Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

well, seems i have a kitten!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by kodakkuki, Sep 12, 2013.

1. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

but i'm posting here instead of chat because she is So little. judging by her teeth the vet said she is between 6-9 weeks, but she is only 500g and /very tiny, so i'm not convinced she is near 9.
    she was brought in to the vets by a lady and her daughter who had found her in their garden; apparently a few days ago there were 3 (and a momma) but momma soon moved two of them and never came back for this wee one. not able to keep her they brought her to the practice, but the vet said they couldn't take her in, and no rescues could take her at that time... so she came home with me!
    so here is my little Gracie, named after the lovely girl who looked after her! [​IMG]
    :001_wub:
    she was very cuddly in the practice, but now she is home and settling in a carrier she is getting hissy and spitty- my dogs are terrified! :rolleyes:
    could it be that she is actually a feralborn? but calm enough in the practice to cuddle and be popped in a nurses pocket with zero protest?
    she hasn't eaten since at least 3 (forgot to ask when they last fed her before bringing her in) and has drank very little- i have some lactol in for her as well as wet food (whiskas, but i'll be getting better food at the weekend).
    does she sound ok? how hard will litter training be btw?

but aint she a doll!!!!!!

2. we love bsh's

we love bsh's PetForums VIP

500g is the usual weight for say a 5 week old.Its probably the dogs smell making her hissy she will be scared having never seen one before.

Out of all the off shelf super market brands i would have gone for felix kitten pouches.Id suggest not to change food too much or she could get the runs..Good luck.:)

3. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

whiskas was the only kitten food they had in stock! :( if i was to be going into p@h, what one would be best? or is there a nutrition sticky? :eek:

and i don't know if i should assume she's been wormed or not?

4. cats galore

cats galore PetForums VIP

Flossy's kittens are 4 weeks old tomorrow and most are close to 500g. in fact one of them is well above that weight. if she is 9 weeks she certainly is very very tiny. she's very pretty though and looks like she has found the perfect home with you:)

#4 cats galore, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  5. we love bsh's

If you can get it then raw is the best for them,i use 'natural instincts' p@h may stock it im not sure as i buy ours online.:)

6. moggiemum

moggiemum PetForums VIP

hi , just wanted to say best wishes and thankyou for giving this poor girl a home , i do hope someone finds mum and others too:eek:

if your leaving her at home in daytime she might be better in a big crate with her litter tray in there, in a seperate room from dogs, if she goes outside of the tray then wipe with tissue and put that in tray and this will teach her were to go , or if you see her getting ready to go then pick her up and pop her in tray,

she is so cute and so lucky:)

7. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Pets at Home don't stock Natural Instinct for cats, it can only be bought online, but Pets at Home do stock Hilife which has a kitten range and Purely, they are alot better than Whiskas :)

8. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Dear little girl, hope she settles in soon for you. A quiet room on her own, with you visiting just to sit and chat to her should help, don't reach out for her let her come to you.

I wouldn't think she's been wormed, unless the vets did it while she was there? Litter training hopefully won't be too hard, give her several trays, you might want to put some soil in one tray for her if she's used to going outside.

sometimes kittens who don't get the best start are smaller than normal, she looks around 6 weeks to me.

9. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

She's exquisite - and a brindle-y tortoiseshell, which is my very favourite cat colour. You are both lucky to have each other. God brought you together to love each other.

You may find she is unable to wash herself. Many years ago a fried of my got a tiny kitten. (He was only 5 weeks old - far too young, but the owner of the mother just wanted rid.) He hadn't got a clue how to wash himself.

A girl at work advised her to slather him in butter; he would lick the delicious greasy nommyness off his fur and learn how to keep himself clean. Simples!

The next day she buttered the cat (yes - I know it sounds awful, but at least I didn't say "buttered her pussy" did I) - so anyway, she buttered the cat, shut him in the living room and went to work. She came back to a black slimy lump, identifiable as little Ali by the fact it had eyes and a demanding yowl, and tiny black greasy paw prints everywhere! The little toerag had been up the chimney, come down covered with buttery soot, and apparently raced madly round and round the room pursued by demons. It took some washing off, I can tell you. In case you're wondering, she had him about 15 years. He was one of the most aggressive cats I've ever met, probably as a result of his early butter-soot-and-demon experiences. He used to jump off high pieces of furniture and attack people. I probably still bear the scars beneath my hair.

10. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

she's shockingly good at cleaning- but i think she might still need stimulated to poo :confused: she still hasn't went, but happily let poppet clean round her bum.

as for where to keep her, i know it isn't ideal, but the only crates i have she'd get her head through the bars, so i'm going to do the same with her as i did with my last pups- pop her, her bed, food and toilet in my zoozone2- it was big enough for 3 YT pups, so i hope it'll be ok as a temp place for her- and i don't have to worry about her getting out or the dogs popping their noses through.

not happy about food though- she's only licking lactol off my fingers- won't lap. should i heat her food slightly? how much n how long?

i'm just totally and utterly in love with this wee lady- she's so full of character- but apparently being a tortie girl she'll be trouble!? :eek:

11. we love bsh's

By her age she is more than capable of drinking/eating by herself as they can do this from 3 weeks old,maybe she is a little shy still once shes hungry enough she should eat by her self.

Trying to thing what her mum has been bringing her maybe try her with a little raw chicken or something you will be surprised what 6 week old tiny teeth can get through.

12. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

mince or on the bone? i give the doglets supermarket meat when i get it cheap- she ok on the same? i was going to get some turkey mince later if she hasn't touched the food... she must just find the cleaning by a grownup soothing then!

13. we love bsh's

A raw chicken wing would be ideal.

Long term the minced chk/turkey wouldnt be complete for a cat as they need some bone content in there along with other stuff like offal and such,the place called natural instincts sell minced food which are complete.

For now though a peice of chicken or chk wing would be ok for her as getting something into her is the most important thing as young kittens can quickly go downhill especially if not drinking.

14. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

thanks, that what i was hoping!
    the reason i don't have the dogs on complete raw is lack of freezer space, but once that is sorted dogs and cat will be on raw :)

15. we love bsh's

:) also cat and dog raw is different.

Freezer space tell me about it we have 3 draws and 2 are filled with the cat food lol.

16. spotty cats

It's not unusual to not toilet and slightly go off food while settling in, she's going to be very stressed having your dogs around her crate, can you put her in a separate room?

Try tinned tuna or sardines, along with chicken or turkey mince to get her appetite going.

17. kodakkuki

kodakkuki PetForums VIP

she's spending 99% of her time away from the dogs- i introduced them this morning ust to show her what the smells were (and she was wrapped up down my top until she stuck her butt in the air!)

she better appreciate this when shes older! lol as if a CAT would ever appreciate something a slave does- she better not grow to expect it!! :p

18. spotty cats

Oh that's good, when you mentioned the crate and dog noses it sounded like they were together. Once she settled and comfortable with you, then you can intro the dogs, being a kitten she should adapt well in time.

Cats can be very appreciate too ;)

19. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

Torties are naughty (i've had three, and they are full of mischief) but they are also phenomenally affectionate. Lovely furry purries.

You could try her on a it of scrambled egg. My cats loved it, though I just gave it as an occasional treat.

20. Figaro

Figaro PetForums Member

So cute ! If you can get to a pets at home, do try the James Wellbeloved kitten pouches, they're a bit pricey but at her weight a box should last you a few days.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice