Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Welsh Springers

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dad 2 a welshie, Jan 27, 2008.

1. dad 2 a welshie

dad 2 a welshie PetForums Junior

Hi,
    Just wondering if there are any other welshie owners here on this site. They are quite a rare breed as i understand and would like to get to know how you have got on. I hope to be able to show my new girl.

2. CreatureCrazy

CreatureCrazy PetForums Junior

Hi, I don't own a Welsh Springer Spaniel and have only cared for one (kennel assistant). Not the most pleasurable of experiences - he found my leg somewhat attractive. :rolleyes: I don't believe they are rare, rather then not as favoured as their close relative the English Springer Spaniel, among the other spaniel breeds. English Springer Spaniels are said to be more trustworthy around children, however due to careful breeding I believe Welsh Springer Spaniels are becoming just a trustworthy. I believe the reason English Springer Spaniels are favoured over the Welsh Springer Spaniels is because they are slightly more suitable for the urban lifestyle, not as reserved with strangers and unlike Welsh Springer Spaniels don't require as much constant training. Do you just have one?

3. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

i dont know much about them,,, do they look the same as the english, if not what difference is there,,,,,,,,,,,,,

4. CreatureCrazy

There are a few differences. English Springer Spaniels are bigger and more compact. English Springer Spaniels come in a variety of colours, where Welsh Springer Spaniels come in just one; a rich red and white combination. Welsh Springer Spaniels are also finer boned and don't have such profuse coats as it's close relative the English Springer Spaniel. Welsh Springer Spaniels also have considerably smaller ears. The only other difference is the the amount of English Springer Spaniels there are compared to Welsh Springer Spaniels. :)

5. colliemerles

oh thanks for all that info,,i dont think i have ever seen one,, there are plenty of english springers around my way,,,,,

6. Vixie

Vixie PetForums VIP

here is a pic of two welsh springers :)

Attached Files:

7. CreatureCrazy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The top image is a Wesh Springer Spaniel, the bottom image is an English Springer Spaniel. As you can see they look similar, however can be quite easy to tell apart.

8. colliemerles

thank you for the pictures,,i can see the difference, :D:D:D

9. dad 2 a welshie

dad 2 a welshie PetForums Junior

Well i do have a welshie boy called Dylan, A sproker called Jade and a english springer called Jilly.
    [​IMG]

And belive me when i say that the welshie is totally different to it cousin the english, Dylan has had me pulling my hair out and took 12 months to fully house train and yet even now he will dribble on his way out the door.

Oh and they are very Rare, 350 were reg with the Kc as aposed to over 14,000 english in 2006. They are a superb breed and very different to the english and also they are not smaller than the english that very much depends on the dog itself as some are bigger than others but then there are not the show and working strain as in english.

Welshies are more loving than english as Dylan will sit on my lap and nibble on my ear lobe which is quite a party trick when i have guests:):)

10. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

Beautiful dogs,I love spaniels.

Bet they keep you fit........:D:D

11. CreatureCrazy

Loving dogs dad 2 a welshie. :)

12. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

I have one (or 2)

Heres my boy Morgan
    003.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice