Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Westie dry skin patch

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by MrMrMr, Sep 6, 2013.

1. MrMrMr

MrMrMr PetForums Junior

We have a Westie, 2 years old. She's in good condition. However I've noticed a dry skin patch on her back about 1/2" diameter. We've never had Westie before, but understand and have heard that they do suffer from dry skin condtions.

What should we do? What treatment? Is it a vet appointment or should we try some over the counter treatment 1st from pets at home for example? Any recommendations on treatment?

Cheers

2. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Hi - what do you feed her? :)

3. MrMrMr

MrMrMr PetForums Junior

Wainwrights wet trays and biscuits

4. danielled

danielled Guest

Westies are prone to skin issues. I've been lucky with my westie only ever had one problem with his skin, we used antibiotic cream it cleared it up.

5. MrMrMr

MrMrMr PetForums Junior

From a vets or over the counter like pets at home?

6. Donut76

Donut76 PetForums VIP

HI my dog isnt a westie BUT she had a dry patch on her face (may have been from whatever happened to break her leg as well) that was quite flaky & raised

We used Hydrocortisone for 3days then sudocreme for a week then hydrocortisone then sudocreme (get the idea) took about 6-8 weeks but a few days we did keep forgetting to use it lol so i would try that first so long as it isnt actually split & bleeding

7. MrMrMr

MrMrMr PetForums Junior

Was at Pets at home and bought some ExmaRid ointment for dry skin. Anyone use it before? Says its for dry skin and to rub on.

There was also some ExmaRid stuff that you put in their food, didnt buy but maybe something to look at?

Thanks

8. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I would take her to the vets rather than attempting to use any of the over the counter remedies - they are useless unless you know exactly what you are dealing with. Adding some supplement oils into her diet is a good idea - salmon and coconut oils are good for skin health - but it should be done as well as a visit to the vets, not instead of.

Good luck, let us know how she gets on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice