Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wet Dog food

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Gav/Marley, Jul 18, 2017.

1. Gav/Marley

Gav/Marley PetForums Newbie

Can I have suggestions please for wet dog food, Pets@Home has stopped stocking a food I got for my pooch. He prefers jelly based, all I have seen seem rather expensive, including Lilys Kitchen and Forthgade. Hes a small dog, 10-11kg, but he gets plenty of exercise. Thankyou.

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

What price do you want to pay? What was you feeding before?

I find forthglade reasonable so it's really knowing the price you would like to pay...

Some of the higher priced foods, might have a smaller recommend feeding amount, so can be more cost effective.

The cheapest would be to look at Butchers tripe loaf mix at supermarkets.

3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I feed my lurcher 50% Butchers Simply Gentle. 24 cans £14.49. 2 packs for £23.

lullabydream likes this.
  4. cavy

cavy PetForums Newbie

I feed my 8.5kg dog a James Wellbeloved pouch split over his dry food twice a day, my 35kg dog gets a can of Butchers Tripe in Jelly split over his dry food twice a day. They like this as much as the Burns and Applaws wet I was using at twice the price!

5. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Mine get Butchers as mixer......cheap and cheerful and they love it.

6. Gav/Marley

I am currently buying for his small meal, applaws with jelly tubs. Small tubs which are about 90g, which is ideal for his small meal, but they are £10 for 6! I dont want to pay that if I can help it, as I think that is extreme, but I dont want to feed him trash, as his main meal is cooked and prep by myself, which includes, brown rice, veg, royal canin kibble, cooked meat.

7. cavy

cavy PetForums Newbie

Applaws make Encore dog pouches and tins for supermarkets, about £6 for 5 pouches if I remember correctly, just as good as applaws if your dog is happy on that. I couldn't afford to use it for my large dog but the wee one lapped it up.

8. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Encore is identical to Applaws...

Just Applaws is for the pet retail trade
    Encore is for the retail trade.

9. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Forthglade can be bought cheaper if you shop around, I've bought it for 85 pence a tray. Have a look in Wilkos or Morrisons.

paulareno likes this.
  10. Gav/Marley

Ive looked at Forthglade, it looks like mush in the tray?

11. paulareno

paulareno PetForums Member

cheaper doesnt mean good... thats how brand like pedigree are still in a market because of the price...

check this website that will help you find good balance between nutritions and price https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/the-dog-food-directory

we have spend ages before deciding on our wet food and Forthglade was a winner :D

12. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

Cheaper doesn't mean bad either.

13. Claire Diss

Claire Diss PetForums Member

Forthglade is just mush it's awful my dog has had it and refuses it. We feed her Asda heros wet food as a topper with James Wellbeloved and she loves it. I am looking at guru pet food at the mo mind anyone else tried that

14. paulareno

Asda dog food contains "Meat and Animal Derivatives"

please read a bit more about ingredients in dog food. may owners are really not aware what "derivatives" are and how to read pet food labels.

https://www.allaboutdogfood.co.uk/dog-food-ingredients/0006/meat-and-animal-derivatives

you can imagine if your diet was only "tesco own brand". you will survive - but doesn't mean you will get all nutrition's you need to thrive ;)

ps. our second choice after Forthgolade was Natures Diet if you need recommendation - that came high up in rankings and l was surprised to see it in Wilkos for 60p a tray! :Greedy

Good % of real meat and no grain as well!

#14 paulareno, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  15. Claire Diss

I asked my vet about it she said as a topper was fine. My other dog lived off Asda hero wet food til the day she died and she was 16 year old Westie! All these things about dog food now is disgusting people trying to frighten dog owners into buying other stuff. We have tried all sorts of food and she has found something that she likes and is eating it. All the higher branded stuff that costs a bomb isn't any better and 1 of the main higher brands actually make my dog ill!!

16. paulareno

All these things about dog food now is disgusting people trying to frighten dog owners into buying other stuff.

OR people themselves are more educated about nutritious and having a closer look at the labels ;) for many years we were brainwashed by TV thinking that whatever is on a box - is the gold.

people doing a lot of research these days on dogs health and what food is beneficial for them. cannot ignore it really.

my old poodle lived till he was 17 in my family house when l was a kid - and we gave him all sort of crap incl chocolate! imagine! :Facepalm

lm older and wiser now :Pompus but you are right - if something is making your pupp ill = ignore and move on to next one.

our breeder was feeding puppies raw only = cant stomach that. but millions of people would get their hands chop off to guarantee how good is that for dogs. when we moved her on food she was now - she was fussy for day or two and then stick to it:Smuggrin

#16 paulareno, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
  17. Claire Diss

We tried raw my dog refused it. But I didn't like the idea of that anyways. I am a big believer in my dog knows what it wants. She is well loved and in good health. Her main food is James Wellbeloved kibble with Asda wet as a topper

Muttly likes this.
  18. Muttly

Dog food legally has to meet the basic nutritional needs of a dog.
    My dog can't handle a high meat diet, so he actually needs fillers to stop his tummy being empty too quickly. He was on a raw diet for several months before.
    The food he is on now has totally changed him and he is in the best condition he's ever been. His food contains some fish and meat derivatives and cereals to keep him full.
    He also has dried tripe and fish skins for his breakfast. (I feed him his wet food as his evening meal only).

NatureDiet I think it is, the complete meals have a lot of whole veg in, which dogs can't process, so the poo it out the same as they go in. What a waste. I would get the meat and add mushed up veg so they can absorb the nutrients in the veg.

Listen to what your dog is telling you, they are as different as you and me.

Mum2Heidi and Claire Diss like this.
  19. paulareno

about the fish skins - does it makes his breath smelly? l know its good for coat and all, omega 3 oils ans what not.
    our pupp got some dry fish treat from a friend while we were out (her dogs love it as well) and her mouth was smelly for 4 days after :Stinkyfeet whats your experience?

20. Muttly

Me?
    No it hasn't made his breath smelly. He has the Fish4Dogs ones.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice