UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Westie lung disease

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Blitz 
#1 ·
Hi all

I would be grateful if anyone could give me any information or guidance on Westie Lung Disease. My poor boy who is 13 years old has been diagnosed today and I am devastated and heart broken.
He shows no symptoms only breathing differently. His chest X-ray today was not good and I would say 90% of his lungs are filled.
I feel I have let him down by not being able to pick this up sooner, and can’t bare the thought of him not being at my side.
Any help would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I'm sorry your poor boy has been diagnosed :(

This might be of some help to you, as I can't recall anyone here having gone through it http://www.westielungdisease.co.uk/

If you search on Facebook aswell there are a few Westie groups on there who have a wealth of knowledge and as it's not uncommon in Westies, sadly, I'm sure you'll find someone that's been through it that can offer some advice.

Has your vet started him on steroids/inhaler ?

#3 ·
Hi
Thank you for replying, the vet has started him on steroids today. But no mention of an inhaler.
I am going to book another appointment tomorrow as it was all to much to take in and I have so many questions now I have been home.

Thanks for the thread

Xx

#5 ·
Hi
Thank you for replying, the vet has started him on steroids today. But no mention of an inhaler.
I am going to book another appointment tomorrow as it was all to much to take in and I have so many questions now I have been home.

Thanks for the thread

Xx
From the bits I've come across about WLD most vets recommend steroids but there is also an inhaler available so the treatment gets straight to the lungs without the side effects steroids can cause to some. Always worth a mention to your vet.

I think another appointment with your vet is wise, i can only imagine how difficult it is to get the news so can well imagine your brain can't take it all in. I'd maybe book for a couple of days time though. See if you can join a few of the Facebook groups and they should be able to help you with a list of questions to ask the vet.

I always find if you go in fully prepared, you'll come away feeling a lot more informed x

#4 ·

I don't have any personal experience & indeed, this is the 1st I've heard of it, but here is a good web page with 2 medical links embedded, plus several videos of the author's own dogs - she lost 2 to the same disease:

http://www.westielungdisease.co.uk/info/

I am sorry to hear of his diagnosis, & I can empathize with him - I told multiple Drs that I could not EXHALE, & none listened; that began in 2003. // Finally, this spring, in a chest-rad to check for a possible infectious illness (I had 3 clients then, all 3 with respiratory compromises), they said I have "mild scarring ".
If this is mild, I don't want to know what moderate & severe scarring feel like, but I do think I will find out, whether or no I want to... my eejit sire exposed me to asbestos several times, B4 I was 10-YO. :meh:

I hope steroid therapy slows the progression for Ur Westie.
- terry

#7 · (Edited)
I also am exceptionally sorry for the diagnosis of Westie Lung Disease.The links mentioned above are helpful. The situation re Austin and Harry with Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis(The term used in the United States) gives information that might be useful to know. And leads on to the Westie Foundation of America.At one Time I had all the links as I was convinced that Brucie had WLD. My Vet diagnosed Partial Trachea collapse not WLD. You have certainly not let Him down-these horrible conditions seem to arise almost out of the Blue. Research is being done but I think that at the Moment the cause is still unknown? tho' genetics may play a large part.In Our situation (after anti inflammatories,steroids and antibiotics from the Vet) is that I have found that there are a considerable number of Holistic or Herbal remedies that really help with the symptoms - OK not a cure-.I hope that You will be helped by Your Vet but if the conventional route is not helping Holistic remedies hopefully will.All the very best from Me in Scotland.

#11 ·
Hi all

I would be grateful if anyone could give me any information or guidance on Westie Lung Disease. My poor boy who is 13 years old has been diagnosed today and I am devastated and heart broken.
He shows no symptoms only breathing differently. His chest X-ray today was not good and I would say 90% of his lungs are filled.
I feel I have let him down by not being able to pick this up sooner, and can't bare the thought of him not being at my side.
Any help would be appreciated.
I'm sorry I've only just see this not sure how I missed it, Dillon has the same problem so we are on the second medication to see how he goes, it such a worry when they are ill, the vet thinks it was the hot weather that could have started it.

#12 ·
Lacie was diagnosed May 20, 2021 with IPF. She is currently on Prednisone, Terbutaline and Hydrocodone. She is also having laser therapy. I thought she was doing much better, but this morning, not so good. I'd like to hear from anyone else whose dog is having laser therapy and if treatment is helping. Also, the late stages of this disease and what to expect.

#13 ·
I have one with a different condition but similar symptoms. Hers is more like COPD. She had steroids initially but she reacts quite badly to them. She has been on a steroid inhaler for a few years, and doing well . If she misses a dose I soon know as she starts coughing and her respiration rate shoots up. She is 12 now and still fairly active.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.