Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Western Hognose turned aggresive

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by Cogsworth64, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Cogsworth64

Cogsworth64 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

My western hognose (Charlie) has recently become very aggressive and temperament. He use to be pretty chilled out, but over the last year any time I try to clean him out he either refuses to move or hisses and goes for bites.

He is roughly 2 1/2 foot long and on 2 large pinkies a week. He gets fed in his cage (I do aim to get him a bigger one in the next week) but has anyone got any techniques and suggestions to get him back into not seeing me as a threat?

Thanks in advance,
    J.

2. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi i love Animals too much

Hognose snakes are known to be like this unfortunately. He won't actually be trying to bite, they strike with their mouth close to give you a fright, it's called bluff striking :) Have you had him long? If you have had him quite a while and this is a sudden change of behavior, either call you exotic vet and see what they think or try to gain his trust again. Have you been handling him any less? Or has anything changed in his environment or life at all? Snakes can get stressed with tiny changed, and so act aggressively out of fear or stress.

3. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Hognoses huff and puff - it's what they do.

Two pinkies isn't nearly enough though - you should be upping the prey size.

Wild With Roxi likes this.
  4. Wild With Roxi

Wild With Roxi i love Animals too much

Yeah I forgot to add that, like shibapup said she/he should be getting a hopper mouse by now at least. The most I'd go is a small mouse, and the very least would be two fuzzies.

5. Cogsworth64

Cogsworth64 PetForums Newbie

I thought his food might have some thing to do with it. I have had him for 3 years but the last year my interaction with him has dropped dramatically and we have just moved house. So I definetly think we might be back to a starting point in trust. Looks like I have got some snake trust points to earn! Thanks for the advice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice