Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

were will a mouse hide and weres best place to trap them kindly

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by mousemighty, Jul 3, 2009.

1. mousemighty

mousemighty PetForums Member

hi i breed mice and one has escaped , ive bought a small trap which is humane it will only trap the mouse, ive moved things about ,but am i wasting time , any ideas pls were to put the trap, i lost mouse in front room im hoping she anit scared ect thanks: as will mouse move from room to room ect

2. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Your mouse will only move from room to room if there is a way for him/her to get out. For example, one of my Robo hamsters escaped weeks ago and he went underneath the door as there is about a 1inch gap. I didn't see where he went but my house is a maze of hidey holes!

Probably best to put the trap out of the way from sight...the mousey might not venture out into a large space in case it gets caught!

Good luck with finding your meece! :D

3. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I would think in this weather the mouse will be more interested in looking for water than food so you might bait the trap with a small cap/lid full of water, hope she turns up soon.

4. mousemighty

thanks ladies

5. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

near a wall in general, put some watered down jam in the trap. however you could put it in the middle of the room at night and you'd probably get lucky, they're abit thick like that ;)

we had a field mouse doing the rounds in a house i used to rent (lived in our wild never mown garden) while we were watching tv! use to watch it clamber over everything then go out the back door (which was usually open, if it was closed and the mouse was trapped we'd have to leave it ajar at night to let it out (poo's gave the game away).

6. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

An escaped mouse will stick to the walls if it can, looking for any small passage or bolt hole. If it was living in a cage I would put the cage down with the door open against a wall you think it might frequent (look for droppings) and leave the door open. The poor thing wants to go home just as much as you want to get it back and you might wake up to it back inside sleeping.

7. mousemighty

cheers ive put trap by dog bowl , and ill put down its tank with food in to see what happens , many tahnks

8. Mischievous_Mark

When one of my baby mice escape ( they were in their pop corn/flea stage) i put some flour roudn the edge of the room so i could see if it was in there, sure enough i found some little white paw prints leading to the little buggers hide out and caught it :D

9. Neza

Neza PetForums VIP

You could put an open shoe box down in the corner of a room he might frequent with bedding inside and a cracker with peanut butter. Mice find pb hard to resist.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice