Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Well we finally got him home after our holiday

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by jasperthecat, Mar 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jasperthecat

jasperthecat My best buddy.

We finally got to pick up Jasper today from my daughter's after our vacation. We arrived home from Lanzarote in the early hours of Friday morning after a delay due to the awful weather in England and it was around 6.30am before we got to bed yesterday and as my daughter was out for the day we left it until today to pick him up and to see my grand kids at the same time. We also got an update on all that had been happening and an opportunity to actually see how he was interacting with the family.
    We'd dropped him off late on Wednesday evening the 21st of February as we were flying the following morning so it had been about 10 days since we last saw him. To say that we missed his is an understatement to say the least.:(
    I was terribly worried that he wouldn't settle and unhappy and be fighting with his birth mother as she hadn't been too happy on the previous visits and attempts to introduce them but my daughter did all the right things and kept them apart for a couple of days before letting them mix fully together. On the final visit just before we dropped him off, he'd been in the same room as his mum and she hadn't reacted badly to his presence so that sort of helped me relax about it all.
    As well as Jasper's mum, my daughter also has another kitten of a similar age to Jasper and same breed which she bought around three months ago so his mum had only just got used to having a strange cat around and now she had to accept yet another so I was worried for her too but I needn't have been as it all worked out fine in the end.
    The first night my daughter put Jasper in the huge open plan lounge but he didn't like the door being closed and mewed quite a bit during the night so she ended sleeping on the sofa with him to settle him.
    There was a bit of hissing from his mum for the first couple of days but no aggression while they were kept partly apart but on the Saturday my daughter decided to let them mix while they were carefully chaperoned and the hissing stopped once they were free to mix...within a couple of days they were then feeding together and even chasing each other in play within another couple of days.

When we went to pick him up today, poor Jasper was very bemused...both his mum and the kitten had come into season at the same time and they just wouldn't leave him alone, trying to mate with him. The poor guy just couldn't figure it all out as they were following him everywhere crying and crouching/rolling over and pulling at him...it's just as well he'd been neutered.;)
    I think the first couple of days took a little toll on him and he wasn't eating as much as usual which is understandable as he has never been left by us for longer than six hours since we got him and he may have lost a little weight but after a few days he'd settled and back to eating more or less as usual. In fact he'd even been eating minced wild boar and minced heart which was all new to him.
    My daughter's house is continuously extremely warm which might have accelerated Jasper's moulting...I had to give him a jolly good brushing when we got him home. I noticed a slight coughing from him on one occasion which my other half thought was due to a fur ball so I'll keep my eye on it but I think she could well be correct as he's fastidious about cleaning himself and he really is casting his fur at the moment.
    For the first hour or two of getting him home today he was a little jumpy and maybe even missing his new chums but he settled back in and started eating and even did a bit of playing before falling to sleep on our bed.
    My daughter's cats, especially the kitten fell in love with his Diogenese cat barrel so I've left it for them as a thank you to my daughter for having Jasper and I'm ordering a new one for him tonight...this time I'll get him the extra-large rather than the large model as he's just a bit too big for it now. I don't know how much it would have cost to leave him in a cattery but I suspect it would be far more than the cost of a cat barrel and besides he wouldn't have got the love and attention he got from my daughter and her family.
    Anyway, all the worry about him being distressed at leaving him was thankfully unfounded...he seems to have fitted in rather well and I've decided to take him on a visit to see his new friends every couple of weeks so that he can keep in touch with them as I may have to have my daughter's cats when she goes on holiday in May.
    I think the other two cats due to coming into season hadn't given him much peace for the last couple of days so he seemed ready for a jolly good sleep. I'll not disturb him but have left the TV on for him as he likes that and my OH has gone out shopping and will bring him a few meaty treats so that he'll have them when he wakes up.

Ready for a good sleep!
    [​IMG]

Brrosa, Emmasian, ZoeM and 13 others like this.
  2. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Christmas presents

Poor boy mobbed by girls! Glad he was fine and probably spoilt rotten x

jasperthecat likes this.
  3. jasperthecat

Typical females...trying to lead the poor innocent boy astray! It's all my fault I should given him a talk about such things...:D

4. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Poor boy!! Glad he’s back home safe and having some peace!

