Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Went to go look at a pony today...

Discussion in 'Horse Photo Galleries' started by DaniiAngel, Jun 15, 2010.

1. DaniiAngel

DaniiAngel PetForums Junior

AND HE'S PERFECT!
    He's actually rideable, drives too but...just ahh! He didn't try and kill me even with my crappy bareback riding hehe.

Got some pics too ;D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Editing out my face, I looked terrible today. Also, the guy was like "What are you doing hold the reins like this *positions my hands*" I was like "OMG D:" So that's why my hands are odd too.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Going to pick him up tomorrow, and the guy, who has 200 horses and 900 acres O.O
    He's having my Tobiano gelding for a month to sort him out and just generally teach him some manners.

But soo excited! :D

#1 DaniiAngel, Jun 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  2. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Strange way to hold the reins? did he know?

3. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

dont think he did, how well do you know him, I take it your pony will be coming back

4. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

When I used to ride the reins where in between the little finger:confused:

5. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

yep her hands are upside down so to speak :thumbup:

6. DaniiAngel

He did but he said I wouldn't have control...o_O I had perfect control before he told me to do that then I had no control lol.

7. mandiecoons

mandiecoons PetForums Junior

what are you planning to do with this new pony???? i wouldnt take any advice off someone that has such badly fitting tack on there pony!!!! and if i were you i certainly would not send your tobiano to him to be "SORTED OUT"!!!!!!! you will probably never see him again.

8. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

I have to admit I hadnt noticed the tack before, my worry was how big she looks on him, I am also worried about her tobiano ;) to me it smacks of dealer :scared:

9. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Cracking pony but a tad on the small side for ridden? Will make you a loving driving pony though. I certainly would question why you are sending you horse to someone who obviously had a rather unique riding style??? That bit is huge in his mouth and the bridle belongs on a cob I'd have said!! Other than that he's certainly a nice looking little fella.

10. DaniiAngel

Umm, excuse me? lol.
    FYI, i'm not planning to do anything except hack in the woods until next year when he's 3.
    It was the only bridle they had at the time, I barely touched the bit when I was on him. We also only walked.
    Too late he's gone. These people train horses for clients aswell, the only damn reason he's going there is because i'm too small to handle him and my Mum is in no fit shape to handle such a heavyweight horse with his attitude.

Cosmetic. He's a native and i'm 7.5stone. He carries me fine. Being too tall is purely cosmetic, honestly I don't know why people such a big deal out of it.
    Yes. They are dealers, but they're breeders and trainers aswell. You don't even know them so how can you and the above be so quick to judge?

He's fine to be ridden, believe me if I knew how to drive and had the money to buy a cart i'd be driving him lol.
    It's an interesting riding style but the guy is good at what he does. I rode a few of his horses and all were good considering my crappy balance (note to self: practise riding bareback before going out in public). Agreed most of them were 2 year olds but they weren't rammed on the road, nor were they abused in any way. The bridle was the only one they had unfortunately, I've got a properly fitting one at home that i'm going to try on him tomorrow.
    My gelding is...well...challenging at the best of times. When he's being led he'll rear, swing round to kick and usually bite out of aggresion. I didn't see one of this guys horses do that, even the stallions were absolute saints, for the price he gave us to do all groundwork and backing is probably half of a weeks livery at a "proper" breaking and training place.
    He needs to be sorted out, neither me or my mum are in any position to get seriously hurt if he threw one of his hissy's while we were on the other end of the rope...

11. mandiecoons

i rest my case hes TWO!!!!! and someone your size shouldnt be on him never mind hacking him through the woods untill hes THREE!!!! well you carry on you will cripple his back but hey as long as your enjoying yourself what does it matter!!!!

12. tosca

tosca PetForums Member

At 2yo he is still a baby!:mad:

13. DaniiAngel

Flame all you want, you arn't going to change my mind.
    I've been riding 2yr olds right up until they're 5 and 6 and competing at 4...no problems at all.
    At 2, considering how much he's been ridden already, if he was gonna be crippled he'd be crippled now.

I choose to laugh at anyone who believes this ridiculous myth about how you can't ride 2 year olds. Absolutely stupid.

14. mandiecoons

its not a myth about riding two year olds that we are on about ITS SOMEONE YOUR SIZE RIDING A DINKY LITTLE 2 YR OLD!!!!!:mad: fine let a little 3-4 year old potter around on him on lead rein but not a hefty lump like yourself!!!! im presuming your still a child and know no better but you even should be able to see its not fair to the little chap to have to carry you!!!!

15. Melx

Melx PetForums Member

I am slightly confused after reading this thread.... He is a lovely little pony but like said before he is quite small for you?
    You dont look very old in pics so you have just got to think you will grow. I think its totally your decision but I personally would get something bigger if you are looking at riding for couple years etc.
    I am 8stone and 5ft2 and I have a 16.3tb. Tbh I would not get on anythig under about 13hh because it is very hard to ride also if you are on something too small.
    Pretty pony though :)

16. Melx

Melx PetForums Member

Have just noticed there is two pages, I still stand by what I said in last post but you are wanting to hack a 2year old through the woods?!? Thats madness.
    I do not agree with breaking horses until a minimum of 3 and tbh I would think he has probably been beaten of drugged or dehydrated to be that calm at 2 years old with someone on his back with no saddle.
    It is not a myth to wait to break a horse, it is to wait for there bones to grow and there body to develope properly without the added strain of being made to for example, wear tack, possibly draw/side reins, go in an outline, all of this before the body has developed.
    Also I do not think that riding a 2yar old out on hacks is a birlliant idea either, easy way of getting thrown off.

17. DaniiAngel

He's not drugged. I sat on him yesterday and he was fine after getting to my yard.

GTFO ^^

18. DaniiAngel

Excuse me?
    It's my horse. I'm riding him knowing that he's fine carrying my weight.
    Stil a child...yes of course :rolleyes: i'm 16 and probably weigh just a tad less than most riders *sarcasm*
    If you have such a big problem then report me to the RSPCA or whatever. Or, come down to my yard.
    Go for it.

19. Melx

Melx PetForums Member

Why do you want such a small horse at 16? He cant be anymore than 12hh?

20. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

I have an idea ...

Since you don't have x-ray eyes and can not see for sure if his plates have fused, why not ... to be sure, leave the riding for another year. Spend a year getting to know him and gradually introducing him to a saddle and what not.

Imagine if in 10 years time your pony develops problems ( and winds up looking like this http://www.sherralsequineartstudio.com/Customs/swayback horse 448 kb.jpg) because you didn't wait? You will be gutted and wish you had listened to the grown ups, who know a trifle lot more about horses. Many of whom have more than 20 years experience on top of your young years.

I'm not trying to be derogatory of you and your age, but it does seem to me like you are not considering your pony's health over your want to ride it.

Also, waiting another year means you will also see if you have a growth spurt yourself, you may find in a year you really are too big for him.

#20 Aurelia, Jun 18, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice