UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my 16 month westie never asks to go outside if the back door is shut. She will just quietly do her business on conservatory floor! She still can't go all night dry, and does at least 4 poos and 10-12 wees in a 24 hour period - usually every 2-3 hours, so can't be crated all night. Help please, we can't always leave door open and she will do this even when we are sitting in living room attached to conservatory! And yes whenever we catch her she gets scolded - she knows its wrong and will race outside!

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Hello my 16 month westie never asks to go outside if the back door is shut. She will just quietly do her business on conservatory floor! She still can't go all night dry, and does at least 4 poos and 10-12 wees in a 24 hour period - usually every 2-3 hours, so can't be crated all night. Help please, we can't always leave door open and she will do this even when we are sitting in living room attached to conservatory! And yes whenever we catch her she gets scolded - she knows its wrong and will race outside!
If I remember correctly anything between 1/5 motions a day is pretty normal so thats probably not that excessive, peeing that many times and not being able to hold it for more then 2/3 hours and through the night does seem a little excessive though at 16mths from what I can remember of mine at that age anyway. Is she at her water bowl a lot too. If you havent already might be worth popping her to the vet and taking a urine sample. If they have a urinary tract infection, they usually pee more in frequency and quantity, and a simple course of antibiotics usually sorts it out, if a UTI is left long term though infection can go further up the tract and cause further problems.

Another problem that may also not be helping is scolding her for accidents, it can make them nervous about going in front of you and more likely not to tell you or just sneak off and do it, dogs who are scolded for toileting accidents especially when younger can often do this. So that could be part of the problem as well.
Also if you toilet trained her when younger or at first to go in the conservatory, then it could be habit because she thinks its acceptable, or if she was put in their in the early days and peed in there.

If a vet check an urine sample does prove to be clear, I would go back to absolute basics, taking her out every 30/45 minutes and staying out for a few minutes, if she starts to go use a word of choice, used every time she starts she will associate the word with toileting so once associated and learned you can use it as a toilet cue command. When she has finished lots of praise and treats to re-enforce its the correct place and that she has got it right. With mine as pups I used to pop them out at night at first when they couldnt go through as young pups when they woke or stirred as they were within sight and sound of me. If she isnt you could try setting and alarm a couple of times and pop her out, No bright lights on, no interaction as that will stimulate her wide awake, just out, toilet couple of good girls if she does anything a treat and back to bed.

By going back to basics and retraining from scratch, she should get better, unless of course she does have a urinary tract infection or problem. She should at 16mths be able to hold herslef longer then she is and not peeing so frequently, within a few weeks much younger then her, mines need to go especially through the night got less and less until they were going right through and also as they grew and with it the capacity to hold more and for longer, they started to need to go a lot lot less in the day as well. You need to also take her out after drinking, eating, playing and sleeping too as they usually need to go then especially.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Also forgot to mention you need to throughly clean the area with a special pet stain/odour remover where she has accidents and is peeing, as any smells left can encourage reapeats in the same places too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.