Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Well, I was wrong!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by BessieDog, Nov 27, 2012.

1. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Took Bess for her check up at the vets. The nurse commented how well she was looking, and her first question was 'what are you feeding her?' as predicted.

I said, 'er, um. Raw'.

A big smile came on her face, and she said 'Oh, I bet she's loving that! No wonder her coat is so shiny!'

Not what I expected at all, and hearing other people's stories I'm really pleased.

She wanted to look at her teeth particularly as she was on raw (I got the feeling that she hasn't seen many raw fed dogs before, and is really interested in them), and Bess, bless her, showed her show training and let her have a good look. First time she's ever let anyone in the vets look at her teeth without a struggle.

So, the visit didn't go at all as expected, and I wasn't under pressure to buy Hill's Science Plan!! :D

2. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

good stuff, when Tummel was ill and i had to tell the vet i thought it might be down to him swallowing a large piece of raw bone(which it was) she just said "accidents happen" and never bothered with it...she even advised that i buy in chappie instead of the crap they sold(her exact words lol).

The boys current vet isn't too great, when Dan was in for his puppy jabs he was on JWB which the vet was happy with but when i told him i was changing to WW(Dans poo's just never firmed up on JWB) he told me that food wasn't any use. I did mention chicken wings and got "oh that'll make him more aggressive, you'll have issues with food guarding if you give him that" I told him my other dog ate raw meals fine with me sitting next to him, even petting him(shock horror lol, Tummel only eats raw when i'm sitting with him) and i got evil eyes. Then again he did try to make me prebook Dans neutering at 6 months too :( I told him not to bother as we might show him and got dirty looks :ihih:

3. moonviolet

moonviolet PetForums VIP

Aww thats wonderful :) Finding a vet's you are happy with can be a real challenge.

4. lozzibear

lozzibear PetForums VIP

That is great :) My vet was ok when I told her I was feeding Jake raw... he has allergies and he was back and forth to the vets, when I decided to see how he was on raw. She had no problem with the actually feeding raw meats, but she did suggest I feed kibble along side it so that he was getting everything he needed but I politely declined. I have never been pushed to buy a food they sell, and the hypoallergenic food he was fed before raw was suggested to me by them, even though they didn't sell it.

I know someone else though, and he was advised at the same surgery but not the same vet, to not feed raw... He then gave me a lecture about salmonella... which really annoyed me because he didn't even want to feed raw, he just asked to have 'proof' to tell me I am wrong to feed what I do.

5. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Awww that's lovely.
    I think we need some more picturesz of her :)

6. Freddie and frank

Freddie and frank PetForums VIP

ahhh, that's nice to hear.
    don't think my vet knows i feed F&F raw but have told the nurse i intend to swap bella over but had no reaction.:001_unsure:

7. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Not at the moment you don't - just come back from a wet muddy walk. Not sure who is wet and muddiest, me or her! :D:D:D

8. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I mention it at the vets just to get a reaction. I love a good argument :lol: :p :eek:

Mine aren't too fussed with it - they don't like it but they don't push anything.

9. Urbanhowl

Urbanhowl PetForums Member

Glad Bess's checkup went well! Not surprised though, she always looks in great condition. :)

Jealous of the reaction you got though, to raw feeding! Mine with Nush was similar to one I'd get on here if I said I was feeding Bakers haha. Though thinking back on it I reckon my vets thought I was just feeding meat (imagine if he knew bone too! The horror) hence why I got a lecture over raw diet not giving enough calcium. :rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice