Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

wet versus dry

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by kitties, Aug 6, 2009.

1. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

what do you recommend? i've been to two pet shops today who both say dry (premium brands) my cats have half wet and always have dry food on hand , but one is pregnant and expecting her babies soon, so want to introduce them to the best, please advise.

2. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

It's really down to your & your cats preferences. You can use one or the other, both or even a raw food diet. Personally I free feed premium dry food & occassionally they have some wet food or some poached white fish. If you do feed wet food, try to find one with a high meat content - a lot have very low. For your pregnant cat, she should really move on to kitten food which has more nutrients in it to support her at this time.

3. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

I would always say wet over dry. A good quality wet food with high meat content and no grains or cereals, for instance Hi Life, Natures Menu, Forthglade, Bozita, Applaws (which does contain rice, but just a small percentage). Dry is very dehydrating and not a natural diet for a cat. Having said that there are some better quality drys on the market now - Applaws dry for instance, so if you wanted to still give some dry every now and then, that one is a pretty good bet. :)

4. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Applaws cans aren't complete though, they are complementry. The dry is however. Again it is your cats personal preference. Mine love their dry food. All the kittens i have had have always been raised with dry kibble too and are still on it.
    But watch out for what you cat likes/dislikes. I know how it feels! It is a Jungle out there trying to choose the best diet for your pets!
    xx

5. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

shes completely not interested in high life, I got adult and kitten version, she wont eat kitten version at all, and the adult one, between my two cats they only ate half a tin.

They seem to like the James Wellbeloved dry so Ill start serving that and give them a sachets as well. They do like their wet food, but just cant get them on to a higher quality one.

Im back to pet shop today to buy her some kitten food she will eat.

6. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

Im going to wean the kittens on to the JW dry, but will hopefully serve them titbits of meat.

7. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

is rice a good or a bad thing? jw has equal rice to meat in it.

8. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Rice or potato or any kind of carbohydrate is a cheap filler. Cats need a very very low % of carbs in their diet as they are obligate carnivores. Aside from the dehrydration issues the level of carbs in dry food is what makes wet or fresh food the better diet for your cat.

9. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Couldnt agree more, its hard to change a cats diet but its for their own good and i managed to change my fussy cat to hi-life. Shes indoor so cant eat anything else, i weaned it in slowly and she was hungry enough to eat it because thats her only source of food. Children would love to eat chocolate all day as their main diet, doesnt mean we let them.

I cant stand dry food, mine have 60% meat high-life pouches.

10. goulash

goulash PetForums Junior

I can't stand dry either, esp after one of mine has had problems (bladder stones, etc). I've read many things on this forum, and across the interweb in general, about wet versus dry. The same points keep coming up! Yes, there are some heathy dry foods out there. But wet provides more natural things than dry, on the whole. And the argument that a cat fed dry "drinks more water" just doesn't cut it with me. They're not designed to function or behave that way as animals - and they dont - ie, they simply dont drink more water. They end up more dehydrated.

Maybe I'm lucky with my two. They'll eat whatever food is put in front of them. They can be fussy, yes. They'll sulk away, slink off perhaps. An hour later, they're eating what's there.

They were both seriously malnourished before we took them on (aged 3, rescue cats). To them, even now, any food is a bonus. Which is why all these arguments about cats not taking to wet (for example) seem so bizarre to me.

If they're offered it, cats will eat it, or they wont. It's only when we pander to them it makes things worse. And to my mind, a cat that's hungry will eat ANYTHING that seems fit - it's up to US to decide how to deal with that. I don't believe there's such a thing as a cat that won't eat a healthy diet, a wet diet - nor do I believe there's one that can't change

#10 goulash, Aug 8, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  11. spid

spid PetForums VIP

As many people know _ I' a wet food or raw advocate and so often don't post on these threads anymore. But in my opinion wet is the best and dry is useful at times but other than that (going out for the day - maybe) is completely unnecessary. I know many will disagree and so won't go into the reasons all over again but that's what I do and none of my cats are overweight and are all healthy too.

12. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

I think the problem with trying different foods right now is the heat, so im not getting to leave it as long as I can so they can go back to it, if they dont like it at first. But if put down their normal Aldi food it goes straight away but the hilife is being wasted (apart from the tuna which they loved).

thanks for your input, still so confused, feel like im being pulled in 2 ways, ive always preferred wet food, always served it to my cats with some dry out as well in case their peckish. It was only on here so many were swearing by the dry, that I went to the pet shop and they said dry too. Better for teeth etc, etc.