Stress can accelerate moulting.

5. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Is your daughter a breeder then?

6. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum PetForums VIP

Do you mean you haven't had the father/son talk about the birds 'n bees yet ?:eek::D:D

jasperthecat likes this.
  7. jasperthecat

I thought that too with regard to the moulting but my daughter's cats have also been casting quite heavily due to the extra heating. If he'd been continually stressed I'd have certainly agreed but he was quite the relaxed boy when we went to pick him up and my daughter sent us some videos of him while we were on holiday and he certainly didn't appear stressed and seemed quite happy to mix with the other two so don't think he was exactly distressed though he did seem a little confused at all the attention the other two were suddenly giving him.
    Prior to that he was the one following them around...suddenly it was the other way around. Males aren't used to that sort of thing you know!;)

bluecordelia and huckybuck like this.
  8. jasperthecat

No but she bred a litter from Jasper's mum. She possibly may have one more litter from her before she has her spayed but that will be it.

9. jasperthecat

I know, I'm a failed father...I should have explained these things to him :( Poor little fella was utterly confused by all the amorous attention.
    I was bit like that myself...I had my first experience with a girl when I was 11...she was 17....mind you to be fair she soon picked things up!:D

10. huckybuck

I think even a small amount of stress causes them to shed - a trip to the vets and handfuls fall out of the HBs!

jasperthecat likes this.
  11. jasperthecat

Jasper isn't an easily stressed cat...I suspect he was when we first dropped him at my daughter's but I'd had him there for 4 visits spread over several weeks leading up to the holiday so it wasn't like the surroundings and the other cats were completely alien to him. On the last visit his mum who had been a bit hissy toward him prior to that got a bit of a shock when he growled at her when she came too close and she sort of kept her distance after that. Once she realised he was no threat she was fine with him and they all got on well.

I've only just put down the phone as my daughter rang to see how he'd settled back in here as she believed he'd really enjoyed himself and might have missed the other two.. his mum had been in season for nearly 4 days and she'd never left him alone so I can understand why he's sleeping now...he likes his sleep especially during the night and the look on his face when they were pursuing today him was a picture. He always looks at me for reassurance of anything strange and he was looking at me as if to say what the hell is up with these two?:D

huckybuck likes this.
  12. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@jasperthecat
    He is a pretty boy, I don’t think I noticed the slight tabby markings on him before but they are nice.

jasperthecat likes this.
  13. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

I am glad all went well, well well enough, poor Jasper all those girls chasing him, he’s a good boy!

I bet your happy to have him home, knowing all went well.

Come on own up, how much were you willing your holiday to pass :D day 2 on?

Clairabella and jasperthecat like this.
  14. jasperthecat

Every day I kept saying..." I wonder how poor Jasper is getting on"? Only 'X' more days till we see him again! Then when we get him home all he's done is sleep! I blame those two girls for this! Typical. Throwing themselves at him!

ewelsh and Summercat like this.
  15. jasperthecat

He has ghost markings on him which show up under certain lights and he's lighter than he looks in the pic It was nearly dark when I took this shot with the phone but when I use the big camera you can see them clearly.

Summercat likes this.
  16. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Am I missing something somewhere along the way? Normally people would be begging you at this point to advise, nay beg plead and pound your chest at your daughter to have her cats neutered to avoid adding to the over-population problem... What's different here?

Rufus15 likes this.
  17. jasperthecat

Tell me...how many British Blues have you seen actually wandering the streets in the past month?

18. huckybuck

We have had this discussion a while back on a previous thread...sadly I can’t rememember what the old thread was about now to find it for you.

19. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Many in cc don’t mind byb’s

the op’s daughter is a breeder as she’s bred her cat and got another entire. I hope the cats are tested for the relevant breed tests and registered.

Rufus15 likes this.
  20. huckybuck

Really???? Wow!!!! Would love to know who the many are...

certainly not “regulars”

Jeano1471, lea247 and Summercat like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice