Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wet Food for Very Sensitive Cat on his last Legs

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by steadydriver, Jun 7, 2018.

1. steadydriver

steadydriver PetForums Newbie

Hi

My poor little Harvey who has had a long running health issue (for the past 5 years since he came to us as a stray, the vet thinks he's about 10) with mucus infections and a very sensitive stomach is on his last legs he's lost about 30% of his weight since Xmas and after lots of trips to the vets he's now on both antibiotics (as he has been for a long time) and steroids.

The problem he has is keeping food down, the only thing that seems to be part working is organic baby food and Gourment Gold Pate as he can lick it.

Therefore I'm pretty certain as is the vet that he doesn't have long, but at the moment he's happy, likes a stroke, his gums rubbed and is very aware of his environment so we are happy for every day we get.

What i'm after is any tips on any food which he will keep down, that's light like a pate or baby food and that just maybe could help him put some weight on.

Any Ideas Welcome

Thanks

James

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Meowing Heads pate is very soft and can be bought from pet shops.

It is good quality so hopefully it might help him.

3. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Almo Nature has a very soft mousse in tins that is a complete food.

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi James, sorry to hear about poor Harvey, bless him.

When I have had chronically ill older cats in the past I've found the best way to get a bit of weight on them is to feed them home cooked meat as one of their meals a day. Chicken drumsticks or turkey drumsticks are two meats that are often well tolerated. I cook them in a roasting pan with about an inch of water added, and covered with baking foil. One hour at gas mark 5 for chicken drumsticks or chunks of turkey thigh. Serve without any of the bone and add plenty of the nutritious cooking stock. I chop the cooked meat into small pieces, almost like mince, as it stops them gulping it down rapidly and then regurgitating it.

Poached white fish is something I currently feed to my two 8 yr old cats who have IBD when either has a flare-up. It is often the only thing they can keep down, and it is very soothing to the tummy and bowel. Bags of frozen white fish (e.g pollock or whiting) can be bought from Tesco etc.

As far as cat food goes, I recommend foods that are grain free, quite low in fat but high in protein. The Animonda Vom Feinsten wet foods for Neutered cats are generally well tolerated, particularly the plain turkey flavour. Both my cats with IBD do well on them.

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/canned_cat_food_pouches/animonda/trays/14008

5. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

If you would like to try the Animonda Vom feinsten for neutered cats that chillminx has mentioned, please let me know. I have Turkey and Cheese, Turkey and Trout and Turkey and Salmon left (sorry no plain turkey). They’re a coarse pate like texture and I would be happy to send Harvey a few samples. Joey isn’t fond of the texture style unfortunately, though I do keep trying!

moggie14 likes this.
  6. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Also Applaws pate is complete as well, and can be found in pet shops. That is a soft pate too.

7. OliviaTheMoose

OliviaTheMoose PetForums Junior

Natures menu pouches are pate. They may be a little rich but they are grain free. Animonda carny is a rough pate but the kitten version has a baby pate which is smooth.

8. Forester

Forester trained by Dylan

Why not just add a little water to his favourite food, then blend it.

9. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Make him some nice bone broth. put some chicken thighs (bone and skin in) in a pan of water and cook for a few hours. You can remove the meat when it starts falling off the bones, but keep the bones going for a few more hours. Add a little (raw organic) apple cider vinegar to help get all the goodness out of the bones. When the bones are soft, let it cool a bit and strain it. Freeze some individual sized portions in ice cube trays, and the rest put it back with the meat and run it through the blender or food processor until it is the consistency he likes. That can be frozen in ice cube trays too.

10. steadydriver

Hi Thanks all for the great ideas, I've put an order into ZooPlus for the foods recommended here, plus I'm going to get some chicken and try to make a broth. I really do appreciate all the help. James

Forester and lorilu like this.
  11. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

@steadydriver my oldies always loved home made chicken broth though I never add the apple cider vinegar mentioned as I worry cats won’t like that taste. Mine also enjoyed the Gourmet gold pate that you mention.
    I hope your Harvey rallies and is with you for some time still.

12. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

You could try it once. If they won't eat it, you can have it for yourself :). Honestly, you really don't taste the vinegar in the broth, it's a small amount, and it really does help get the minerals into the broth. Just a couple tablespoons per gallon of water. My cats seem to actually like vinegar added to their food.

I use Bragg brand, raw organic, with the mother. I've tried other brands (when the store stopped carrying Bragg for a while) but I always go back to Bragg.

Another good thing to add to bone broth is chicken feet. So I've read countless times. I can't get them around here so I've never been able to try it.

Paddypaws likes this.
  13. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Liquivite. I swear by this stuff and use it for kittens, adults and elderly cats alike. It basically a soup for cats, which is complete. My sister's cat who is now 12 had been given a real boost by liquivite and looks a totally different cat. He has put on weight, his eyes sparkle and his coat is soft and healthy.

lorilu likes this.
  14. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

For anyone interested. :)

Main page:

https://www.liquivite.co.uk/

Scroll down on this one for the ingredients and all that important stuff:

https://www.liquivite.co.uk/about-liquivite

15. steadydriver

Hi

I'm very keen to try liquivite, do you know if it's OK for a cat who has had digestion problems and I would guess some food allergy?

16. Puddy2shoes

Puddy2shoes PetForums Member

Hi steadydriver, so sorry to hear whats going on, i cared for a insulin dependant diabetic cat for several years who lived till over 20 yrs of age, she had very few teeth and I had to be selective re her food because of the diabetes, i knew what foods she enjoyed eating but she didn’t like most of the mousses and other soft foods available so I bought a mini blender and blended what she liked with xtra water, I still use it for other cats and have a spare one in reserve also be aware of parsley, chicory and dandelion in cat food, these are known diuretics and will cause dehydration, my diabetic cat lost a lot of rest having to keep getting up to pee and drink before I realised it was these herbs that were causing this problem for her and not her diabetes being out of control.

Summercat and lorilu like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice