Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Well

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Summercat, Sep 30, 2018.

1. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

I found hemp more durable than sisal.

Jcatbird, Summercat and dustydiamond1 like this.
  2. dustydiamond1

dustydiamond1 One of two loving minions to Gypsy since Oct 2016

Thanks, she really did some damage on them. Not sure why she likes one more than the other.

Jcatbird and Summercat like this.
  3. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

She will have a very good reason, but being a cat won’t share it with you. :cool:

4. dustydiamond1

dustydiamond1 One of two loving minions to Gypsy since Oct 2016

Boy that's for sure! I had switched them when it started to get ragged thinking it was the higher location she liked but no, for some reason in that little cat brain of hers she likes one better than the other. She only started to really tear into the 2nd one when the 1st one got so completly torn up. Picked up some sistal but think it may be too large diameter and picked up some 'polished'(?) hemp that seems really soft. Will see what I can do later on. 1am Sunday here.

Jcatbird, Summercat and ChaosCat like this.
  5. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

I am not sure which type is which @dustydiamond1 but I think this is sisal :

20CD08F7-9C0C-43F4-A16E-CDAEF318EEE3.jpeg

This type does not seem to hold up as well.

This, one, I am not sure the material but it is amazing. I only have one like it, made from a local manufacturer. Wonderful, we have had it since about September 2017 I think when not long after Biggles arrived.
    We have thrown out a few posts of the other type that did not hold up nearly as well.
    FAB2745F-F77A-4D1D-B279-4BF412014C23.jpeg

This is a well used post but does not look it. Very well made, used daily, for scratching, sitting and games.

6. Jcatbird

Jcatbird PetForums Member

Well.... Hi! I think the first is sisal but the second looks more like a softer fiber. Maybe a treated cotton? Sisal can make a terrible mess. I like your second one!
    Sorry I have not been around for awhile but very glad to see everyone is well!
    A belated Happy Valentine Day to all from ...
    Banjo and her Frog Prince,
    A7A5C4DF-BE12-41A8-9586-44038E1F91EE.jpeg
    Wanda Heart and
    CFD9FB0A-A4D8-4FC6-AF8A-11F25EB3F7E1.jpeg
    The old man, BJ as well as the rest of the Clowder.
    45E7AF2D-53A1-45AA-A5CC-D729C82FBBCF.jpeg

7. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Jcatbird
    Very nice to see you and yours ❤️

I think you may be right, the better scratching post could be threaded cotton. It holds up very well and they use it all the time.

dustydiamond1 likes this.
  8. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Just a little update from Biggles & Jack.
    The boys are both well.

Jack found his favorite well worn valerian fish under the couch the other week. I had replaced it with a few of the exact same fish but once he found his original pal, the others are of no interest. Strange as original fish has a lot less valerian scent, I would have thought the others would appeal more. We play fetch with fish pal a lot.

Jack is still has his attachment to the salad spinner. Whenever I get it out, he gives it head rubs.
    Water continues to be a fascination and I am pretty sure with enough water he would swim.

OH was replacing light bulbs the other day and ladders are always fun. OH obligingly moved the ladder so Jack could swipe the chandelier.

07E532BE-D446-4524-AFDD-52C405EC86AF.jpeg

The boys play well together and are good friends still. Though Jack is the younger, he no longer looks the baby of the two.
    944AC462-7DAE-47DF-9481-52239B535FB6.jpeg

776E63EF-9B95-45B5-9011-59D860C50729.jpeg

Hope everyone is well

9. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Wow what a big handsome fellow Jack is! :)

Great photos of the two of them together. I am so pleased they get on. xx

Summercat likes this.
  10. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Thanks @chillminx :) I am happy and relieved they have a good relationship.

I worry sometimes when they play fight, as Jack is a lot bigger and stronger than Biggles. On occasion when Bigs meows as if hurt during play I separate them. But they seem to both like play fighting and chasing each other and Biggles often initiates play.

chillminx likes this.
  11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Aww, it's nice they like to play-fight. My girls seem to have given up play-fighting as they have got older (they are now 7 y/o). Up to last year the girls had a really playful relationship with the boys and often chased each other and played, stalk, hide and pounce together in the garden. Especially funny when they used to do the sideways crab-walking or the 'stonking' (bouncing on stiff legs)

Nowadays the boys are still keen to play with the girls but the girls get huffy and affronted and won't join in.:(. The boys are never rough with them, and one of the boys is a small cat, smaller than the girls. The other boy is one of the most gentle, sweet natured cats I have known, always kind to other cats (and humans). So I am not sure why the girls no longer want to play chase...

Summercat likes this.
  12. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@chillminx
    Oh poor fellows. Maybe the girls just grew out of chase type games.

Biggles is often up for a game and the boys hide behind doors and pop out of boxes at each other. Luckily with only two they are matched in that way. If one did not want to, it would be more difficult with only two.

Biggles is about four and a half give or take a bit. He was estimated about one and a half when I adopted him and Jack will be two around the end of August.
    I worry a little more about Biggles, not just because of Jack's bigger size but Biggles has a small skeletal issue. It is one of his ribs, you can feel it sticking out. I try to be careful when holding him or picking him up. It doesn't seem to bother him but cats often hide pain. I worry that Jack might in play, put too much pressure on the area and hurt him.
    The vet said he may have been born with it or it may be from poor nutrition while he was growing.

13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Poor Biggles! Hopefully the rib is strong enough to resist any damage if he and Jack have a boisterous play session. x

Summercat likes this.
  14. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Hi,
    @chillminx, I am probably being overly cautious. The vet thought it grew that way, so not the result of an old injury, so my worry is probably over nothing. xx

#734 Summercat, May 30, 2020
    Last edited: May 30, 2020
    chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice