Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

wet food vs dry food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by LisaCHughes, May 2, 2011.

1. LisaCHughes

LisaCHughes PetForums Junior

I have found this forum incredibly useful for bringing me up to speed with cat nutrition as I had held rather outdated views....... however I have driven myself nearly demented trying to work out the best diet for my kitties. Is the main argument against dry food the fact that a) has grains and other fillers and b) fluid intake can be a problem?

One of my kitties is very fussy and unless I mash chicken, tuna or prawns into her pouch food she won't eat it. I don't want to have to continue doing this. She does however happily free feed on James wellbeloved dry food. I have done as much research as I can into the cat food that is available locally (am reluctant to do a big zooplus order and then discover that she won't eat it) and whilst they may not have fillers, most seem to contain sugars & other things I really do not want to feed my cat. They do also seem to contain a lot of water so hardly VFM? My kittens are drinking well - watched one this morning drink from their bowl, the dog's bowl & the water fountain. They are also still having cimicat.

If not JB, is there another dry food that would be better (and is reasonably easy to get hold of), and could I mostly feed this with the occasional pouch/raw food?

2. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

I feed Hill's Science Plan as that is what was recommended by the rescue centre and my Vet's list that as good dry food too. I am currently trying to find a good wet food and think that after the current supply of Felix I have I will go for Grau varieties. I don't think my kittens like lamb at all so will pick chicken and fish for them.

Trying to figure all this out right now too, so comments would be interesting.

One thing I was wondering though - my cat lived to 16 and only died as his hind leg was run over. He lived on whiskars and Kattomeat (doesn't exist anymore I think). He also had Go Cat left out for him. He never had any problems with his kidneys etc. Has the content of the product changed at all, as Forum members are really against it? Wondering if EU directives/new laws of what meats can be used are making the product less nutrious/effective than it used to be. My cat's fur was very glossy and he was always very energetic and healthy etc so it never did him any harm.

3. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I would wait for Hobbs to respond, he knows everything dry vs wet.
    In the meantime you canlook through his threads on best dry and wet foods. I know Grau, which is one of the recommended wet foods you can buy one can of each, so you can try them out.

What wet food is it you feed?

X

4. LisaCHughes

my kitties are currently having pets at home purely as that is the best I could find locally (but it actually isn't at all local!).
    The fussiest one doesn't seem to "get" that she has to put her face into the bowl to eat what is put out for her - she sniffs & purrs and then approaches it from all angles, before walking off to think about it, by which time her greedier little sister has wolfed down all the tastiest bits! I don't want to separate them to be fed as I hope that a bit of competition will stimulate her to copy.

Having said that the fussiest cat is bigger, has grown more and has a much better coat than her greedier sister so hopefully something is going right with the feeding?

5. staffy_missy

staffy_missy PetForums Member

i feed my kitties applaws dry food it has 80% meat content and no rubbish, i give them a bowl full all the time to help themselves when they get hungry :D i also give them a pouch of meat in the morning and at night. I tried them on many wet meats and they didnt like them but i recently got them pets at home pouches and they love em and the good thing is they are cheap too :p you can also get applaws from pets at home. Hope this helped

6. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

In the meanwhile before you can find abetter quality food, it might be worth trying the whiskas simply grilled or oh so meaty?
    This because you mentioned having to mash chicken in her food to get her to eat it. I wouldn't keep it up though, and give some other foods a try. Do you have friends with cats? If so, then you could possibly buy a box of pouches or some tins together and share the cost so you can try them at less of a cost. Alternatively if your kitty doesn't like them you could sell the cans to friends so you cover your costs..

7. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Yes, those are two of the main arguments against solely feeding dry food imo.

Have you tried crushing up her beloved JWB kibble and coating the wet food you would like her to eat with it to see whether that entices her to eat it? Or is there a particular treat that she goes mental for (one that isn't prawns, tuna or chicken) that you could sprinkle on/mix in?

The choice available through local shops or even pets at home is shockingly poor in the UK and a lot of the big brands do contain sugar, that's true. Not sure what other stuff you are referring to that you wouldn't want to feed your cat....

That is why in terms of cat food it makes sense to order it online from the likes of zooplus as this opens up your access to inexpensive good quality food that you find so hard to get in local shops.

This water is exactly the reason why wet food should be fed hun :blink:. It is not a costly filler but an essential ingredient in your cat's diet. Since cats are naturally bad drinkers (which is because they mostly cover their moisture needs from their meat in the wild) even when dry-fed cats drink more compared with their wet-fed cats, they still don't take in as much moisture overall, which in turn leads to more concentrated urine, possible bladder issues etc. There is a link to a study in the dry A-Z if you would like to read more on this.

Orijen would be my preferred dry food. You can get it in some independent pet shops. If you go to the Bern Pet Food site then it will show you some retailers in your area.

Other brands include Acana and Applaws.

Hope that helps!

PS: Hobbs the cat is a he; Hobbs the poster is a she!

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

I am sure that over the years the ingredients of Whiskas, GoCat and Kattomeat (I think you are right, the latter you cannot get any more) have changed - manufacturers tinker forever with their recipes to make it all cheaper and increasing their profit margin.

However, at the same time over the years the range of cat food has increased, which has an impact on the perceived quality of some long-standing brands.

However, what is perhaps most annoying is how poor the UK still is in terms of affordable, good quality, fully-declared cat food. True, zooplus has opened up access to some better quality, affordable foods but the range is still limited compared to the options available in Germany, Scandinavia, and over the pond.

9. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Aha! Not just me! You must just have a very manly posting style lovely :)

(M.A.N.L.Y: Mainly Academic and 'kNowledgeable Lovely and Yellow...) Yeah I cheated a bit....

If you are worried about spending too much on food on a Zooplus order first time OP, chuck in a big bag of litter or some toys to bulk it out :) When I ordered I ordered 1/2 packs of diff brands and flavours, but then my cats are bottomless pits and I needed to make a giant order shortly afterwards :D

10. LisaCHughes

I am failing to crush kibble as it mostly riccochets around the kitchen pleasing my dog ....... I must confess that i haven't tried them with any treats as I don't want to upset their tummies by giving them "junk food", but the fussy one always looks very keen to explore my supper of an evening - which I have to discourage as I don't think teaching them to beg is a good idea.

Will order some orijen dry food & some applaws - they were both very sniffy about the applaws wet food but perhaps it will get to the point where they simply have to get on with it.......

I am also resolved not to buy cat toys as everything in my house seems to double up as a delightful plaything at the moment!

Aletrnatively I will investigate pet mince and it can live in the freezer next to supplies for the owl. Defrosting it alongside baby chicks shouldn't be too hard to remember to do.

11. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Can I give you a piece of unsolicited advice? If your cats aren't that keen on Applaws wet, then don't persevere with it. At the end of the day, it is only complimentary food and as such doesn't contain all the nutrients your cats need.

Oh, have you tried some defrosted chicks for your cats?

12. LisaCHughes

Thanks Hobbs. I wasn't going to persist with Applaws but I have found a local stockist of Orijen.

I thought I would try the kittens with chicks when they are a bit older as at the moment I think they would just play with them & spread bits round the house.

13. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

Now that would be a sight :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice