Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wet / raw food advice please

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by costalcabana, May 2, 2019.

1. costalcabana

costalcabana PetForums Newbie

I have 2 cats which were mainly fed on a dry food diet with 1 wet food meal in the evening.
    Flynn, is a greedy boy and had always had a tendency to eat too fast and too much and bring it all back up again. He's always preferred dry food over wet I think because he found it easier to eat as sometimes he'd be attempting to eat the wet food for a while then move away from his bowl and it would still be full minus the sauce!
    After a lot of trial and error and lots of high quality foods from Zoo plus Both Milo and Flynn like to eat Gourmet Gold Savory Cake. And I'm happy to say that it's a food that they both eat. Flynn does not bring any food up when he eats wet, so this is something I want to pursue.
    The down side being that it has a low meat content and they always appear to be hungry. I buy the mixed box but they only like 3 of the 4 flavours which makes it quite expensive for what they actually eat.

I wondered if there was a food out there that had a similar texture to it? I'll try and add a photo. They won't even eat the Gourmet with chunks and with it only having 4% meat it's not keeping them full.
    I have thought about trying them on a raw food diet, but I don't want to make my own until I know they like it and I've looked at a few suppliers like Natural Instinct and Luna & Me but a rather large order has to be placed and I'd just like to sample it for now.
    I have given them finely chopped chicken before and they have eaten it but they do not like the pouches of Natures Menu.
    Do you have any suggestions of similar textured wet food that they could try or and raw food suppliers that sell in small trial quantities please?

2. costalcabana

Here's they type of food texture they like to eat. It's like shredded meat.

Attached Files:

3. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

My cat does eat that gourmet cake but its pretty poor quality so he's has only had it a couple of times. He is also very fussy and likes shredded meat style food. So we have him on a diet predominantly of Thrive kitten wet food and we given him Thrive adult wet food for different flavours as the kitten only comes in chicken flavour. We occasionally give him Applaws wet pouches but it isn't a complete food so this is a treat. We also have some cans of other brands which we try small amounts of to try and keep extending his tastes - recently he likes purina gourmet solitaire beef and tomato and we have purina crystal soups too. I am guilty of giving him 20 to 25g dry food through the night - Purina Junior or Applaws Kitten. Check out the fussy eaters thread for more advice!

costalcabana likes this.
  4. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

5. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

For better quality of the things I feed the closest resemblance I can think of is true instinct pouches but they are expensive. Mine only get it once a week.

6. sandy-cat

sandy-cat PetForums Senior

Sandy went through a phase of Gourmet Gold Savoury Cake (Ragout Rafine on Zooplus which sounds much nicer!!). You can buy it cheaper at Zooplus, and in specific flavours rather than a mixed box, so that might help pricewise.

There aren't many out there with the same type of texture as the Gourmet Gold one in my experience. The closest I can think of which is good quality is Carnilove, which is pate-like on first glance but is actually very dense shredded meat. Might be worth a shot?

Other brands you might like to try:
    - Canagan
    - Thrive
    - Blink
    - Miaowing Heads

There are also complementary shredded foods that you could use as an occasional treat to vary his diet, such as Applaws, Cosma and Schesir.

costalcabana likes this.
  7. costalcabana

Thank you for all of your replies, I think I need to take a look at the fussy eaters thread!

I have given my cats the Thrive tins in the past and they loved them....but will no longer eat any of them! Milo would eat Feringa pouches for a long time but Flynn wouldn't touch them but then they were OOS for a few months with Zoo plus and maybe they changed the recipe as he would never eat them again. I've also tried Meowing heads in a few flavours but that didn't go down well neither did the canagan pouches. I've also tried MACS, Bozita, Animonda Carny Exotic, Animonda Fafine, Encore, Applaws and most supermarket brands. They tend to like gravy more than jelly. But if they eat one tin/pouch they're not usually bothered about eating it again. Which is why I was wondering about possibly raw feeding.

8. Amanda Sturdy

Amanda Sturdy PetForums Member

Granatapet filet a la carte it's just like the one in the picture

9. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

image.jpg
    This is the natures menu true instinct (1/2 a pouch)

Amanda Sturdy likes this.
  10. Amanda Sturdy

Amanda Sturdy PetForums Member

20190510_190953.jpg This is the granatapet filet a la cartr

11. Nutty15

Nutty15 PetForums Junior

Hi - just seen this, are you saying that Savoury Cake & Ragout are exactly the same? Bought the Ragout from zooplus but seen Savoury Cake in supermarkets so wonder if I can buy in an emergency. Thanks

12. sandy-cat

sandy-cat PetForums Senior

Yes it's the same thing - took me a while to work it out because the name is different!

Nutty15 likes this.
  13. Nutty15

Nutty15 PetForums Junior

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice