Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

We've cracked it!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by PoisonGirl, Aug 14, 2009.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Dave can fetch!!! :D I'm so proud of him!

I am in the middle of tidying my living room and found 3 balls under the couch. Dixie was busy with her chew in the other room so I asked Dave to wait and rolled the ball away, then said OK and enthusiastically called him back and he dropped it in my hand :D

We were doing this for about 10 mins and only once he stopped halfway back (I was only rolling it a few metres) but I called him and he brought it to me. He will wait until I say OK to go get the ball.

Everytime he brought it back I was making loads of fuss and getting him exited about the ball. So his reward for fetching is getting to go again.

Then Dixie wanted to play so I was making them take turns, which is really good for Dixie because she is an obsessvie fetcher. I stopped the game when Dave lay down half way to chew the ball, so he gets that if he doesn't bring it back, he doesn't get to play.

x

2. Trevs_mum

Trevs_mum PetForums Member

Well done u, sounds like ur doing really well xxxx

3. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Well done!! I always wanted a dog that would play fetch with me!! Now I have Sidney and I wish I'd never taught him!! I swear my right shoulder is bigger than my left from all the years of chucking a bloody tennis ball!!!:rolleyes:

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hehehe Yeah I know exactly what you mean!
    Dixie taught herself fetch, with absolutely no teaching from me! One day she just brought a ball and dropped it in my lap and that was that.
    She will fetch until the point of exhastion and then some more. I was considering designing a thing similar to the flybal machine but that throws them further, so she can amuse herself instead of making my arm tired! Lol

x

5. nickmcmechan

nickmcmechan PetForums Member

I struggled with fetch / retrieve with my lab retriever x :blushing:

I got some advice from a very experienced working trials handler which worked a treat!

What I did first was to throw a toy out (in a new field so he wasn't aware of the boundaries / where I could go) and then run like hell in the opposite direction....she followed me with the toy and when she caught up we played for a while. I kept repeating this and building it up for more throws / more time and I can get her to retrieve.

I also knew what the eventual outcome I wanted was. So, I also trained it in reverse...I would get her to sit right in front of me in the house and would drop a dumbell at my feet. I would let her pick up and, to start, I would immediately take it from her and give her a treat. I repeated this until I could get her to hold the dumbell and put it in hand on comman. I then started walking back a step and calling her to sit in front and give it to me, built this up over time.

So, eventually I had the go out and get and bring back to get a reward and the put it in hand ends...just needed to tie them together...

Next stage I used was to have two identical toys. I threw one out and the dog brought it back and I then threw the other. Kept repeating this and eventually had the dog running out, retrieving the toy, sitting in front of me, putting it in my hand. Bingo!

I then moved on to the Working Trials retrieve. Dog at side. Throw out dumbell. Dog waits (she has a good stay anyway). Dog 'finds' on command, brings back to me.

This for me has been the hardest work of any training I've had to do with this dog. Next stage - search squares!

PS forgot to say every training session ended on a high with a tug game.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice