UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have recently joined as a new member to this forum after reading lots of great posts which have helped me with my cat family!

I'd now love some assistance from you experts on my 16 week old Ragdoll kittens. For the past 3 weeks, they have had runny, VERY stinky poos. During this time, my vet has given them Hill's i/d wet and dry (which I don't like but them seem to eat) and several types of probiotic powders to try and dry things up. Nothing worked. Yesterday their faecal results came back and they have been diagnosed with Clostridium Perfringens and will be taking metronidazole (Flagyl) for 1 week. Thankfully after giving them each 0.5ml last night and this morning, their poos have a much better consistency, so the medicine appears to be working!

My question is this: Once they have completed their course of metronidazole, what wet and dry food can I feed them? I have read several articles about long-term treatment/maintenance of this disease and the recommendation is that cats should be fed high-fibre diets and diets formulated with prebiotic and probiotic ingredients (like lactobacillus). This is to help reduce Clostridium perfringens and enterotoxin production in the intestinal tract and to help balance and maintain the intestinal flora.

If anyone has experience of this disease or simply some suggestions on high quality foods that fit the above criteria, I would be very grateful to hear from you. I had intended on feeding them Sanabelle kitten and Orijen dry / Bozita, Bozita Hair and Skin Sensitive and Grau grain-free....now I'm not so sure.

Thanks ever so much,
Dawn x

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
That is a bacterial infection right? So, why not just feed high quality foods (as I think you have been asking about in other threads) once it has cleared? If you feel that they would benefit from probiotics to keep the gut flora balanced, why not use the pro-texin enterogenic powders? I add about 0.5g or less daily to the food for my cat that has gut problems.

I personally would give the ones (apart from Grau) you mentioned (Sanabelle, Bozita hair) a miss. And I most certainly would also give dry a miss and soley feed wet/raw.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is a bacterial infection right? So, why not just feed high quality foods (as I think you have been asking about in other threads) once it has cleared? If you feel that they would benefit from probiotics to keep the gut flora balanced, why not use the pro-texin enterogenic powders? I add about 0.5g or less daily to the food for my cat that has gut problems.

I personally would give the ones (apart from Grau) you mentioned (Sanabelle, Bozita hair) a miss. And I most certainly would also give dry a miss and soley feed wet/raw.
Good morning Hobbs, thanks for the reply. I was told CP is a normal flora that occurs in both dogs and cats, however my 2 kittens have somehow created too much in their intestines, hence the diarrhoea.

They were given that probiotic powder by the vet to initially try and dry up their stools. I've been continuing to add it daily whilst they're also taking the metronidazole prescription. Would you recommend continuing with the Protexin even after the course of metronidazole has finished? Is this something I can purchase online - my vet charged me £17 for 5 small packets.

Regarding the dry food, I'd like to leave out a little something during the day when I'm not here to provide them with a wet meal. Is Orijen and Sanabelle kitten a reasonable choice? I know very little about the dry offerings here (I'm from the US originally and was spoilt for choice...) They were being fed Sanabelle by the breeder, so I was including that for now and also wanted to include Orijen as I know that's a quality food.

Many thanks again - you're fab :)

·
Registered
10,685 Posts
Good morning Hobbs, thanks for the reply. I was told CP is a normal flora that occurs in both dogs and cats, however my 2 kittens have somehow created too much in their intestines, hence the diarrhoea.

They were given that probiotic powder by the vet to initially try and dry up their stools. I've been continuing to add it daily whilst they're also taking the metronidazole prescription. Would you recommend continuing with the Protexin even after the course of metronidazole has finished? Is this something I can purchase online - my vet charged me £17 for 5 small packets.

Regarding the dry food, I'd like to leave out a little something during the day when I'm not here to provide them with a wet meal. Is Orijen and Sanabelle kitten a reasonable choice? I know very little about the dry offerings here (I'm from the US originally and was spoilt for choice...) They were being fed Sanabelle by the breeder, so I was including that for now and also wanted to include Orijen as I know that's a quality food.

Many thanks again - you're fab :)
Good morning to you too! I don't think there is any harm in offering them the protexin enterogenic powders on a long-term basis. I believe it was formulated to be used for the long-term management of gastro-intestinal problems. However, I think there is little guidance in terms of how much to give cats. If you go by weight alone (as per guidelines on the box/sachets) you would need to give what appears to be a massive amount of the powders. So, I have played around with it and 0.5g or less (you will need some digital micro scales) suits my boy as a maintenance dose. If he has a set-back then I up to 0.75 to 1 g for a couple of days. So, do play around with dosage.

Yes, you can buy it much more cheaply online. I get a box of 60 sachets here: Protexin Pro Kolin Enterogenic 4g Sachets - Pack 60 - Animed Direct and here Protexin ProKolin Enterogenic Powder - From £24.91

IF I had to feed dry food I would go for orijen. But you are also feeding wet, right? I personally don't subscribe to this belief that because you have kittens and you work you have tove feed dry because they need access to food while you are out and dry is the most convenient. You could feed them in the morning - perhaps even twice before you go, and you could feed them a couple or so meals when you get back (we did that when we last had a kitten). Or you could invest in an automatic/timed feeder.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Excellent, thank you again!! (Oh and as a side note, I've also joined the large group of you who have emailed Zooplus requesting they start supplying those wonderful German wet foods - have yet to receive a reply, but here's hoping...) :)

Enjoy your Sunday x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.