Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Went to training class

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Miss.PuddyCat, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

And now Im in the proverbial dog house :rolleyes:

Sophie was non to pleased when I brought her thundershirt out n decided to make it a game of hide and seek behind the couch before I was able to get her and wrapped it around her.

She then made her point of walking stiffly around then teeter over onto her side :rolleyes:

Then as soon as we walked into the building we were stuck in the small foyer with a border collie pup while Sophie was shaking, crying mess at my feet :( she would not stop barking either. She then took a poo on the floor and I ended up picking her up and holding her to calm her down.

We then went into the arena! and thankfully there only three other dogs so we each had a corner to ourselves.

Sophie at this point was shaking less and making grumbling noises. While we all introduced ourselves and our dogs (age, breed). Then while the instructor talked Sophie kept grumbling so the instructor turned n said " And Sophie is quite a vocal one" to which I replied she has an opinion on everything!

Then when the instructor turned back around Sophie let this low grumble was quite funny :laugh:

This week we learned

• Look / Watch Me
    • Leave it (tossing treat on floor)
    • Sit / Stand / Down
    • Come
    • Touch / Say hi
    • Stay / Wait
    • Sitting for petting

It was nice, the instructor was calm, explained things well and everything is positive reinforcement :) I felt bad as Sophie was more interested in wanting to watch people/dogs and no treats or toys worked in getting her attention so it was more of us watching n trying with just encouraging words (the instructor was understanding n just said to let Sophie go at her own pace, which took alot of pressure off me)

So I cant wait till next week and we even have homework!!! :laugh:

2. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Sounds like it went great! Don't you love it when you have something like that to look forward too all week, that's how I feel about agility :yesnod: Good for you for addressing Sophie's issues :)

3. ozrex

ozrex PetForums VIP

I think that's a really great start. It sort of surprised me for a minute because all our classes are outdoors. I'm a bit slow on the uptake.

You really need a situation where Sophie can be far enough away from the other dogs to feel comfortable. I like the fact that you were all spaced out. We just have dogs doing their thing in concentric circles around the instructor. Worried dogs on the outer. There's plenty of room to move a dog away from the class for a bit if it needs that. Sounds like a good arrangement for indoors.

it's amazing how quickly dogs learn to focus on their person and work alongside other dogs.

Sounds fantastic I hope you both enjoy it.

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Same here, everything's outside. It's because us antipodeans are well 'ard :lol:

5. Miss.PuddyCat

I know Im very excited and there is three lvls of obedience , then rally o and then two courses of agility I think wed like to try.

I cant wait till next week :D

I think I was worried for nothing.

I could see maybe in the country outdoors would be fun but in a busy city, with city sounds and noises I could just see Sophie and I turning into a muddle of frustrations :(

Im gonna cheer her up as shes getting a new collar, new lead, bones etc later this week.:001_wub:

6. Miss.PuddyCat

Yeh that was one of my fears was us being to close to the other dogs, thankfully they werent the jumpy hyper wound up type.

But it was spacious and open, was scary tho when we had to leave Sophie by herself at one wall with the other dogs when we walked to the other and had to recall her.

7. ozrex

ozrex PetForums VIP

If she'll do that for you at this stage, in a strange place, with strange dogs; she's flippin' fantastic!!!!

That's not something that we'd be doing in a first session. Sophie's a little ripper! Don't let your instructor go too quickly (not saying they did, I wasn't there), slow and steady gets the best results. Dogs and people need to adapt to a new experience and consolidate new information before moving on. But Sophie's sounding like a great dog.

McKenzie's right we antipodeans are well 'ard! (Cough). Not like it's cold where you are or anything like that......duh.

8. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

Don't forget to add wet and misty/foggy too! :lol:

Sounds like Sophie did well at the class so congrats :)

I did love your description of Sophie in the Thundershirt! Jenny is the same, she can only walk in a stiff legged way and always manages to fall over onto her side :rolleyes:

9. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

Sounds fantastic. Such new situation for Sophie, I hope she adapts and relaxes begisn to enjoy it :)

10. Miss.PuddyCat

Haha thanks Id like to think she is :eek: I dont think Sophie is biddable in training Id think shed be happy just to potter around the forest, sleep on the couch and play with her toys when it comes to commands she just has no interest. I dont think its the teens or just being completely stubborn I just dont think she has an interest at least not yet.

Thats understandable and thats why it eased it for us as the trainer wasnt bothered that Sophie was watching everyone else instead of doing things on cue.

Its pretty chilly here, weve had a bit of snow already :eek: its damp, chill to the bone kind right now.

Its really only the thunder shirt and her rain coat that shell fart around with. Her sweaters and tees are fine :rolleyes:

Thank you :)

11. Miss.PuddyCat

I was thinking if it wasnt to much bother, If I could keep reposting on this post about our attempts at training outside the house and at training just for advice and support?

Ive noticed since friday shes becoming more vocal towards dogs :confused: We took her to the garden centre and she did some downs, sits and stays all relaxed and was commented on by other people.

Then we went on a forest walk were she was more interested in smelling everything in actually listening to us.We again did some stays, recall (Im still nervous about letting her off since the molly incident) so she stayed on her flexi.

We then headed up a trail and once we reached the top we saw two ladies walking up with leads but no dogs :confused: Well surprise the dogs were behind us, Sophie turned to bark at them, they ran past to the owners then back to us and one jumped and hit me in the stomach with its paws before bouncing off after the owner no apology :huh:

Then as that was going on another owner coming from different direction said to us " vicious is she" before they walked off in the same direction of the other people :mad:

So we just spent the rest of the walk letting her sniff and boot around as she was quite upset.

Im not sure what to do in these kinds of situations, its was all to chaotic

12. Miss.PuddyCat

Today went pretty well.

We went on her forest walk and practise, sits, stay, ok, and come. She did very well

I let her off and she even made her own way back to us and sat at my feet and let me clip her back on (Shed usually be a tease and run off then come back)

I dont know if it was a fluke or not but Im happy :D

Well try some tomorrow.

We did run into the same two dogs as yesterday tho they were just starting out on the trails as we were making our way out. The dogs were pulling both ladies in and they were trying to unclip them, they then took off down the trail and out of sight :confused: some people amaze me.

13. Miss.PuddyCat

Sophie had be gobsmacked today

Lately shes been a bit deaf. If I walk towards her shell walk away.

So today she started to do that, so I tried to call her to me but she would come.

So I then said

Sophie stay!

She actually sat down on the command and didnt move even when I walked up to her and clipped the lead on.

14. GingerRogers

GingerRogers PetForums VIP

I dont know how long you have had Sophie but sounds like she's really bonding with you. Training should help with that.

15. Miss.PuddyCat

I have had her since 7 and a half weeks old :)

She can be very stubborn and independent at the best of times :D

I was shocked I was sure shed move as soon as I walked up.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice