Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

welsh-english springers

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by barneythore, Aug 12, 2009.

1. barneythore

barneythore PetForums Senior

could anyone tell me if there is any difference between welsh springer spaniels and english 1s please

2. rona

rona Guest

Apart from the colouring and slight shape difference. I have seen both working and the welsh seems to use it's brain more whereas the English seems to work more on instinct.
    Not quite sure what you are asking about ;)

3. barneythore

i was just wondering if there was any difference in size or in the face thats all

4. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

The male ESS should be 19-20" at the withers and the WSS is 17-19".....................i think!
    But Welsh Springers are only rich red and white, whereas ESS's are liver and white, black and white and even tri-coloured (although i don't think this is accepted in the show ring)

I could be wrong................lol!!

5. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

yes tri-colour are allowed in the show ring ;)

there is a marked difference in the head and leathers on the ear and the english (show type) tend to be heavier all through than the good old welsh.

However the difference between a working english and a show english are great the welsh however are not

6. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Thanks for that! I knew they were bred but didn't know about the showing side!

7. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

I just met a welshman with his welsh gundog springers the other day, Ive seen lots of welsh and the only real difference is the bone/muscle structure in legs and shoulders. Attitudes are the same - they are both a set of rasclas given the chance. Its only the size/colours that make the welsh look a gentleman where the english look more rambo-esq

The head size is a bit of a talking point - the welsh breeder I met had one with a head the size of my older dog - very wide sculled but the shoulders werent as wide set as the ess. The colours on a welsh are more orange than red, sort of what you see on some king charles. The big difference is price. Both breeds can be worked

8. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

They should be red, orange is frowned upon, and as for price there is not much difference between the price of a show welsh and a show english ;)

9. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

Id describe it as more orage than red. hed won at crufts a few years ago - maybe he thinks they are red too? they are definitely not hazel and they are definitely not pillarbox - somewhere inbetween :) I was alwasy under the impression WS were £750+ whereas ESS were at most £550

10. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

OK but breed standard states Red and mine is red, and yes they are about that but so is a well-bred show english ;)

11. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I have always thought of them as rich red! In human terms its a deep ginger. A red setter is almost the same colour and they aren't orange!!!!! lol!

12. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

yes mine is the colour of a red setter he is a real rich red in fact that is him in the photo of the welsh and that actually doesnt do his colour justice he was just a pup there :)

13. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

I love Welshies! When i agreed to take on my boy he was dropped down to me by the previous couple and they told me was a WSS....well he came in and it was quite clear he is an ESS!!! I tried to explain but they wouldn't have it!!

14. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

nah not the colour of a enlish setter thats too deep, how about the colour of autum leaves. :):D:D

15. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

an english setter is orange and wouldnt say my boy is the colour of autumn leaves he is a rich red

16. barneythore

many thanks for all info its just as you can see in my pic thore is big and broad and i think must be the show stock and barney is thin and small headed and i was talking to someone the other day and they said he looked like a welsh 1 just cos i got him from wales dont mean he is so i thought i would ask it says ess on his papers

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice