Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

well we've moved house.. .

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by polishrose, Nov 17, 2012.

1. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

And the cats are not too impressed. Bingley is braver than Buddy and has explored the whole house, all 3 floors(we lived in a bungalow before)has used the litter tray and eaten. ..Buddy on the other hand is hiding on the top floor and has done his business on the carpet as he's too scared to come downstairs. My daughter carried him down yesterday and he used the litter tray and then hid behind the toilet. How can we help him adjust? Matters aren't helped by the fact that I'm back in hospital after having an operation last week. Also could I have some recomendations for cat litter please, as they've been using the garden for the past 8years so I've not had to buy any.

2. dagny0823

dagny0823 PetForums VIP

You might want to try confining them to one room for a day or so, until they get their bearings. Put things in that smell familiar, a litter tray, feed them in there, and maybe some Feliway. Meanwhile, you can put Feliway plug ins around the house for them. Baby steps moving forward, so maybe let them out of the safe room and just allow them access to the 3rd floor, then the 2nd floor once they've taken it all in, then the rest. I'd also make sure there's a litter tray on all floors for a bit, just in case they get confused, lazy, or nervous to leave the floor they're on.

Our cats are used to moving around, so we don't really bother with that stuff too much, but I know that many of them get completely freaked out, and it seems like starting with smaller spaces and moving on to larger as they feel comfortable. Cats are such curious creatures that I think it comes down to a battle between fear and curiosity, and when the second wins out, then they start to explore happily.

Good luck--we'll be doing the same soon :D

polishrose likes this.
  3. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

Thank you. The litter tray is something new for them as they've not used one for the last 8 years. But I'm not letting them out in the garden for at least 6 weeks. Bingley is in his element already, but then he's half Siamese and always been very confident. I'll get some extra litter trays and some feliway as soon as I'm out of hospital. Limiting access is a little difficult due to the layout of the house and the fact that the younger kids won't remember to shut doors but I will try.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice