Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wet food for IBD

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Etienne, Oct 13, 2021 at 3:16 PM.

1. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss Puss and Shadow

Hi, at present we have been buying Hills Z/D for our girl dog that has IBD. We can not buy anymore of this product anywhere. The only place that has it is on Amazon and they want to charge twice as much. I have seen Royal Canin Hypoallergenic Wet but not sure if this is similar to Hills Z/D. Is there anyone else who's dog has IBD that uses this product or any similar one?
    We have her problem under control but are worried about giving her the wrong food which could make it return.
    Any advice please
    Thank you

2. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

My pup has IBD he is fed Purina HA dry and wet I can get the dry from Amazon or P@H but I had trouble sourcing the wet,after searching for hours I found a company called "My Family Vets" stock it .Delivery is really quick,just had a look at the website and they have the Hills Z/D stocked:)

lullabydream, Etienne and rona like this.
  3. Pricivius

Pricivius PetForums Member

I have scoured the Internet for wet z/d and always managed to find it somewhere, but it does take some tracking down. And never Amazon as that is silly. Purina proplan do a hydrolysed in wet and dry, so that may be worth a try - also can be tricky to find the wet.

lullabydream and Etienne like this.
  4. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

The Purina wet is hard to track down it took many hours on the internet to find it for my boy,I tried to buy it direct from Purina but was told I couldn't buy from them.Thank goodness I found "My family vets" who do sell it.I scoured the internet earlier looking for the Hills Z/D everywhere I looked it was out of stock apart from "my family vets":)
    My pup will eat anything he is given so he wolfs down the Purina HA,but if you have a dog who is a little fussy they probably wouldn't eat it it is white in colour and the main ingredients are Soya,Maize and Coconut oil it doesn't even smell of anything:)

5. Etienne

Thank you for both replies.
    Unfortunately My Family Vets are out of stock as well. I did speak to a lady vet from Purina who was very helpful and knew a lot about IBD as her dog has it as well. Their Pro Plan Hypoallergy HA dry is widely available but their wet is not as yet. She did say it can be ordered direct from them.
    Has anyone tried Royal Canin Hypoallergy?

6. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

When I phoned Purina they told me they couldn't sell it directly to me:(
    I can't believe it when I replied to this thread this morning the Hills Z/D was in stock at "My Family Vets" but they do Have the Purina Ha in stock

Etienne and lullabydream like this.
  7. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

When my boy was diagnosed the vet said they stocked the Royal Canin and Hills,I could of bought one of these brands from them but the vets said she had seen better results from the Purina HA,the cheapest place to buy the dry is P@H or Amazon they both sell 11kg for £49.95:)
    Within 3 days of eating this food my boy had firm stools and it was the quickest and easiest transition I had ever done with Ronnie:)

Etienne, lullabydream and rona like this.
  8. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Brilliant I see so many threads where people are looking for an alternative for prescription food. I fed Burns myself for a liver problem. However I have always said prescription foods have their place.

Am sad to have missed Ronnie's problems; to offer support at the time. However its quite nice to see him come round the other side and glad he's doing well!

Etienne and niamh123 like this.
  9. lullabydream

Ooops @Etienne I meant to say am sorry you can't source the food, definitely seems to be a manufacturing problem.

Am guessing you can't buy kibble, and soak it?

Etienne likes this.
  10. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

If someone had told me this time last year that I would be feeding Ron a Soya diet I would of bet my life that no way would he be fed on a food which is Maize,soya ,coconut oil and a small amount of fish oil.Purina HA has allowed my boy to have regular stools and be pain free:)

11. lullabydream

It's awful the pain moments isn't it
    Honestly, as is always said here and I agree whole heartedly there is no best food, it's the best food for your dog that matters.

I have always said I can't say I wouldn't feed anything. As something what people think is terrible might be a lifesaver

niamh123, Mum2Heidi and Etienne like this.
  12. Etienne

What we try to give Dilly is Hill Z/D wet in the morning, Hills dry with warm water midday and Arden Grange ocean fish in the evening. Other varieties of Arden Grange is not good with IBD, I was told from AG.

lullabydream likes this.
  13. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I had tried the Arden Grange sensitive fish and potato for Ron but it didn't suit him at all:)
    As you can't get the Hills wet at the moment have you tried putting your dogs dry in a Blender/coffee grinder until smooth and adding water to it to make like a paste:)

lullabydream, Etienne and rona like this.
  14. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I don't know the details of Dilly's age, weight etc. to know whether it would balance out okay, but given the wet food is only being a component of the diet rather than 100% wet food, it would be worth checking out whether the Z/D cat wet would be appropriate. Cad was on Z/D in the spring for his exclusion diet prior to allergy testing, and my vet and I looked into the nutritional details and decided that in combo with the dry would be fine. I did that because the single-size tins wouldn't be very workable for 5.5Kg of dog only having some a day, but it's also looking like currently (from a quick google) the cat ones aren't currently facing a stocking issue.

Etienne and lullabydream like this.
  15. lullabydream

Stan can't tolerate arden Grange sensitive at all, better on the lamb but I tend to feed grain free to the minibeasts and Maisie has Arden Grange. Rice suits her best in food as she keeps weight on better. No idea why.

Etienne likes this.
  16. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

As you are feeding Arden Grange sensitive dry would he perhaps be okay on the Arden Grange Sensitive wet until you can get the Hills wet:)

17. Etienne

We have plenty of Hills dry Z/D at present we could use.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice