Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Westie back chewing and washing

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Peteeyres, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Peteeyres

Peteeyres PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I have a westie who is now 4months old. She is chewing the same spot on her back all the time, through inspection nothing major stands out, maybe slight area of skin colour change. What would people recommend? Also what shampoo for her skin and to keep her white? Please help.

2. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Westies, as a breed, can be very prone to skin problems and allergies.

I wouldn't be inclined to bath her, particularly if she doesn't need it.

It would be unusual for a pup to be persistently chewing at one spot, so I would let your Vet see her.

When you say her back, do you mean the base, near her tail?

If so, that could be fleas or a problem with her anal glands.

Peteeyres likes this.
  3. Peteeyres

No it is not by her tail it is mid back. I will get her to the vets. Best to be on the safer side. I have been struggling to find a puppy westie dry food though. Obviously there are the older westie specific foods but nothing for puppies.

4. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

You can put her on adult food now and it won't harm her at all.

She doesn't really need to be on puppy food.

Are you going for a grain free recipe?

Peteeyres likes this.
  5. Peteeyres

Grain free is ment to be the best option isn't it? Don't think the food is 100% grain free, Burns puppy mini chicken and rice we are using! I'm open to all suggestions and advice.

6. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Although Westie’s are very prone to skin issues, aka “Westie skin” it would be very early at 4 months and quite often down to breeding. I’d certainly get her Vet checked though incase it’s mites or mange.

Food wise I’d definitely get her on something with a decent meat content and grain free. Westie's generally do better with no grains. And chicken itself can cause problems. One of mine cannot have chicken. Same as any treats, avoid bakers/pedigree/general junk.

As for bathing, it’s really as little as possible and absolutely no whitening shampoo. Their skin can be sensitive enough without bleaching agents. Mine are bathed every 2 months when groomed but other than that they are just left muddy to dry and then brushed off (they come up remarkably clean afterwards) or for really bad mud rolling episodes, I’ll wash them off with just water.

Quistel products are highly recommended in the Westie community, the shampoo is very gentle and organic. They also do a spray that is great for hot spots/general skin soothing.

Peteeyres likes this.
  7. thatbullieboy

thatbullieboy PetForums Newbie

We have a white EBT, he's our 2nd EBT. They too are prone to lots of skin conditions (the dreaded white-dog thing). TBH we were unaware that Westies that suffered more with their skin until our Vet informed us. Our boy is 17mths and we've never bathed him: both the breeder and our Vet said no need to. He doesn't smell at all (biassed of course!). We wash his feet after every trip to the park tho' - in very diluted Johnsons Baby Bath! We figured if its good enough for babies skin, its probably OK for him (is at the mo).
    Have to say we have had some skin irritations/bit of hair thinning* with him - think his first case of Hives aged 7mths was the most shocking.....almost as much as the £134 out-of-hours-Emergency Vet Fee for a shot of......Piriton(!!!!). We then had our boy on Eukanuba Dermatosis FP (fish & potato) Kibble (pretty small, so might be OK for your pup and you could always put a bit of water with it to 'blow' it (soften)).
    OK for a while then after 3 visits Aug-Oct to the Vet they finally tested him and found he'd got a yeast infection in his ear. So we decided to try to deal with him from the inside out and change his diet. Our lad is probably prone to a bit of food intolerance - chicken and lamb fly out of him & other branded fish&potato kibble makes his ears sore and he looks really pink: we avoid grains too.
    We now feed him home cooked food (human quality lean minced beef, boil the fat away and add veg & rice, salmon/hempseed oils, multi vits, probiotics, calcium, kefir) and he seems to be doing very well on it, really good skin/coat*, good weight, lotsa muscle.
    Think other Westie owners are best placed to advise you re: dietary suggestions. But think the Vet might be the best place to start. They'll check for fleas/mites and will advise you on diet.
    We're nothing like the Earth Mother/Father we might be coming across as: Mr & Mrs Gotta Lose Weight more like, but we know enough about the benefits of pre & probiotics for us, and they seems to be a big things in the canine world too. Maybe have a read up on them online. We figured if we try to get our boy's diet sorted, in the long term he'd feel/look really good, be healthy and best of all, we'd not have to keep giving him meds for allergies which we hate doing = less Vet Bills!!!
    Do hope your little girl's not too uncomfortable, its horrible to watch them constantly scratching. BTW, our first EBT girl's best pal was Selwyn, a Westie, who saw off any other dog who came near her. he absolutely loved her! So did we x
    Good Luck getting this sorted.

Peteeyres likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice