Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Wet dog food storage

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Rileytheman, Feb 17, 2021.

1. Rileytheman

Rileytheman PetForums Newbie

Hello all. I have a nearly 12 yr old mix lab x wippet X collie (more lab and collie) who has for the last month been showing signs of blood in his stool. It's fresh as it's bright and it's only surface not mixed in. Yes I have had a good look unfortunately I have taken him to the vets and she used a finger to see if anything obvious but nope and next step would be a camera his stool is normal colour, normal consistency, his behaviour and attitude is the same, eats normal etc been wormed recently too. The vet recommended me to change is diet to see if that helps.

He has been on step up to nature dry dog biscuits (200g a day) with 50g of pedigree/winalot meat pouches and a 500mg of krill oil capsule with a stalk of broccoli up untill a few weeks before Xmas and we had to buy any biscuits as we couldn't get hold of his normal so we mixed them together. A week after Xmas I was doing research on arthritis (he has arthritis in his front knees) and decided to change his diet again slightly to help. (This was before the blood).

So this is his diet now! 200g of step up the nature biscuits (not mixed with others) 50g of pedigree/winalot pouch, a bit of sweet potato, carrot, under half a teaspoon of turmeric powder, under half a teaspoon of coconut oil and a stalk of broccoli and 500mg of krill oil capsule.

No change in his stool. So for a few days I've stopped his krill oil and now I'm thinking about changing his meat to symply. Only problem is the packets come in just under 400g of meat and my dog has 50g a day. That's 7 days roughly of meat. Does anyone know if and how I can store it for that long to keep it fresh and not gone off??

2. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Can you portion it and freeze it?

3. Rileytheman

Could do, never thought of freezing it to be honest as it's already made if you know what I mean. Thank you

4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I buy 400g cans butchers Tripe. Roughly divide into 3. Freeze 2 and use one.
    Have you considered step up wet food to go with the kibble?

5. Rileytheman

Hello, yes I have considered it but apparently step up still isn't one of the best so for now I wanted to try him on meat that was so he is on symply dog meat. Concerning part is just under a yr he weighed roughly 31kg, weighed him a few days ago and he came in at 27.5. it's good he has lost weight as he should only be 26-27 but I'm worried that he is going to keep on losing weight for no reason. Only difference in his activities is because I haven't been working due to this virus the last few months I have taken him everywhere with me in the car so he has been a wake more. Anyway, I've decided to feed in roughly an extra 50g of biscuits a day and 100g of meat. I just want to see if he can put weight on and keep it. I won't let him get to that size again.

Thanks for all your inputs!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice