Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Westie diet for atopy sufferer

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by MRogers, Oct 15, 2013.

1. MRogers

MRogers PetForums Newbie

My poor poor Westie is 18 months old and is currently on a course of desensitising injections as he is allergic to almost everything! However, it's not doing much good and today he's been put on some other atopy tablets to stop his constant itching and scratching.

I'm trying to steer clear of chemicals, so am stopping Advocate and using a natural herb flea treatment.

But I'd also like to change him to a chemical free diet and am unsure as to what food would be best. He's already on a hypo allergenic salmon and potato diet but I still think he needs to be on something 'better'. Can anyone recommend a natural, chemical, hypo-allergenic food please??

Thank you

2. danielled

danielled Guest

What brand are you feeding him?

3. MRogers

MRogers PetForums Newbie

I'm currently feeding him Super Premium Salmon and Potato that I buy from the vets.... x

4. danielled

danielled Guest

Have a look at the dr dogfood index and wet dog food index in this section. They helped me so might help you.

5. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

My Westie did great on wainwright a wet trays , now being fed raw diet :)

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Is he allergic to environmental factors too do you know? If he is biolife do a range of products to reduce environmental allergens and a range of natural skin care for dogs that can perhaps help. Details on links below.

http://biolife-international.co.uk/...sources/Nature-of-Skin-Conditions-in-Dogs.pdf

http://biolife-international.co.uk/...ang/resources/Atopic-Dermatitis-or-Eczema.pdf

Skincare for Dogs - Bio-Life International Ltd

Another product that may be worth looking into is dermacton products comes in shampoo bar, spray and cream.

Dermacton - Skin Relief for Dogs with Itchy Skin

Efavet and viacutan plus are also vet strength skin supplements that improves skin and coat health and can help with skin problems caused by allergies. If you are claiming already on insurance and instigated by a vet you may be covered if not you can buy them on line cheaper usually. For info only as you can get them from various places.

Efavet 330 Efavet 660 EFA Capsules - From £24.36

Viacutan Plus Capsules 550mg EFA - From £10.18

7. MRogers

MRogers PetForums Newbie

Yes, he's allergic to some trees!! all types of mites, be it dust, etc. He's on anti allergen injections for these and I've tried him on different diets and different shampoos. I will definitely look at those sites you've recommended - thank you x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice