Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wet patches on covers while sleeping

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by RoccoG, Aug 25, 2013.

1. RoccoG

RoccoG PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I have an 8 month old male miniature jack Russell Chihuahua cross who sleeps on the foot of my bed. Recently I have noticed little wet patches on the covers when he moves from one area of the bed to another more comfortable area. From what I can tell it is coming from his penis and it's happening while he's asleep. The liquid is clear, though, sometimes has a small yellow dot in the centre of the larger clear patch and it generally does not have any smell, apart from once or twice it's smelt of faint urine. This has only started happening over the last 2 weeks. I live in a flat so he does not have access to a garden to do his business but I have trained him to go on a mat which I clean daily. He usually goes to it very early morning while I am sleeping and late at night. I take him out twice a day where he does several marking pees.

Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Tillystar

Tillystar PetForums VIP

Could I just ask when he goes to the door during day do u take him outside to do his wee/poo?

3. RoccoG

RoccoG PetForums Newbie

Like I said, I live in a flat with no garden so I have trained him to go on a mat when I am not around. When I am at home I do take him out for 5 minute periods to see if he needs the toilet, several times a day. Other than that he only goes on his mat twice daily in the morning and late at night, both when I am sleeping. This dribbling pee in his sleep is a new thing, 2 weeks max. I have been googling and it's sounding more like a Urinary tract infection the more things I read!

4. Jet90

Jet90 PetForums Member

Sounds like a possible uti to me, any changes in their elimination habits need to be addressed by a vet asap, really, esp with urination as if there is a blockage that isnt treated quickly it can be fatal.

Book him in to the vets as soon as you can. Good luck and keep us updated please x

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Have you noticed him peeing more then normal in quantity and frequency as well, if he seems to be then that's often a sign of a urinary tract infection. They can also lose a certain amount of control if they have an infection too.

If its suddenly started happening and is continuing its probably not a bad idea to get him checked out, if you can take a urine sample in a clean dry watertight container too it will save time as they can test it.

6. RoccoG

RoccoG PetForums Newbie

To be honest I've noticed he's been going less on the mat I've trained him to use. He still does his marking as much on every available lamp post and such when out on walks. But yes, the dribbling in his sleep has came on suddenly. I will book an appointment on Tuesday. Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice