Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

West Highland Terrier ( Westies )

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Sorccha, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Sorccha

Sorccha PetForums Newbie

Hello
    I breed westies and if anyone wants any information etc, I would be glad to help.:)

2. poppies

poppies PetForums Newbie

Hi I am looking to get a westie puppy we already have a 2 year old female cocker spaniel and it would be nice for her to have acompanion to play and go for walks with, poppy hardly ever barks it would be nice to have a dog that barks when someone comes to the door but can you train westies to not bark all the time for any little thing as I have heard some small dogs doing. is there anything you would recommend looking out for when getting a puppy most of the ads that I have rang only have 1 left and I would like one that is not the most dominant /excitable in the litter have you any tips on what to look for to avoid this, any advice would be more than welcome

3. Helenridley

Helenridley PetForums Newbie

Hi there!

I have just got a 3 month old westie (max) but i worry about him and would love him to have a companion. My fiance is not too keen (he siad he doesnt like the one we have got, let alone get another one - - - but you should see him playing, kissing, cuddling max all the time!) but i think it would be great. How ever we are under tight budget at the mo (getting married in October) and we couldntreally aford Max! but the cats just arent the right company for him (max cant understand why they wont play with him - bless!)

So really im jsut enquiring. Where abouts are you? how old are the recent little - if any? when are the next planned???!!! ect.

Sorry to jabber on, but i get so excited about pupies!
    Thanks, Helen x

4. Tom

Tom PetForums Member

Damn! We won't be getting a dog until August at the earliest, but at the moment, a Westle looks like a big 'thumbs-up'. :mad: :eek:

Ah well, I'm sure there'll be more. :)

Ladywiccana likes this.
  5. daisydoo

daisydoo PetForums Junior

hi, i have just been brought a westie for my birthday. she is 13 weeks old now. would like to anythink about westies. been told she is smallest of the litter. she has been unwell had whopping cough and kennel cough. she has been on antibiotics. much better now. but she has been off her food. any information would be gratefull.

6. paulcwn

paulcwn PetForums Newbie

trying to breed my westie with my sisters her dog is allways trying to get leg over but she wont let him do u know y

7. andrea 35

andrea 35 PetForums VIP

Many tears rescue has several westies at the moment ranging from pups to ex breeding bitches looking for forever homes ...

8. peppapug

peppapug PetForums Senior

I am assuming this post is a wind up!:hand:

9. dormar

dormar PetForums Newbie

please is there anything I can do about one of my 18month old westies he has reverted to being "dirty" at night. They are outside for an hour before going to bed.:confused:

10. sarahloulong

sarahloulong PetForums Newbie

hi there,

im trying to breed my westie, she is standing for the stud, both are very interested but the male cannot seem to enter far enough to tie, he is leaking lots of fluid, could molly become pregnant or do they have to tie, please could you give me some advice.:confused:

11. siobhan17

siobhan17 PetForums Newbie

Hi would love your advice on my Westie, Mabel, who is 10months old who is a fantastic dog, everyone loves her character but there are just two things that are a problem - growling and itching!

She has started growling at people, particularly men. I'm guessing this is a protection thing, and I have tried talking as if greeting a friend, which doesn't work. Other people advise a stern 'No' and changing direction, which I am continuing with at the moment. I am also sending her to her bed if she barks too much in the house, which is definately working. I'm hoping that by being 'the boss' the growling might eventually stop? She does sleep at the end of my bed - is this a bad idea? She is very friendly to all other dogs, and great with kids .... just feel like I need to nip this growling thing in the bud ... any help would be great.

The other thing is itching .... tops of front legs and her feet mainly. Someone mentioned a powder called 'Hawks something' - anyone know what it is ? Or any other ideas? I give her Burns Fish & Rice dry mix with chicken.
    looking forward to hearing your advice
    shev:)

12. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

I don't have westies but I would recommend trying Yumega for her itching it works brilliantly especially on dogs with skin problems. You can buy it in Pets At Home or through their website YUMEGA | Reduce moulting - Improve dry skin - Healthy coat

Also have you tried her on the Royal canin westie food this is designed especially for westies and it helps with their sensative skin and also help to keep their coats white.

Good luck with her
    take care

Sarah

13. Mr plumber of rochdale

Mr plumber of rochdale PetForums Newbie

Did she ever come back and help anybody?

14. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

Its got to be a wind up

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice