Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wet food recommendations

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Becky951, Feb 11, 2019.

1. Becky951

Becky951 PetForums Newbie

I have six dogs, two lurchers, an Ibizan Hound, two Chihuahua crosses and a Lhasa Apso cross. A year ago I put them on raw. I was feeding high quality wet, but the three hounds had sloppy poo and sometimes diarrhoea.

The little ones piled on a lot of weight on raw off not very much food, and were constantly hungry, so I put them back on high quality wet. The hounds poos have been perfect on raw, but two of them don't really enjoy it. I have to encourage then to eat, they mess with their food and will often refuse to eat. I tried some wet food this morning, and the heads went straihh in the bowl and didn't come out until it was all gone!

So I'm wondering if anyone could recommend a decent quality wet food that might be better for sensitive tums. I don't want to go back to piles and piles of sloppy poo, but I want them to enjoy their food too!

2. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Member

I used to feed my two toy poodles Natures Menu tins beef and chicken and the chicken one as these did not contain rice also natures menu country hunter as the taller one in the photo Rusty was a very fussy eater. I sadly lost Rusty in May 2018 and then Pepe in November 2018 and am still heartbroken at having no dogs, I loved them so much. I may get two more toy poodles in the future and would definitely use Natures Menu again as it seems a very good food and suited them well.

3. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Butchers have recently revamped their range. All my dogs have done well on their original tripe recipe for years.
    They now do Simply Gentle which may be better for you, or perhaps Lean and Tasty.
    Worth a try. Very good budget food.

Becky951 likes this.
  4. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

I have a bunch of hounds and more too :)
    (2 fox terriers, two lurchers, a podenco and a borzoi)
    Only one if mine is sensitive, but even he does fine on the stuff I use!

I tend to rotate through different brands (buying in bulk, using discounts and getting what is on offer etc to make things more cost effective).
    Our staples are Butchers, Rocco and Lukullus, with Wainwrights (standard and grain free), Step Up (standard and grain free), Naturo tins, Fishmongers and Nature's Menu Country Hunter and Rinti fairly frequently too.

There are HEAPS of good quality wet foods out there to choose from :)

Becky951 likes this.
  5. Becky951

All three of mine have sensitive tums! The littlies have been fine on whatever we feed them which is currently Rooco, Animonda, wainwright's and Bozita. Before the hounds went on raw they were eating Lukullus and it just made them poop vast quantities of sloppy poo! I don't want to go back to that, but they are clearly not enjoying the raw and I've pereserved for a year now. I've tried Wainwright's, Nature's Menu and Naturdier before with the same result. I've had a quick look at the Butchers gentle range and not that great quality but I think I'll give it a go. Maybe the problem with them is the wets I had been feeding were too rich?

6. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

Mine tend to do better on varieties with veg/whatever included rather than meat only flavours (so Rocco menu or world tour over the standard stuff).
    Unfortunately, finding the right food is just a case of trial and error ha!

If you've not already and your dogs are ok with fish, I'd highly recommend Fishmongers Finest - good quality, not massively expensive and very very gentle on the tum :)
    (Similar ones would possibly be Wainwrights salmon & potato, Fish4Dogs, and the fishy Akela and Millie's Wolfheart tins)

Becky951 likes this.
  7. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

Just a thought too, is it possible you were overfeeding?
    Large amounts of sloppy/toothpastey sort of poo isn't uncommon if they are taking in too much for their tummies to cope with at a time. If you're feeding them the Lukullus or whatever now and they are otherwise fine and happy on it, might be worth cutting them back a little before swapping again, just to see if it makes a difference!

Becky951 likes this.
  8. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Ooh, good timing. I've been umming and erring about asking similar for a week or so now. I've not changed my way of feeding or anything, just now in a position where I can buy more common 400g packs rather than needing smaller ones (withwith restricted options). So thanks!

9. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Oh, re. wet causing sloppy poos, look at organ content. In a lot of foods the amount of organ Vs muscle isn't declared, just what species the protein is from. S the amounts can vary but they're often high (as cheap). If you try brands which are more transparent with labelling and look for those low in organ content, it could help with poo on wet food.

On the other hand, I do know some dogs are sensitive to proteins when cooked which they're fine with raw and vice versa. That's more complicated though, so I'd rule out the other angles first :)

10. Becky951

I didn't think I was overfeeding as they were all good weights, but the poo you describe is pretty much spot on!

Bithe the lurchers are 21 kg and the Ibizan is 24kg, fed twice daily. How much should they be eating then do you think?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice