rotten. Cats have no real concept of time so whether it’s one day more or one month more they only live for today. Give him lots of love and cuddles.

I am so sorry I can tell how much you love him.

·
Obedient Cat Slave
5,328 Posts
So very sorry to read this - to lose a beloved companion is one of the most heartbreaking things that can happen but to make that final decision to let them go is also one of the kindest things that we can do for our furry friends

·
Registered
668 Posts
I’m so sorry to read this, my thoughts are with you.
I had the same thing with my Fuzzy just after Christmas, when for months it had been thought to be IBD.
An op and chemo didn’t seem fair and the vet said prognosis was ‘poor’ so we had to say goodbye.

I really feel for you and hope you can spend as much quality time with him as possible :(

·
Shunra Oriental Cats
15,539 Posts
Very sorry to hear this. I had a cat quite a few years ago with something similar, and he kept going with a good quality of life on long-lasting steroid injections until one day it was obvious it was time for PTS. If your vet offers them I think them well worth trying.

·
Cat Chat Friend
20,510 Posts
Very sorry to hear this. I had a cat quite a few years ago with something similar, and he kept going with a good quality of life on long-lasting steroid injections until one day it was obvious it was time for PTS. If your vet offers them I think them well worth trying.
Actually this has reminded me - we gave Ben a B12 injection every couple of weeks and it used to perk him up for a while (and sometimes got his appetite up) might be worth a mention too.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
es was admitted on Monday afternoon to receive his anti-biotics and anti-nausea by injection. His first ultrasound was 4th May which showed a mass on his liver adjacent to his gall bladder. Today he has had a
Thank you for this info, he is now just a hair over 3kg and isn’t eating much at all. The steroids he had 2 weeks ago didn’t do a lot for his appetite I’m afraid. I think this is his time.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We went to the vet yesterday evening to speak with them and bring Waffy home. They showed us the ultrasound they took - there is a very obvious tumour which is quite large given his little body. We discussed what would happen and we brought him home last night. He was happy to be home. This morning I have been awake on and off since 4am. He slept by my side all night. Around 5am he had some biscuits and came back to me for a big cuddle and was purring loudly.

Today is our last full day with him. The vet are kindly making a home visit tomorrow afternoon to ease him on his way. We’re going to have a nice chilled day just enjoying him and get ready to say goodbye. I hope he can know how much I have loved him.

·
Obedient Cat Slave
5,328 Posts
@SnowyMittens I can't 'like' your post but want you to know that I'll be thinking of you and Waffles tomorrow and wishing him a safe, stress free journey to the bridge.

"I just wanted to let you know that I made it home. The journey wasn't an easy one, but it didn't take too long.
Everything is so pretty here, so white, so fresh and new I wish that you could close your eyes and that you could see it too.
Please try not to be sad for me. Try to understand God is taking care of me...I'm in the shelter of His hands.
Here there is no sadness, no sorrow, and no pain. Here there is no crying and I'll never hurt again.
Here it is so peaceful when all the angels sing. I really have to go for now... I've just got to try my wings."

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
@SnowyMittens I hope that you have a lovely day filled with purrs and cuddles.

I've lost two cats to cancer, the first was a very similar situation to Waffles. It really is longer to let them go before they get really, really poorly.

I will be thinking of you today and tomorrow xx
Thank you so much, we have given him some tuna for breakfast, his absolute favourite!

·
Cat Chat Friend
20,510 Posts
Oh I am so glad he’s home and that the vet will be coming to the house. You couldn’t be doing any more for him.

I will think of you all today esp this afternoon and hope that it happens peacefully and quickly when the time

How lovely that he’s had tuna for breakfast.

I am heartbroken for you xx

1 - 20 of 46 Posts