So I wanted to find out once for all, before the kittens were born so I could wean them accordingly. Now I still dont know! I am meant to have Amber on the kitten food by now, cos she has 2 weeks left of pregnancy, but she doesnt like the consistency of the hilife kitten food, so thought if i got her on the kitten jw dry food, and then gave her normal wet food that would do?!

13. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I didn't give give minnii or the kittens kitten food - either in pregnacy or after, high quality food is good enough. Hi-life isn't the only food you can give. Try Natures Menu, or the Pets @ home own brand, or Tesco finest, or look on Zooplus. I feed hi qualtity wet food and raw with the occasional handful of dry (when I'm lazy or forget to defrost raw) and the cats and kittens are all healthy and hearty.

14. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

Ive discovered she loves the hilife tuna, so have bought a load of sachets of that. I asked the pet shop about just giving the premium food instead of kitten, because of high meat content etc, then what she was having before but he said that the kitten food is still best cos its got extra protein in! Its a minefield. I am worried shes not getting enough food, with me trying her on the better foods, and scared I'll upset her tummy keep trying her on different stuff. Her poo has been softer the last two days.

15. ambercat

You do need to be careful about chopping and changing foods - if you want to try her on a new food, its best done gradually, i.e. adding about a teaspoon of the new food to the usual food, and then slowly increasing new food, while decreasing amount of old food, over a period of a week or so, rather than just presenting new food - that way you'll avoid tummy upsets. :)

16. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

Thanks Ambercat ive been trying that, shes so parky at the moment! Shes driving me mad, I dont know whether its just cos its so hot but im paranoid she isnt eating enough. The usual food I fed her was wet with the 4% meat which I had no idea of till I started reading on here. Ive gone out today and got kitten version of what she normally has but shes not bothered about that either, had a couple of mouthfuls. Im binning food left right and centre cos of the heat and its turning. She loves the dry JW food, so at least she is eating something.

Also while im on subject lol! The Pet Shop etc say you should give them kitten food because it has more protein, but when Ive checked all the boxes theres only .5% difference at most 1% will that really make a difference?

17. ambercat

Well all I'll say, is that kittens did just fine before kitten food was invented! If you feed a high meat content food the kittens will be having all the protein they need. I'm afraid 'life stages' foods are just another marketing ploy by the pet food manufacturers - at the rate they are going cats will need a different food for every year of their life! I mean there are already foods for every situation you could possibly think of, i.e. adult cat indoor, adult cat outdoor/active, adult cat who hasnt decided whether to be indoor or outdoor....etc etc, LOL! ;)

Personally I wouldnt set too much store by what the pet shop says -the staff may have all sorts of certificates to say they are trained in nutrition, but all that means is one or many pet food manufacturers have told them their food is best! :)

18. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

Thanks. I just feel so responsible right now bringing kittens into the world. My poor little girls poo is so soft (not runny). I hope its not upsetting the babies. I think tomorrow im just putting her back to the cat food shes always liked all be it only 4 % meat ill put the higher quality dry food out though.

Then will give her the high life tuna as a treat, cos its only hi life she will touch.

Thanks for all your help and advice. I really appreciate it, and your right about the shops it really is getting ridiculous, the choices they are putting out there.

19. saxa21

saxa21 PetForums Member

I read all the posts on the topic :) I've got 8 week old kitten and bought him Royal Canin Babycat food pouches and dry. As he loved the pouches (at the moment I'm not giving him as he's had upset stomach) I cannot make him eat dry food. Any ideas how can I encourage him?

I've got automatic feeder for wet food as I'm not at home most of the day and I leave him dry food but he doesnt touch it at all.

Please help.

20. thompsonk

thompsonk PetForums Member

Tilda will eat wet or dry and loves them both and its Whiskers! Cue the many tuts and shaking of heads! Shes now only on Whiskers kitten dry because shes still feeding the babies who are 2 wks old. She gets cat milk nearly every day and king prawns, chicken or duck which i cook for her as a treat. She loves the dry, which im pleased about because the wet smells soooo bad!

The kittens will all be weaned onto Kitten dry food too as after speaking to the people who are getting the kittens thats what they will be feeding on, the kittens will of course get the same treats as Tilda, maybe not the duck because its very rich.

I had Tilda on kitten food about 2wks before she gave birth and when i took her and the babies to the vet the day she had them, the vet said she was very healthy, happy and full of milk, he also said the kittens were full of milk and that continues to be the vets opinion (and it wants to be the right one for the £25 CONSULTATION fee!!)

I do let Bacon, the smallest of the babies, have a little time with Tilda on her own for feeding so she can get the best teat and shes not fighting the other 5 for them so much.

xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice