Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wet food

Discussion in 'Bird Health and Nutrition' started by kaz, Jan 15, 2008.

1. kaz

kaz PetForums Junior

Something that has really surprised me since I got my OH to build an aviary to free my caged mule and add canaries to keep him company is how much they enjoy 'wet' food such as lettuce, cress, brocolli and apples.

They fly onto it as soon as I put it into the cage and the 8 of them can finish a halved apple in days. I'm afraid that I was guilty of only giving my caged bird something like this occasionally. They also enjoy a bowl of black sunflower seeds.:)

I hope that you all 'treat' your birds:)

2. claire

claire Guest

My cockertiel refuses to eat anything fresh but would pinch a crisp or chips off us, i have consulted our vet and give him what i can to keep him health but he turns his nose up at everything

3. kitty

kitty PetForums Newbie

4. kitty

kitty PetForums Newbie

5. EllenJay

EllenJay PetForums Member

Have you tried grating the fruit or veg, some birds dont like it in great big chunks. Also, what about EMP eggfood given rather 'sloppy'. It does swell and soak up the water so make it really runny. It may take some weeks but if you can get your bird to take a little of this, then you can add grated apple, carrot etc to it. For really fussy birds and especially those which have been handreared, try offering it from a spoon.

For those that give apple and pear etc please remove the pips as they are believed to be toxic tp birds and other small animals.

6. claire

claire Guest

we have tried everything with ours he is a funny bugger,,,,, i do buy dried stuff from a good pet shop but he wont touch fresh stuff:confused:

7. EllenJay

EllenJay PetForums Member

:D:D Claire - they can be fussy when they want to be.

8. kitty

kitty PetForums Newbie

I found out years ago that birds are like kids they either love or hate no in between The egg food is good i do use that the other way my bird will try is if I eat first then she has to have the spoon :rolleyes:

9. claire

claire Guest

i think all birds have far more character and intelligence than alot of people give them credit for... Untill ya live with one ya never realise how funny and manipulative!!! they can be... excellent company too

10. mialovesernie

mialovesernie PetForums Newbie

Cockateils Are Very Picky And Tend Towards The "all Seed Diet". Dont Fall 4 It-thats Unhealthy...sadly Obesity Related...:(

11. jeanie

jeanie PetForums VIP

My cockatiel is 29 years old and wont touch wet food never has , he now will only eat honey treats sticks one a day he has, though he has regular food in his dishes he wont touch it and has been living quite happy on honey treats for a few years now, though i always keep seed in his dishes the vet says his beak may be to soft for sunflower seeds as hes so old but hes really perky and plays with us a lot and is very healthy .

12. lonetcrystal

lonetcrystal PetForums Newbie

The use of an all-pellet diet, and the need for a greater consumption of water for birds who are on a diet consisting of all dry foods. A good source of clean water is essential for birds, especially those who are fed a diet of dry foods. Veterinarians and scientists have worked fervently over the years to develop formulated diets in which nutrients are balanced for the benefit of our birds. Diet consisting of 50% pellets and 50% wet food is a good balance.
    -----------------
    Lonet

Search Engine Submissions

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice