Westie Puppy Coat

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Jack Dodge Stevens, Feb 7, 2018.

1. Jack Dodge Stevens

Jack Dodge Stevens PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone i’ve joined the forum to get some advice with my new westie puppy.

My boy Bonzo is 12 weeks on Monday and is having his injections on that day. However, I was just wondering if the coat on my westie was normal? Lots of other westies seem more fluffy, and the face is definitely more fluffy & not very wired.

Is this the normal coat for a westie puppy? And if not, if I got him clipped would he loose the wired look? I’ve read that if I get him clipped he’ll have a coat like a lot of other westies.

Attached Files:

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

His coat is normal and looks correct for his age.

You would not expect a pup to be in adult coat. He will soon cast his puppy coat and then his adult one will grow in.

Do not have him clipped. It could ruin his coat.

Allow nature to take it's course and his adult coat will grow in as it should.

Jack Dodge Stevens likes this.
  3. Jack Dodge Stevens

Jack Dodge Stevens PetForums Newbie

Thank you, just me being paranoid lol, will it ruin his coat if he’s a lot older?

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Well, if you intend to have him clipped regularly, then it won't matter.

Westies are traditionally clipped very close on the body, with the legs just scissored and the face trimmed into a 'chrysanthemum' shape.

If you want him in natural coat, yes, clipping could spoil it.

5. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Awww he’s gorgeous :)

We have 4 Westie’s (2 are mine, 2 are my mother in laws) and they all have different coats, ranging from thin, to thick, straight to a slight curl. Most people presume all Westie’s look the same .... they don’t!

It’s important to introduce your Westie to regular grooming. So either yourself at home, or visiting a groomers. Initially they will just do puppy sessions which is just a bath, then bath and feet tidy, then bath and scissor cut.

If you want a show Westie then hand stripping is the way to groom.

But most pet Westie’s are just clippered. Mainly because it’s way cheaper at a groomers (we pay £35 per dog every 8 weeks) hand stripping would cost double that .... if you can ever find a groomer that does hand stripping. Most don’t.