Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

We've been offered a rescue!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Polimba, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

A few weeks ago my friend and dog walker who volunteers at the rescue posted on FB about a labradoodle boy who had come in and I commented on him. He was rehomed quickly and wasn't there when I did the photoshoot there last weekend. I got a text yesterday to say he'd come back after 3 days(!) as he had seperation anxiety, which apprently was chewing, so he would have to be crated.

Apart from persuading my OH, as I don't think he's keen I'm not sure as we would have to leave him for a few hours a day. I have said to my friend I will also see if my FIL is interested as he would make a great home :D

I guess I'm a bit scared about upsetting the apple cart at home.

2. emmaviolet

emmaviolet PetForums VIP

i think what you have to ask is am i the best home for this dog?

if yes then try hard for him, if not then maybe let someone else take him on.

if you would have to leave him then maybe let someone else who is home all day rehome him as he suffers from separation anxiety and would have to be left.

does he get on with other dogs too?

3. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

I'm going to speak to my friend tonight as I'm not clear if it is speration anxiety or the people who took him couldn't be bothered.

He gets on with other dogs and cats.

4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Go with an open mind & try not to let your heart rule your head!

Having a second dog was a big change for us but am so glad we did. Good luck with your decision :D

5. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Look at all the pros and cons and make a decision based on your capabilities rather than your heart although that obviously that comes into play. We have never regretted having more than one dog but you do need to make sure you can handle it financially and in regards to time. Cooperation and understanding between all the family is essential.

We now have 4 dogs and couldn't imagine it any other way. It's hard work at times and a drain on finances. Holiday options etc are limited and simple things like space in the car need to be taken into consideration. We've been really lucky in the fact the dogs have all accepted one another which is never guaranteed.

6. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Good luck with your decision; I know you'll make the best one for all concerned....very exciting though!

7. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

We decided not to take the little labradoodle. He would need crating when we are not there and we didn't feel it was fair as we are out all day. OH wasn't keen on upsetting the harmony we have with Zimba and Polly either.

However FIL is seriously considering him :D Although he lives a lont way away the rescue are willing to rehome to him. He's worried about holidays but we could have him no problem.

We've agreed to wait until/if our circumstances change to add to our happy family.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice