Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

We've been adopted. . . by a Maine Coon!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by stars_pun, Jun 24, 2009.

1. stars_pun

stars_pun PetForums Newbie

We live in Downtown Ottawa Canada, this summer has been the summer of stray cats around our building and about 3 weeks ago a very friendly, fuzzy cat arrived and started following us around. My 9 year old was taken with him right away, while I was hesitant as we already have a cat (with attitude).

We live on the second floor of the building. There is a fire escape platform for another apartment about 5 feet from our kitchen window, last Sunday at 6am, I heard a cat meowing in the house. Knowing our cat was outside, I got up to investigate and found this large cat on my window sill !!!!! I had no choice but to let him in as he was in quite a situation. my daughter noted that morning that she thought he might have some "wild cat" mixed into him because his eyes were so dense and focused - I had been thinking he was a Maine Coon. The thickness of his legs and size of paws, the tufts in his ears and the intensity of his face and eyes. But the real give away was the tail - so long and fluffy, so expressive.

I've done a lot of research on this breed over the past couple of days an am now convinced that he is in fact a Maine Coon. He's very playful yet super mellow and he's loaded with mats to the point of dreadlocks.

I'd like to know if anyone could help me figure out a couple of things. First the mats - he has so many and some are so huge, I've had to clip them out, he seems okay about being brushed but when I get to a mat he gets upset. Any tips on loosening the mats?

Also, although he's quite large I know he's quite young, he's long and very slender, likely from being so hungry as a stay for what is likely his entire life - so my next question is - how would one assess his age?

I look forward to hearing from anyone and thank you for reading my long(ish) post!

salute
    misha and ruby

2. Cyberfyn

Cyberfyn PetForums VIP

Hi. Are you sure he's not just lost? Being a pedigree he's probably being missed. Do you have chipping over there?

The mats will have to be cut out I'm afraid. Coonies are usually quite laid back about it (our Dexter is) and you can use an electric trimmer. I used a beard trimmer to great effect :)

A vet can tell his age from his teeth. There is no other way to find out I'm afraid.... Unless you cut him in half and count the rings :D Although if you post a pic it might help. Maine Coons tails grow out quite slowly. Have a look at the pic of Dexter. He's 8 months old in it and his tail is half of what it will be when he's fully matured (4-5) years old.

[​IMG]

Ian.

3. Summer1098

Summer1098 PetForums Senior

I agree. If I where you, I'd try to find out if it has owners.

4. stars_pun

stars_pun PetForums Newbie

Thanks for responding.

I'd thought that he was lost too. We do have chipping here, and as a general rule pets are tattooed at the same time but I didn't find a tattoo. I do notice lost pet posters in my neighbourhood, and especially over the past 2 months, as our property seems to be swelling weekly with more strays, I've been checking the papers and local listings for lost cats ads.
    Frankly, we're beginning to rival the Cats of Parliament Hill (google that for a little Canadiana LOL).

Seriously, in the past 8 weeks, we've acquired about 6 or 7 stray cats here. Some are terribly skittish, and a couple are badly injured. My neighbour and I are working to gain trust with some of the more frightened ones by providing a feeding time and gentle words. We've seen a couple of the more scared ones really come around over the past couple of weeks and are now looking for either a rescue mission or a vet to assist us in helping the injured ones and to help us try find homes for these fellas - they are all males. Maybe a Cat Mill was busted in our area recently <shrugs>.

Phoenix seemed to be the youngest, the friendliest, the hungriest and, based on his nose dive to my second floor kitchen window, the most desperate for human companionship. Frankly, he was after my daughter and has basically accepted her as his.

Dexter is a beaut! he looks a little bigger than Phoenix. I can't be certain Phoenix is a pedigree, but he really has more than less of the Maine Coon character traits and physical features than your typical tabby. Based on Dexter being 8 months, and looking at Phoenix, if he's Maine Coon he's maybe 4-6 months - if he's a blend, he's maybe 6-8 months.

Here's a few of the better shots I got this evening.

Misha and Ruby

Attached Files:

5. Cyberfyn

Cyberfyn PetForums VIP

Yeah, I think he has a little Coonie in him somewhere. More than likely a X though.

Certainly looks to be making himself at home :)

Ian.

6. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

aww he is gorgeous, :)

7. Summer1098

Summer1098 PetForums Senior

Hmm, yes, I think she's got a bit of a Coon face, though not much.
    Very sweet:)

8. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

He's a little small in the muzzle area & his ears are not large/tufty enough but the tail looks familiar!

9. Number 1

Number 1 PetForums Member

Just don't call him Heatley

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice